Sign in to follow this  
gougetheeyes

Old pirate head design

Been wondering about this old go-to and Nikki Balls just posted one she did, so thought I'd bring it up. The old pirate head with the knife in his mouth.. anyone know the origins? Been around forever, it seems. I looked through a couple books quick and found a Bert Grimm one but it wasn't the bandana-wearing, shaggy-headed dude. He seems so specific that I wonder if it's like that burly Ed Hardy gorilla head that just keeps getting re-done and tweaked a bit. Any idears? Someone's gotta know.

http://www.facebook.com/nikki.balls

6943590438_3f6ed4fb74_b | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really like this piece of flash. I have been thinking about putting it on my knee,with a spiderweb behind it, for about a year now. I assume that the date on the image I attached is correct. If so then it is older than the Sailor Jerry one that we all know so well.

Yeah, there he is! @Avery Taylor -- why am I not seeing a date on that sheet..?

The image on the bottom right says 1944 in the banner. I assume that was the year the sheet was painted, but maybe not.

HA! I zoomed in and looked all around the edges of the sheet but failed to look for date in the actual design.. d'oh.

i know i've seen different versions of that design by bert grimm and cap coleman so it's not a sailor jerry original design. charlie barr did it with hat instead of bandana. i bet there are like 5000000000 different versions of it!