Tight-Lines

it's really a spice you have to cook with, and as a warning, it turns everything a bright yellow, but it's great with potatoes or other veggies. it's a lot milder than curry, but it's almost got a buttery flavor. i'd put a little with some potatoes while sauteing them or some caulliflower (or both!). it's good with carrots, and with garbanzo beans (it's used in a lot of thai and indian dishes). if you've got an ethnic grocery store near you, i'd recommend buying it from there. i once bought a huge bag of it from an indian market for $1 and it lasted me for 2 years!

Tried it tonight with some on baked cauliflower, very good!

Also made a stew type thing: potatoes, bell peppers, garlic, onion in a veggie stock with dumplings seasoned with mustard, cumin, rosemary and basil. It came out pretty good for a "what can I dump in a pot?" dinner. :)

• 3 weeks later...

i got into another cooking fit this weekend and calories sooooo did not matter! i just wanted to try and make everything!

so i made:

butter chicken- it is my most favorite indian dish! due to all the cream in it i only make it once in a blue moon!

2 types of empanadas- i took a recipe from a mexican cook book that used a butter and cornmeal pastry for the outside and tomato seafood stew like filling. the other was a ground chicken, egg, olives and cheese filling in a non traditional pie crust pastry. both turned out so yummy! i served them with a fresh made salsa!

i have been making my own pizza dough and trying different combinations of flour. i have been hooked on pizza with no red sauce just olive oil, oregano, roasted vegg, goat cheese and parm and baked until crispy. as i type i have a crust par baking becasue i really want to make a sweet pizza. i think im going to put lindt chocolate, toasted coconut, pistachio, maybe some dried fruit and marshmallows. mmmmm!

i finaly got to BBQ after waiting and waiting! i made a ton of chicken souvlaki kabobs and did the same with mushrooms,red onion, zucchini and red peppers. when they were on the grill i brushed them with an herb dressing. fantastic!!! i also put asparagus and corn on there and it gives them the best flavour! then instead of butter and salt on the corn i put lime, mayo, chilli powder and cheese......gross sounding but soooooo good! tyler florence was talking about it on the food network, done by a restaurant in SF i think?

I heard a new to me cooking trick the other night that I have tried out three time this week that has made a world of difference in flavor.....don't add fresh soft herbs until the last few minutes of your dish, turn off heat, and stir in.

I cooked a simple pasta the other night in a butter and garlic sauce with peas, tomatoes, and tossed in the basil last minute...

Last night I tried the same trick but dropped green onions in the seasoned meat for tacos last minute....

Then tonight cooked pasta again but cooked ground beef, garlic, & pepper then dropped the al dente pasta in the meat to reduce in the grease threw some marinara over it and basil at the last minute...

...so simple but such a tasty difference.

Anyone else have any "tricks" they use and want to share in the kitchen?

My partner makes a shit hot paella. The most important ingredient is the rice.

170g/6oz chorizo, cut into thin slices

110g/4oz pancetta, cut into small dice

2 cloves garlic finely chopped

1 large Spanish onion, finely diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 tsp soft thyme leaves

¼ tsp dried red chilli flakes

570ml/1pint calasparra (Spanish short-grain) rice

1 tsp paprika

125ml/4fl oz dry white wine

1.2 litres/2 pints chicken stock, heated with ¼ tsp saffron strands

8 chicken thighs, each chopped in half and browned

18 small clams, cleaned

110g/4oz fresh or frozen peas

4 large tomatoes, de-seeded and diced

125ml/4fl oz good olive oil

1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled

12 jumbo raw prawns, in shells

450g/1lb squid, cleaned and chopped into bite-sized pieces

5 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method

1.Heat half the olive oil in a paella dish or heavy-based saucepan. Add the chorizo and pancetta and fry until crisp. Add the garlic, onion and pepper and heat until softened. Add the thyme, chilli flakes and calasparra rice, and stir until all the grains of rice are nicely coated and glossy. Now add the paprika and dry white wine and when it is bubbling, pour in the hot chicken stock, add the chicken thighs and cook for 5-10 minutes.

2.Now place the clams into the dish with the join facing down so that the edges open outwards. Sprinkle in the peas and chopped tomatoes and continue to cook gently for another 10 minutes.

3.Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil with the garlic cloves in a separate pan and add the prawns. Fry quickly for a minute or two then add them to the paella. Now do the same with the squid and add them to the paella too.

4.Scatter the chopped parsley over the paella and serve immediately

thanks for the recipe...i bought a new paella pan and some imported chorizo so i have been meaning to make...

My partner makes a shit hot paella. The most important ingredient is the rice.

170g/6oz chorizo, cut into thin slices

110g/4oz pancetta, cut into small dice

2 cloves garlic finely chopped

1 large Spanish onion, finely diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 tsp soft thyme leaves

¼ tsp dried red chilli flakes

570ml/1pint calasparra (Spanish short-grain) rice

1 tsp paprika

125ml/4fl oz dry white wine

1.2 litres/2 pints chicken stock, heated with ¼ tsp saffron strands

8 chicken thighs, each chopped in half and browned

18 small clams, cleaned

110g/4oz fresh or frozen peas

4 large tomatoes, de-seeded and diced

125ml/4fl oz good olive oil

1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled

12 jumbo raw prawns, in shells

450g/1lb squid, cleaned and chopped into bite-sized pieces

5 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method

1.Heat half the olive oil in a paella dish or heavy-based saucepan. Add the chorizo and pancetta and fry until crisp. Add the garlic, onion and pepper and heat until softened. Add the thyme, chilli flakes and calasparra rice, and stir until all the grains of rice are nicely coated and glossy. Now add the paprika and dry white wine and when it is bubbling, pour in the hot chicken stock, add the chicken thighs and cook for 5-10 minutes.

2.Now place the clams into the dish with the join facing down so that the edges open outwards. Sprinkle in the peas and chopped tomatoes and continue to cook gently for another 10 minutes.

3.Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil with the garlic cloves in a separate pan and add the prawns. Fry quickly for a minute or two then add them to the paella. Now do the same with the squid and add them to the paella too.

4.Scatter the chopped parsley over the paella and serve immediately

• 1 month later...

so this is what ive been up to for the last week:

i had a Canada day party on the first of July and invited a bunch of the ladies i work with to watch the fireworks display at Onatrio PLace from my balcony. Most of the ladies are new to Canada and therefore most of them do not have citizenship yet and alot of them told me how much my little Canada day party ment to them. it was very touching. anyway onto the food:

i had a cheese and charcuterie plate with some flatbread crackers, spinach dip and artichoke asiago cheese dip mmmmmm

i made lemon curd squares (i used whole wheat flour to change it up), profitiroles with a french custard cream filling and drizzled with dark chocolate- i havent made these since pastry school, it was so fun to make them again!, vegan mocha chocolate cake filled with a "buttercream" and topped with plenty of ganche, vegan vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean "buttercream", raw peanut and almond cups (similar to a reeses PB cup just a raw version), and mini cheesecakes with either a blueberry brandy compote or cinnamon rum peach compote. there was soooooo much food as my guests brought stuff as well, it was a really special night!

as just today as i was cleaning out my fridge freezer i found wonton wrappers at the back and decided i should use them as i couldnt remember how long ago i bought them!! anyway i made egg rolls with a ground chicken edemame and asian flavour filling. i tried different techniques as i had large wrappers and small ones. i made egg rolls, i made little dumpling like ones that i baked, and then the left over wrappers i just quick fried them and sprinkled cinnamon sugar ontop and they were gobbled up just like that. i should add that though the baked ones were tastey when those little wrappers are baked they become very hard and sharp and there is a great chance you are going to cut the inside of your mouth- something i just learned today!! hahaha

it has been one week of some very tasty food!

so this is what ive been up to for the last week:

i had a Canada day party on the first of July and invited a bunch of the ladies i work with to watch the fireworks display at Onatrio PLace from my balcony. Most of the ladies are new to Canada and therefore most of them do not have citizenship yet and alot of them told me how much my little Canada day party ment to them. it was very touching. anyway onto the food:

i had a cheese and charcuterie plate with some flatbread crackers, spinach dip and artichoke asiago cheese dip mmmmmm

i made lemon curd squares (i used whole wheat flour to change it up), profitiroles with a french custard cream filling and drizzled with dark chocolate- i havent made these since pastry school, it was so fun to make them again!, vegan mocha chocolate cake filled with a "buttercream" and topped with plenty of ganche, vegan vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean "buttercream", raw peanut and almond cups (similar to a reeses PB cup just a raw version), and mini cheesecakes with either a blueberry brandy compote or cinnamon rum peach compote. there was soooooo much food as my guests brought stuff as well, it was a really special night!

as just today as i was cleaning out my fridge freezer i found wonton wrappers at the back and decided i should use them as i couldnt remember how long ago i bought them!! anyway i made egg rolls with a ground chicken edemame and asian flavour filling. i tried different techniques as i had large wrappers and small ones. i made egg rolls, i made little dumpling like ones that i baked, and then the left over wrappers i just quick fried them and sprinkled cinnamon sugar ontop and they were gobbled up just like that. i should add that though the baked ones were tastey when those little wrappers are baked they become very hard and sharp and there is a great chance you are going to cut the inside of your mouth- something i just learned today!! hahaha

it has been one week of some very tasty food!

vegan chocolate mocha cake sounds amazing right now.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my employees lives/works on a blueberry farm and recently hooked me up with some fresh picked blueberries; tonight I made blueberry with lime zest jam. The bottles are cooling right now; I should be making an amazing pb&j tomorrow if all goes well!

coincidentally, i picked 5 lbs of olallieberries on saturday. currently freezing a bunch of them to make pie and syrup with later. don't have the time to do it right now unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
vegan chocolate mocha cake sounds amazing right now.
I live on meat and that sounds hella good.

just saw these comments!! thanks guys! this recipe is soooo good! i cant remember where i got the recipe but it is one of my favorites! the cake is so fluffy and moist and you cant even tell that the ganache isnt made with cream or butter! seriously i think about it and it makes my mouth water!

With the summer comes lots and lots of ice cream!! i bought some new books a couple weeks ago. one on gelato and one calle perfect scoop by David Lebovitz. that guy is amazing when it comes to ice cream!

so far ive made:

Bacio (chocolate hazelnut)

Pistachio

Peanut butter w/ peanut and chocolate chunks

Fig goat cheese ice cream - its soooo good! i top it with clover honey and toasted walnuts. i tell you its the perfect dessert!

Expresso ice cream - i made this one into a cake for a friends birthday

Coconut Lemon grass sorbet (dairy free)