carmen1979

How do tattoos age when place over joints?

I'm talking about over knees, elbows, or the ditch of the arm? I have a tattoo on my foot that is about 10 years old. Everything has stayed clean and crisp except right over the "knuckle" (or the end of my metatarsal bone) on my big toe. There it's blurry and spread out. I can only assume this is b/c of the constant movement over that joint. So I'm nervous about getting tattooed over my knee or one of the other big joints. Any experience you guys can share?

I'm talking about over knees, elbows, or the ditch of the arm? I have a tattoo on my foot that is about 10 years old. Everything has stayed clean and crisp except right over the "knuckle" (or the end of my metatarsal bone) on my big toe. There it's blurry and spread out. I can only assume this is b/c of the constant movement over that joint. So I'm nervous about getting tattooed over my knee or one of the other big joints. Any experience you guys can share?

Your big toe could be blurry and spread out because you might have socks on? or shoes rubbing on that specific joint? thats what i feel could be happening.

I have had my knee tattooed for about 2 years now and it is still looking great. I'm a builder too so am always kneeling down and so on and it's still looking good!

In my experience, the reason most have issues with the more abused areas of skin, like elbows and heels, is because the body sheds and regenerates thicker more "callused" skin to compensate for such abuse. So basicly your tattoo will age more rapidly under thicker regenerating skin, while at the same time disappear in the cracks and crevises in the callused skin. Also on that note, palms and soles regenerate skin more rapidly as well hence ink also will age and fade away more rapidly all the same. Thats in most cases however, I've seen people who had no issues and ink age just the same in those areas, as other parts of the body.

I just got a tattoo in the ditch of my arm and I am concerned about how it will hold up too. My artist told me to be careful with it, which I am, but it's a an area that has so much movement. Best of luck.