Tight-Lines

@dcostello

You mean we're expected to think ahead and prepare healthy meals and get to work on time? That dog rarely hunts.

Got some new mexican cookbooks (Dos Caminos / Wahaca). Stocked on various dried chillis grown in Devon. Debating whether to try to make chicken tinga or use this mole paste I've been sitting on for a while.

It's mexican week, baby...

Breakfast tacos... We got some smoked bacon, some freshly-made guacamole and some mexican scrambled eggs.... Turned out pretty good for a first time.

Meanwhile I have black beans soaking and a mole poblano paste waiting to get started for dinner.

I gather that this kind of mole often goes with turkey or poached chicken, but in this instance I am going to take my chances and just roast a chicken (gonna keep it real simple and just season it with salt and pepper). Going to serve it with refried beans and I'm going to barbeque some corn on the cob too, marinaded in lime and some paprika.

The good thing about days off is that I actually have the bloody time to waste on this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

you are pretty much the same thing we ate AT THE SAME TIME...weird.

we had brisket and baked beans this weekend also.

been eating spinach/arugula salad w/pom dressing every weekday...so to offset...

19 hour smoked brisket...and yea, still eating leftovers :)

goodnight sweet prince...

400484_10151041085913244_522775846_n.jpg

probe says done...

581565_10151042076508244_1149712107_n.jpg

libations

539560_10151042169783244_1271254841_n.jpg

plated up

399032_10151042258228244_969283625_n.jpg

@Androosh

Short answer: I have a hand crusher thing that mashes / pulps the garlic gloves and I just add it after the onions have softened.

Long answer: I used about 75mls of olive oil in a pan and add 3-4 chopped onions. After about 10 minutes or when they're translucent / softening I add the 4 garlic cloves for 1 minute (I have a kind of pulper / crusher for the cloves that I find works better than chopping 'em). I try and keep the heat down to avoid scorching the garlic and in any case then I add 4-5 tins of good quality chopped tomatoes, some sun-dried tomato paste and salt and pepper. I cook it on a low heat for about 40 mins to an hour and add fresh basil for the last 10-20 minutes.

I made the meatballs seperately, fairly conventionally - 1800g or so of good quality minced beef, 4 eggs, fair chunk of grated cheese, a grated onion (!), another pulped garlic clove, hefty dose of oregano, salt, pepper, rolled 'em in flour and then browned them before adding them to the sauce.

• 1 month later...