My ankle coverup so far

sbhikes

I had a 20-year-old ankle bracelet of small flowers I have hated for pretty much all 20 years. Last night I went in for my cover-up. It is not finished.

Here is the side that is done. I think it is done anyway.

8675839508_ca7b826891_z.jpg

Here's the front

8675840646_1934643cc7_z.jpg

Here's the side that isn't done where you can see the old stuff

8674735923_1808b43546_z.jpg

Here's where it meets in the back

8675841970_a2396c7f16_z.jpg

I lack any artistic skill so basically it was all up to the artist. My only suggestion was bigger flowers and then after he drew them and there was that empty space in the front, I suggested those red ball thingies. He's a genius as far as I'm concerned. Look at those amazing leaves! Even the leaves are beautiful. I was really scared when I saw how big he was going but oh my god, look at how nice it looks on my big fat leg!

We ran out of time last night and I was getting pretty swollen and exhausted. I am really looking forward to seeing the final product.

(P.S. The map and emblem of the Pacific Crest Trail were already there.)

• 2 weeks later...

My coverup is finished.

The inside rose done last night:

8718058038_07d2ef6135.jpg

An attempt to take a picture of the whole thing.

8718087248_d12d2041b6_z.jpg

I'm happy that I do not have to look at the old tattoo anymore. Even though this new tattoo is a lot bigger than I ever would have chosen for myself, I think it fits my chunky leg better. I'm looking forward to maybe one day putting a butterfly on the front of my shin where there isn't much showing but red antenna balls.

I think I'm done getting tattoos for a while. It really hurt a lot last night, like having poison oak in a way.

what a small world! Who did your tattoo, Johnny?

- - - Updated - - -

Santa Barbara. And yes, if you have seen it, that is my web site.

and now that I think about it, we may have met before. Did J at Otherworld do your Oregon Trail tattoo?

J is a good friend of mine, I believe I was there when you got it. The first time you posted the rose I noticed the trail tattoo and thought it looked familiar. I didn't mention it before because I figured it was just a 'hiker' tattoo.

As far as Johnny, I just recognize his style of traditional roses. No one in town that I'm aware of has that style :D

J is a good friend of mine, I believe I was there when you got it. The first time you posted the rose I noticed the trail tattoo and thought it looked familiar. I didn't mention it before because I figured it was just a 'hiker' tattoo.

As far as Johnny, I just recognize his style of traditional roses. No one in town that I'm aware of has that style :D

Wow, you remember from long ago. So were you the guy with all the gray sea scene stuff on his leg? I remember a really cool seahorse. J does really nice tattoos. I think he did a great job with mine even though it didn't require any creativity on his end.

Funny slighltly unrelated but I questioned a young girl at the Italian Bakery about who did her tattoo, because I didn't recognize anyone in town that tattooed like that and sure enough she went across the river into washington to get it done. It wasn;t that the tattoo was that unique it was pinup girl on a phonograph, just the color palate, the amount of black in it, the general approach to it, didn't ring North Portland (Atlas or AWR, Infinity), the only thing I could think of was Scapegoat, but there was something about it that told me she didn't get it there. It wasn't traditional enough to be done at most shops, but too traditional to be done at the others. This has to be some sort of LST X-men type trait.

I have sometimes seen tattoos on reddit and thought to myself I have seen that tattoo before and sure enough someone in Santa Barbara has it. Now I understand why police ask about tattoos. They really do identify people. I mean, if Ian is the guy with the seahorse on his leg, I can't even tell you what his face looks like or what color hair he has, but I would recognize the seahorse if I saw it again.

As for my roses, when I came home with them my first thought was that these roses are really unusual. I have never seen one done like this. I wasn't sure if I liked the style, but then I usually don't like the way any roses are done. The red ball thingies were my idea because there was a big empty spot on the front of my leg. All these really pretty tattoos I've seen have little details added that ordinary artists might not even think of, and one of my favorite little rose accessories is the red ball thingie. I'm not sure I like my red ball thingies after all. But when I look at the whole thing I am very happy with the whole thing, red balls and all. So colorful, so big and blue, so bold. It suits me I think.

It needs a butterfly now in the front. But I'll wait for a good time to add that. Maybe next year. I think I'm done getting tattoos for a while.

Oh and Ian if you are still reading my boring post, in case you ever mention this to J, let him know that his tattoo changed everything for me. It was the first really good tattoo I ever had. He did perfect lines, everything so crisp, even the corners. But what changed everything was that it was so big and the subject matter is something all my friends can envy. All the positive feedback made me realize having a tattoo can be fun. It made me want to fix all my ugly old tattoos. I may go back to J someday for future new tattoos. There are three guys in SB I've gotten good tattoos from now. It's fun to try new tattooers.