Straight or DE razor fans?

slayer9019

It's just gone 1am in the UK. I've taken the plunge and bought this.

A Dovo Dovo Red Black Star Straight Razor.

I blame you @slayer9019 ;)

You're welcome :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

It's just gone 1am in the UK. I've taken the plunge and bought this.

A Dovo Dovo Red Black Star Straight Razor.

I blame you @slayer9019 ;)

I'm not gunna lie I have a seriously uncanny ability to cause people to spend large sums of money quickly with minimal interaction. Today alone I have got 2 other people to purchase entire shaving setups. I really don't try I swear!

- - - Updated - - -You're welcome :cool:

I'm not gunna lie I have a seriously uncanny ability to cause people to spend large sums of money quickly with minimal interaction. Today alone I have got 2 other people to purchase entire shaving setups. I really don't try I swear!

@slayer9019 Most uncanny , sounds exactly like the behaviour of girls I used to know .

Everything old is new again, eh?!

When I first started shaving, really, it was just that choice, straight-razor or d.e. I used a straight-razor at first, then changed to what was called a "safety-razor", or what is called a d.e. here. I stopped shaving when I was 21, but started again, what, maybe ten years ago. Don't shave it all, but what I do shave, I typically use an electric razor.

For soap, Williams, what else?! It's like .49 a cake, and fits in the bottom of your mug just fine. I still shave with a blade every few weeks, just to keep the electric honest. Typically use a straight-razor...I've got six of 'em I rotate, everything from an English model from the 1800's to a relatively new German one from the early thirties.

Only thing I can say is strop hell out of 'em, and before you butcher yourself, shave a balloon. When you can shave a few balloons in a row without popping 'em, you're good to go!

And for any of you rich blade-shaving aficionados, I have a brand-new, in the box, WWII-vintage safety-razor. Gots to imagine it's a Gillette, but I will check if anyone is interested. Open to any offer.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice thread.

I use a straight razor - mainly at weekends or holidays due to the added time it takes me to strop and shave with a straight razor over a normal cartridge razor. Personally, I'm not sure that it works out any cheaper but I certainly enjoy shaving with a decent piece of German Solingen or vintage English Sheffield steel!

And for those of us in love with Japanese style tattoos/body suits - there's always the option of shaving with a Japanese steel straight razor too - if one can afford it!!

• 2 weeks later...

This was my stash of shaving gear about a year ago. Unfortunately, it's grown. I've since settled on 4 razors (Edwin Jagger is my favorite) and 3-4 blade types. I tried straights but didn't care for them (not sharp enough and too much maintenance). I've been working through my soaps and creams and I have about 3 more years to go assuming I don't make any new purchases, which is hard to do.

3467w46.jpg