Tight-Lines

• 2 weeks later...
if the insides too soft maybe you didnt bake them long enough? did the top of the cupcake start to form a dimple when they cooled?

its hard to tell without seeing it! could be the wrong ratio of wet to dry ingrediants also(depends where the recipe came from)!

So sorry its taken me soooo long to respond. From what I remember theu actually started to get really dark on the tops of them. I also have no idea what the ratio of wet to dry was. I have never baked anything, and probably mixed something up.

Thanks again!

Tonight I'm going to be cooking a silkie chicken.

http://static.mypetchicken.com/images/chickenPix/large/Studio_WSilkie_649_L.jpg with feathers.

http://polloplayer.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/2009_03_25-blackchicken.jpg without feathers.

I expect good things.

I also made some epically pungent pickled eggs tonight. Each jar topped with a hard boiled quail's egg.

My kitchen is very confusing tonight.

these are the chickens we are going to raise...they are super cute but in asia called "black chicken" and a delicacy. if i get any roosters i'll send them your way so you can eat them ;)

i am picking up about 6 silkies hoping that 2-3 are hens...

• 2 weeks later...

Jake smoked up twelve pounds of pork shoulder last week so I took some of it and slow cooked in a lemon, lime, parsley broth yesterday for an additional four hours to make tacos with homemade salsa fresca. We'll then use the broth for a mexican soup soon.

yesterday my roommate made tamales with potatoes and spiced tsp, along with homemade refried beans and mole sauce. then we attempted to make a quick version of avocado ice cream with sweet hot sauce, but it definitely needs more tweaking before it can be called perfect.

tomorrow, i think i'm going to make caramel cupcakes with mocha frosting.

yesterday my roommate made tamales with potatoes and spiced tsp, along with homemade refried beans and mole sauce. then we attempted to make a quick version of avocado ice cream with sweet hot sauce, but it definitely needs more tweaking before it can be called perfect.

tomorrow, i think i'm going to make caramel cupcakes with mocha frosting.

in vietnam they actually make an avocado smoothie that is really yummy...but made with sweetened condensed milk so wouldn't work for you...love mole!

Does anyone know any dishes that can be made from a stove top and rice cooker and microwave... Space is very limited here in Japan and I do miss some good old American eats that don't take a oven to finish baking in.

what type of food do you like? chicken piccata is easy and doesn't need to be finished in the oven,

chicken fried steak

macaroni and cheese

chicken tikka masala

chili

steak dishes

lemon sole

blackened salmon

tell me what you like and it might jog my memory more

Today was an all day cooking day.

Course 1 - Split Pea soup with bacon and broth made from leftover smoked pork shoulder scraps

Course 2 - Arugula, basil, tomato, mozzarella, and EVOO/banyuls dressing

Course 3 - Rack of pork with roasted garlic rosemary potatoes

Course 4 - Peach cobbler

mmmmmm

Today was an all day cooking day.

Course 1 - Split Pea soup with bacon and broth made from leftover smoked pork shoulder scraps

Course 2 - Arugula, basil, tomato, mozzarella, and EVOO/banyuls dressing

Course 3 - Rack of pork with roasted garlic rosemary potatoes

Course 4 - Peach cobbler

mmmmmm

yummy...i love split pea soup and it sounds like yours will have an extra smokey flavor. if you guys eat alot of arugala you should grow it. literally grows like a weed. i don't even need to replant it every year...just replants itself. i have abunch of seeds.

i love arugula pesto.

last night, i went to a potluck with my new roommates. we brought Davey's famous sourdough (seriously, it's the best sourdough I've ever had), plus homemade onion fiesta! pizza (4 types of onions + leeks made in various ways with cashew cheeze, on a thick, sourdough, sicilian crust), and then ended up having basic salad, a bean salad, nacho pie, dirty rice, purple yams, and chick-o-stick cupcakes, all while watching the original The Longest Yard. it ruled.

Where's mine?

didn't make them yet, and the flavor has switched to strawberry lemonade as i'm dying for summer and lemons were abundant at the farmers market. they're getting made tonight or tomorrow night, so i'll make sure to bring some over.

didn't make them yet, and the flavor has switched to strawberry lemonade as i'm dying for summer and lemons were abundant at the farmers market. they're getting made tonight or tomorrow night, so i'll make sure to bring some over.

yum some of my favorite flavor combos...i also love making rasperry cupcakes with a lime frosting...we were so overloaded with meyer lemons the last month. so fun to cook with!

ps. arugala pesto is sooo good. so peppery.

yum some of my favorite flavor combos...i also love making rasperry cupcakes with a lime frosting...we were so overloaded with meyer lemons the last month. so fun to cook with!

ps. arugala pesto is sooo good. so peppery.

made arugula pesto last night since two of my roommates had never had it. and had some in spicy tomato soup that my roommate just made since i'm sick!

I love this thread, though I shouldn't read it before lunch.

I've recently discovered the awesomeness that is curry and rosemary, so I've been trying them out on everything I can think of.

have you tried turmeric yet? i like it more than curry.

I haven't played with that yet. Is it good on veggies, like potato or green beans? Maybe I'll give it a spin this weekend.

it's really a spice you have to cook with, and as a warning, it turns everything a bright yellow, but it's great with potatoes or other veggies. it's a lot milder than curry, but it's almost got a buttery flavor. i'd put a little with some potatoes while sauteing them or some caulliflower (or both!). it's good with carrots, and with garbanzo beans (it's used in a lot of thai and indian dishes). if you've got an ethnic grocery store near you, i'd recommend buying it from there. i once bought a huge bag of it from an indian market for $1 and it lasted me for 2 years!