Religious tattoos...on the non-religious

slayer9019

I'm reading another good book called ''Discover the Power Within You''by Eric Butterworth.I just find myself believing more about buddhism,then Christianity.It seems like Catholic church just wants your money,and they tell you your going to hell if you don't act a certain way.I think their full of shit.They still send my grandmother envelopes for donations,and she hasn't gone to church in years.My tattoos aren't bad,but it seems like my beliefs have changed,and might as well change the tattoos.

Yea Abrahamic religions (Christian, Judaism, and Islamic religions and their spin-offs) do have that fear thing down pat, this has part to do with the fact that they all branched off from the same thing! The problem comes down to how you "read" any of these faiths. If literal, you will lead an interesting life (in the bible if a woman cheats on her husband she gets stoned to death, if you cut your beard you are damned, etc etc) or you can do what a lot of the Christian sects do and interpret the Bible (or insert any religious texts), under the assumption that it was written for the morals and depends on stories/ideas that generally shape your ideals, not to be read as literal.

Also the Catholic church has been a very rich entity for a very long time. (Just check out Vatican City!! It is fuckin gorgeous!)

This thread makes for very interesting reading, and it is refreshing that the consensus of opinon seems to be that people should do whatever they like in terms of using religious imagery in tattoos.

I was brought up as a catholic, an altar boy, catholic school, sunday school...the full bible bashing, god bothering enchilada. As a child I assumed I would become a catholic priest. I was brought up under that 'regime' pretty much against my will - plus images of Christianity are so ubiquitous and ingrained in our culture (and not always in a good way) that I would be pissed off if someone assumed that you can only have Christian influenced tattoos if you are 'of faith'. The Stations of the Cross were the first paintings I ever really looked at and studied. That imagery is in my marrow. The problems of organised religion and the influence of monotheism should not extend to what people choose to do to their bodies. Plus, some of those Old Testament stories are excellent mythological material for tattoos.

This thread makes for very interesting reading, and it is refreshing that the consensus of opinon seems to be that people should do whatever they like in terms of using religious imagery in tattoos.

I was brought up as a catholic, an altar boy, catholic school, sunday school...the full bible bashing, god bothering enchilada. As a child I assumed I would become a catholic priest. I was brought up under that 'regime' pretty much against my will - plus images of Christianity are so ubiquitous and ingrained in our culture (and not always in a good way) that I would be pissed off if someone assumed that you can only have Christian influenced tattoos if you are 'of faith'. The Stations of the Cross were the first paintings I ever really looked at and studied. That imagery is in my marrow. The problems of organised religion and the influence of monotheism should not extend to what people choose to do to their bodies. Plus, some of those Old Testament stories are excellent mythological material for tattoos.

I can't "like" this because I'm on my phone but you nailed it in my opinion

Thanks Slayer - and it gives me a great shoe-in to ask if you actually have a Holbein tattoo? I've been meaning to put that to you for months...

Not as of yet. I have yet to decide on an artist, but the front-runner seems to be Ducan X. I feel it needs to be the perfect artist that can capture the styling before I commit, since the Gustave Doré tattoo I have did not fall true enough to form. I own a few copies of the Dance of Death, and am still trying to find an original leaf to buy, but that looks damned near impossible!

If I was going to get a faithful Doré or Holbein I would go for Duncan in a flash. His woodcut/print influenced work is fucking great, not to mention his skeletons (no doubt you've seen his baby skeletons?). Which Doré are you going for? Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, Don Quixote...or Poe? His work is a great deal more intricate I guess, and the detail may be too fine for a faithful tattoo?

If I was going to get a faithful Doré or Holbein I would go for Duncan in a flash. His woodcut/print influenced work is fucking great, not to mention his skeletons (no doubt you've seen his baby skeletons?). Which Doré are you going for? Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, Don Quixote...or Poe? His work is a great deal more intricate I guess, and the detail may be too fine for a faithful tattoo?

Well...already got the Doré, actually as my first tattoo. It ended up being a mashup of the Inferno. Not exactly ecstatic about the outcome but eh first tattoo. The guy did at least do the whole thing single needle to get a ton of detail in there. I am still looking into the possiblity of getting another Doré tattoo, but I need to consider how fine-line stuff ages.

Here is a small piece of it :

imag0116_thumb.jpg

@Joe Shit, the irony is that, if you got lasered, you would actually see god. ;)

Seriously, though. If you're happy with them as tattoos, then keep them. I'm reading The God Delusion right now--a very eye-opening and brilliantly written book by Richard Dawkins--but I still love my religious tattoos.

I have that book too, and it's a damn good read. Richard Dawkins is a very insightful man. I don't necessarily agree with people who militant atheist or come across as too pushy, but when you read his statements, it's hard not to agree with his logic.

Im in no way religious but recently placed a giant St. Francis on my entire belly. It has a deeper meaning to me than its religious implications, so its all good in my book.

Get whatever you want if it makes you happy.

I still want to get a St.Francis too.I just cant think of a better image than him in the garden with all the animals.And the fact that he was a real person,and not someone made up.

Yea Abrahamic religions (Christian, Judaism, and Islamic religions and their spin-offs) do have that fear thing down pat, this has part to do with the fact that they all branched off from the same thing! The problem comes down to how you "read" any of these faiths. If literal, you will lead an interesting life (in the bible if a woman cheats on her husband she gets stoned to death, if you cut your beard you are damned, etc etc) or you can do what a lot of the Christian sects do and interpret the Bible (or insert any religious texts), under the assumption that it was written for the morals and depends on stories/ideas that generally shape your ideals, not to be read as literal.

Also the Catholic church has been a very rich entity for a very long time. (Just check out Vatican City!! It is fuckin gorgeous!)

My boss is a literal christian, meaning he believes every word to be the truth. Creationist to the extreme, believes the old testament, yada yada. Overall a real smart dude and overall nice guy, but it just dumbfounds me. He's even open minded to atheism, just knows that he's right and you're wrong.

I can't wrap my head around "believe this without any evidence, just do it" but no one applies that logic to any other thinking in life.

My boss is a literal christian, meaning he believes every word to be the truth. Creationist to the extreme, believes the old testament, yada yada. Overall a real smart dude and overall nice guy, but it just dumbfounds me. He's even open minded to atheism, just knows that he's right and you're wrong.

I can't wrap my head around "believe this without any evidence, just do it" but no one applies that logic to any other thinking in life.

the "faith" part of my brain must have broken at one point since I never believe anything without at least a hint of skepticism. Hell if I never fell I would say gravity was a lie! I also know a few literal Christians/Muslims. The problem is that the whole "believe without questioning" wanders to other topics outside of that which is religious, in my observations. Argument put as such..."I know your wrong...ME: Well look at this xyz....THEM: I dont care about looking at xyz....ME: But it is solid PROOF!....THEM: I dont believe you...ME: YOU NEVER LOOKED!!!!.....THEM: I dont have to, I know your wrong" This was an actually conversation (non-religous subject)

the "faith" part of my brain must have broken at one point since I never believe anything without at least a hint of skepticism. Hell if I never fell I would say gravity was a lie! I also know a few literal Christians/Muslims. The problem is that the whole "believe without questioning" wanders to other topics outside of that which is religious, in my observations. Argument put as such..."I know your wrong...ME: Well look at this xyz....THEM: I dont care about looking at xyz....ME: But it is solid PROOF!....THEM: I dont believe you...ME: YOU NEVER LOOKED!!!!.....THEM: I dont have to, I know your wrong" This was an actually conversation (non-religous subject)

Yea, the one thing I want to bring up to him to see what his answer is the fact that the old testament says day and night came before the sun and the moon, yet we all know without a doubt that can't be. Not even theory, because I understand science has it's flaws and that theories change, but that one does not. I just can't imagine a valid response to that argument. But maybe one day we shall see, he likes discussing religion in a respectable manner, so I don't mind those kinds of conversations with open minded individuals.

Yea, the one thing I want to bring up to him to see what his answer is the fact that the old testament says day and night came before the sun and the moon, yet we all know without a doubt that can't be. Not even theory, because I understand science has it's flaws and that theories change, but that one does not. I just can't imagine a valid response to that argument. But maybe one day we shall see, he likes discussing religion in a respectable manner, so I don't mind those kinds of conversations with open minded individuals.

It's tough when there are basically two entirely different Gods in the bible..

portions of the bible were never meant to be interpreted as literal events/actions. the way those texts were chosen and compiled to become what is now the bible was a political tool more than anything.

Sorry have to use my favorite quote (actually my wallpaper)

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” (mix and match your own words as it is a translation)

Well...already got the Doré, actually as my first tattoo. It ended up being a mashup of the Inferno. Not exactly ecstatic about the outcome but eh first tattoo. The guy did at least do the whole thing single needle to get a ton of detail in there. I am still looking into the possiblity of getting another Doré tattoo, but I need to consider how fine-line stuff ages.[/url]

Yeah, having had work done on me at last I can see why fine-line work is not such a great idea. I'm not an illustrator but would I be right in saying that Doré uses a lot of cross-hatching, and very, very fine work? I'm looking at my copy of Divine Comedy now (with Doré illustrations) and it does look like quite daunting. Holbein, on the other hand, uses thicker lines and I would say it lends itself better to a tattoo. Manilla too - his work is fucking great. Either way, Duncan would be yer man.

I still want to get a St.Francis too.I just cant think of a better image than him in the garden with all the animals.And the fact that he was a real person,and not someone made up.

He was a little crazy from what I have read about him as well. There are no animals around him... but there is a massive eagle chest piece right above him... I think that works out okay.

• 2 months later...