possibly hate my tattoo but i don't know. really need support

tattoodoubts

hi everyone. first of all im 27 and got my first visible tattoo. i got it 4 days ago and i feel like i have to admit that i hate it. but i'm not sure if my mind is messing with me. i have one other small tattoo on my ankle and this new one is my first visible one. it is on my upper arm right smack in the middle. very very noticeable to me. there are parts of the tattoo i think are alright and others i'm afraid make me hate it. and i'm horrified because its right on my arm forever. i'm not sure if i'm just terrified of the possibility that i hate it, or if i actually hate it. it's not even done healing. everyone around me likes it (it is very well done i think) and i have wanted visible tattoos and planned this particular one for a while. but i'm afraid maybe tattoos werent meant for me personally? i have been obsessively researching laser removal but i dont think thats an option for me because there are very bold lines and color (including small yellow parts) i can recognize the tattoo looks good but i'm afraid it isn't for me and i'm afraid i think its weird. it's eating me up inside and i cant eat or sleep or concentrate. i'm nauseated all day and don't know what to do with myself. obviously i cant go back in time and it seems i cant remove it but i wish i liked it thats all. if only it was somewhere not so visible. i mean im looking at this thing constantly. please you guys help me out here. if any one wants to see a pic i will send a PM. again the tattoo is done alright (i think) but i might still hate it. please tell me this happens to the more neurotic types of people and that i will end up liking my tatttoo.....

1 hour ago, JAC1961 said:

Firstly, some pics would help people understand what you're dealing with.  Secondly, you're doing this to yourself.  Take a deep breath and stop obsessing over it.  It takes a while to get used to a big change, relax and try to just ignore it for a few weeks.  It just a tattoo.

You’re very right I’m doing it to myself. I’m trying to chill but I can’t really get over the idea that I may not be into it. I will pm a photo.Thanks so much for replying to me

HEY been there and I feel for you. I second what JAC said.  Take a break from thinking about it or even looking at it for a while. Once the tattoo has settled and you are more used to it you might be surprised to find you actually like it and what you are experiencing now is just the panic of the concept rather than the art. 

I say this both as a fairly medium/heavily tattooed guy and also someone who tends to have strong negative reactions to most of the tattoos I get initially.

There have been a few I continued to dislike past the normal break in phase. For these, two of them were “fixed” by just adding more around them.  I found some of what I didn’t like was the placement or how much the stood out all alone. Also, adding took some of the attention away and then defects didn’t seem so annoying.

i have even started laser removal for one of them that I continued to regret.  I don’t recommend this method unless you have tons of extra cash, are good with horrible pain and don’t mind taking a couple years to complete the process.  I’m an open book on this experience so feel free to shoot me a message with any questions.

ultimatley, most of this tends to come down to temperament.  I tend to be the type of person who second guesses even what I order for dinner, of course I’m going to have difficulty adjusting to a tattoo.  That is until I have enough that each one doesn’t matter as much, which is where I’m at right now.  Now I go for the fun of getting one, to add to a spot, and/or to collect from an artist I’m super pumped about.  Before I had too much focus on the specific design and nothing was ever perfect enough.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

HEY been there and I feel for you. I second what JAC said.  Take a break from thinking about it or even looking at it for a while. Once the tattoo has settled and you are more used to it you might be surprised to find you actually like it and what you are experiencing now is just the panic of the concept rather than the art. 

I say this both as a fairly medium/heavily tattooed guy and also someone who tends to have strong negative reactions to most of the tattoos I get initially.

There have been a few I continued to dislike past the normal break in phase. For these, two of them were “fixed” by just adding more around them.  I found some of what I didn’t like was the placement or how much the stood out all alone. Also, adding took some of the attention away and then defects didn’t seem so annoying.

i have even started laser removal for one of them that I continued to regret.  I don’t recommend this method unless you have tons of extra cash, are good with horrible pain and don’t mind taking a couple years to complete the process.  I’m an open book on this experience so feel free to shoot me a message with any questions.

ultimatley, most of this tends to come down to temperament.  I tend to be the type of person who second guesses even what I order for dinner, of course I’m going to have difficulty adjusting to a tattoo.  That is until I have enough that each one doesn’t matter as much, which is where I’m at right now.  Now I go for the fun of getting one, to add to a spot, and/or to collect from an artist I’m super pumped about.  Before I had too much focus on the specific design and nothing was ever perfect enough.

How long did it take you to like them? Also, did you go through this dramatic of an adjustment period or am I just a freak haha. 

I also second guess things a lot,  I’m afraid I’ll second guess this thing forever. There are parts I like and parts I don’t, I’m totally nitpicking it and shit. I should’ve known I’d be this way! Friends of mine have shared that they’ve had tattoos they’re not thrilled with and putting stuff around them made it better because it was all part of the patchwork. I know for me right now obviously the answer is to chill and accept the one I have (or not) and go from there. Maybe this thing will help me stop nitpicking and just accept stuff. Lol maybe if I create a meaning it’ll help. Anyway, I really really appreciate you replying. It comforts me so much to know I’m not the only one. Everyone else around me just goes with the flow regarding tattoos, leading me to believe maybe I’m not the right type for them and I’m screwed? Almost like I’m having some identity crisis lol. See how much I overthink. 

Also- i’d love to PM you about your removal experience if that’s okay. Not making any decisions now, just want to see what all my options are.

Edited by tattoodoubts

I’d venture to guess that if this is only your second tattoo and first in a visible spot, your feelings of anxiety are completely reasonable and probably not too uncommon. Some of my friends have fun teasing me cause they know I tend to be very harsh and unsure about my tattoos. Compound this with the fact you can see 1,000’s of the best tattoos from the best artists all around the world, refreshing on your instagram feed hourly. AND the fact that you can appreciate all of those without the consequences of getting them and it makes even more sense why one would second guess, go through shock or feel a sense of regret.

It’s actually probably a big part of the power and statement of tattoos, a sense of live for today, don’t care about tomorrow, self assured impression whether actual or just imagined. 

In conclusion, take the advice you’ve received so far and stop looking at it or thinking about it at least until it’s completely healed, settled in, no longer shiny and overly saturated looking.    Give yourself permission not to deal with it about it for at least three months before you can make a reasonable, levelheaded decision or opinion about it.   

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I’d venture to guess that if this is only your second tattoo and first in a visible spot, your feelings of anxiety are completely reasonable and probably not too uncommon. Some of my friends have fun teasing me cause they know I tend to be very harsh and unsure about my tattoos. Compound this with the fact you can see 1,000’s of the best tattoos from the best artists all around the world, refreshing on your instagram feed hourly. AND the fact that you can appreciate all of those without the consequences of getting them and it makes even more sense why one would second guess, go through shock or feel a sense of regret.

It’s actually probably a big part of the power and statement of tattoos, a sense of live for today, don’t care about tomorrow, self assured impression whether actual or just imagined. 

In conclusion, take the advice you’ve received so far and stop looking at it or thinking about it at least until it’s completely healed, settled in, no longer shiny and overly saturated looking.    Give yourself permission not to deal with it about it for at least three months before you can make a reasonable, levelheaded decision or opinion about it.   

This is really well put, I really appreciate this input. I think as I was planning this tattoo I didn't realize I was admiring it on my phone all the time and not on my body. The thought of having it there forever is still messing with me (again this never happened with my other one..) I'm taking a break from staring at it for now haha.

• 1 year later...

Hey! I'm going through the exact same thing as you, freaking out so much since I got my first tattoo in a visible spot (front of my upper arm) Saturday. Just wondering how you are doing now? 

I know I have to give it time but I'm second guessing & hating myself so much for, even though I took two years to think about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, araylinne said:

Hey! I'm going through the exact same thing as you, freaking out so much since I got my first tattoo in a visible spot (front of my upper arm) Saturday. Just wondering how you are doing now? 

I know I have to give it time but I'm second guessing & hating myself so much for, even though I took two years to think about it. 

just checking in, hoping your second guessing and self hate has subsided a bit. Getting your first visible tattoo is a pretty big step. There are some threads here on LST that might help, if you do a little searching. 

FYI, this is a pretty old thread, relative to how long a lot of folks have been staying on this forum lately, so you might not get a response from the OP... especially since they only have 4 posts total.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel the same, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I realise this is an old thread but I think sharing my thoughts will help me. I got a new tattoo a couple of days ago, and I've been having trouble liking it as much as I did before I got it tattooed. Before this I already had 2 tattoos that I am happy with, these ones are smaller than the one I just got. I've always been a fan of smaller tattoos, and i had planned for this one to be small too, however, the artist said to get certain details in i would have to get it a bit bigger. It is on my left arm and is very noticible. Now i just feel stupid when anyone sees it or compliments it because i think they are judging me. I keep thinking that i've ruined my body and that i'll despise myself for getting it when im older. I wish i was able to see it from an objective perspective, but maybe not because i dont know how i'd react if i realised it was genuinely bad. Anyway hopefully i overcome this issue soon!