Sign in to follow this  
DoomsEve

Need Help!!!

Ok so... To keep it short i want to get a Lord of the Rings tattoo next January but i keep hitting mental blocks on getting the design together.... I wanna have the evil and good theme in the sleeve... Any tips and advice are greatly appreciated! 

Welcome to the forum. Here's my advice: 

Stop thinking about the design itself. To a competent artist, that would be their job. The part you need to worry about is finding someone competent of making the design. We can't tell from the above what your level of experience is, but while you can bring reference material in to assist in the design process - you don't want to bring a finished design in to just any old tattooist and expect a great tattoo. Educating yourself on how to recognize a good artist/tattooist is going to be the trick. 

To me this is the trickiest part of being a tattoo collector.  You need to express enough of your thoughts to the artist to convey what you're looking for without tying their hands or stepping on their toes.  Jeff Gogue has a very interesting video about his back piece and the need to surrender when getting a tattoo... as in trusting your artist and surrendering to their creativity.

Best of luck and show us what you get.