Hi from Orlando, choosing between two artists for 1st tattoo!

mangoose

Hi there! I'm Dan, currently a student in Orlando, Florida. Currently working on getting my first tattoo.

I did a great amount of research using this awesome forum, and from there I went through portfolios all around my area. Especially the artists recommended on LST. Now, I am choosing between two artists:

Mike Wilson & David Bruehl

:cool:

I really like both of their oriental-mixed-with-neo/traditional styles. So my main requirements are that I want that oriental/traditional or similar (or something even more creative/unique?) style in the tattoo of a horse and a tiger. Preferably yin-yangish in pose, and I dislike anything cartoony.

Are there any reasons you can come up with based on my desired basic design, that would make you choose one artist over the other? I've heard Mike Wilson can do everything, but I've also seen great things in David Bruehl's instagram.

Or should I just flip a coin? :cool:

Edit: Side question. Would that design (horse and tiger) be able to done (well) in a medium tattoo or require a large tattoo? Or, would it be able to be knocked out in a single 3 hour session? I'm willing to go for multiple sessions, but both artists are (just 2 hours) out of town so I'll have to plan ahead in my calendar more if necessary.

I'd go with David Bruehl, but that's just because he's from the same town as me, and I've seen a bunch of his work in person, more than anything else.

I'm actually in discussions with him for a piece... currently delayed because I'm on a longer contract than normal and it'll be awhile before I can get to Florida.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! And welcome!!! :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@BrianH Haha I've thought about that but I feel like one artist designing would make it more cohesive. I'll just get a second, separate tattoo from the other tattooist later :p

@ReDile I want to leave it up to the artist and the design, and it needs to be coverable with a short sleeved shirt and slacks. After that I prefer on the shoulder or the chest (one side, not a panel), or both shoulder and chest :p

Actually my main concern about multiple sessions is that I want to keep up with my exercise and lifting. I read it's not good to flex the muscle under the skin your tattoo is on while it's healing?

Edit: Basically I'm training pretty seriously on a pullup program. Would a tattoo-in-healing on the shoulder and/or chest be affected by that (stretched?)? What if, say, the tattoo were on the upper back or rear shoulder?

This is must my .02, which you are free to disregard because I am not your tattooer. But! This is what I think would look great and compromise with your pull-up regimen.

Blast out your ribs. There is a lot of really great space there for the kind of larger vertical design you have in mind. Or you could move the whole design more toward your stomach and have the tiger on one side and the horse on the other coming at each other toward the center. And while any exercise is going to affect a healing tattoo, at least it won't be in an area that gets immediate movement.

Excellent choices! You have a great dilemma. As for pull-ups, as long as you're keeping your new tattoos covered (gyms are a staph farm), you should be fine. If you're doing your pull-ups at home, even better.

And I like @BrianH's suggestion of a tiger from Mike and horses from Dave. But really, you should get tattooed by both of them.

Hmmmm I'm just in love with these few of Mike Wilson's recent tattoos, the mix in style is great. And the snake/eagle is just awesome on its own merit.

@mikewilsontattoo | Webstagram - the best Instagram viewer

@mikewilsontattoo | Elm st tat con! Thanks Oliver / Dallas TX!!!! | Webstagram - the best Instagram viewer

• 1 month later...