Framing Original Artwork

tatB

So I made my first purchase of real art from some old dude named Thom deVita.... Now I'm trying to figure out how to frame/protect it. Is this something I can do on my own? Should I take it to a professional? How much should I expect to pay?

So I made my first purchase of real art from some old dude named Thom deVita.... Now I'm trying to figure out how to frame/protect it. Is this something I can do on my own? Should I take it to a professional? How much should I expect to pay?

Take it to a pro! Had my first real framing experience last month. Dropped off a small one from Bailey and a Rudendall print (the one he did for the cover of TAM) to get framed. The folks at the store were great and made me wanna spend the whole day there.. weirdly fun.

So, UV glass that shit and expect to pay $250-300 for the whole thing (depending on the size but I think most of 'em were like 11x14? Kinda makes sense when you see what goes into it and the fact that you're only framing it once for the rest of your life. Expensive but definitely worth it.

kinda looks weird to see his stuff in a fancy and expensive frame. thought about it myself when i got my first piece from him but it looks so foriegn and out of place in a fancy frame.

i understand why you want to but it looks so odd and personally i decided not to do it.

i think there is a reason why he doesnt hang his own work like that. i didnt go to the kings ave exhibit, but i did see photos, and every other time i've seen his shows the prints were taped up, and when i went to his house he doesnt go fancy with it either.

imo i suggest thinking outside of the box, or frame is it is, and try a different approach. maybe construct a frame out of found materials or old wood?

that's what i wound up doing with the first print i got from him; i used some old weathered wood boards that i found and used nails and cardboard and tape to construct it and (reluctantly, ha) used a piece of normal (i know its not uv but whatever) glass i had cut at the hardware store. you can bite my style if you want i dont mind.

- - - Updated - - -

not that i am poo-pooing expensive framing. i spend a mint on framing a big print by Joel Long and it was worth it.

• 6 months later...

After 8 months I finally got around to dropping my 3 Thom deVita pieces off at the local frame shop. The price tag on a custom frame job is humbling to say the least but I picked out a simple frame that has distressed finish and paired it with black matting. I'm excited about being able to properly display these awesome pieces. I'll post the finished product when I pick them up the week.

I'm a fan of just slapping stuff in weird old thrift store frames. Takes work to find them and make a matte, but whatever. Works fine enough for me. I don't get going to a framer, but honestly all I have are prints, nothing original, so I don't need to worry about screwing them up physically in the long term.