What color?

jdub

So, I have chosen my artist and what tattoo to get. Now ... color or black and grey? Can't seem to decide. The tattoo is American Traditional ... thoughts anyone?

1 hour ago, warrug25 said:

I'll agree with @Hogrider: such designs are inherently made to be coloured, a black & white rendition would be absolutely inappropriate (which does not necessarily mean it would be a ugly tattoo, though).

I am pretty sure I will be going with color ... but a lot of prominent American Traditional artists are also doing black and grey and they look good. So, inappropriate I'm not sure is the word I would use. It seems a lot of artists are doing their interpretation of the style with their own flash designs etc ... but yes I'm aware the the basic rules to the style. 

On 7/31/2021 at 7:42 PM, jdub said:

I am pretty sure I will be going with color ... but a lot of prominent American Traditional artists are also doing black and grey and they look good. So, inappropriate I'm not sure is the word I would use. It seems a lot of artists are doing their interpretation of the style with their own flash designs etc ... but yes I'm aware the the basic rules to the style. 

Please don't take my previous words the wrong way: I did not mean that greyscale tattoos are not admissible in the american traditional style, because I know nothing about the specific style and so I can't tell which rules (if any) it should follow. When I say that I find the greyscale rendition of that tattoo "inappropriate" what I mean is that in my opinion it would take away most of the peculiarities that make the specific design beautiful and/or noteworthy.

Edited by warrug25

• 3 weeks later...