Charmed

New Here w/First Tattoo

Recommended Posts

Hi all....

I'm new to the forums and new to tattoos. I got my first tattoo a month ago and love it. Of course I have plans for more.

I am posting a pic of my beautiful rose tattoo. I love everything about it except placement. It looks so alone and "empty" on the front of my lower leg. I'd like to add to it on the sides or underneath it with a green vine and/or black swirl design.

Suggestions are most welcome. I'm glad to be here. 🙂

20180918_095641.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charmed said:

Hi all....

I'm new to the forums and new to tattoos. I got my first tattoo a month ago and love it. Of course I have plans for more.

I am posting a pic of my beautiful rose tattoo. I love everything about it except placement. It looks so alone and "empty" on the front of my lower leg. I'd like to add to it on the sides or underneath it with a green vine and/or black swirl design.

Suggestions are most welcome. I'm glad to be here. 🙂

 

Hi and welcome, IMO it's a cool looking little tattoo, the placement seems fine to me.

sometimes simple is great !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for more good  advice. If I don't leave it alone and simple, I was thinking of a wrap around ankle tattoo matching the green stem, leaves, and thorns of the rose. 

Another idea would be to take the black outline and use that to do some abstract, swirling work on either side of the rose.

I really can't decide. I also can't think of any other ideas than above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charmed said:

Thanks again for more good  advice. If I don't leave it alone and simple, I was thinking of a wrap around ankle tattoo matching the green stem, leaves, and thorns of the rose. 

Another idea would be to take the black outline and use that to do some abstract, swirling work on either side of the rose.

I really can't decide. I also can't think of any other ideas than above.

Errr. I'm not sure how well those would work. It might look even weirder than you think it does now (and it doesn't look weird at all). Just wait. No rush. Don't make rash decisions, or you may live to regret them.

If you want more work around it, talk to a good artist. My legs are covered in seemingly unrelated tattoos, and I love how it looks. But I didn't just run out and add them to fill up space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeed. I am keenly aware that "tats are forever." It took me a long time to get the one I have.

I hear you about just "filling up space," too. I just think it looks lonely or something....unfinished? I dunno.

I thought we were going to put it on the inside of my leg and lower. The artist thought the front of my leg up higher was better. I forget why but it made sense.

I've had the rose for a month now. Enough time to think "it's fine as is" and "it needs more." 

We shall see. I have so much more respect for artists now that I've gotten one. It is a craft that requires really special talent. I'd love to see a picture of your leg. If not, no worries.

Thanks for your input.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added a couple since this photo, but this will do. I have both of my lower legs covered now essentially, front and back. Just adding little tattoos I like now and then to fill up the small spaces that I have left. Will probably add some stars and stuff at some point.

 

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 3.58.45 PM.png

Edited by oboogie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh beautiful... Just lovely. I especially love the bird on your left thigh. They all look like you take good care of them. I know it can't be but they all look new to me.

This must have taken quite a while. When did you get your first leg tattoo done? What's on the top of your left foot? Can't quite tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Charmed– I'm definitely a fan of large pieces and heavy coverage. But I have to say that there is sometimes something very dramatic about a single well-placed tattoo, and yours falls into that category. It is like a single painting hanging in the middle of a wall, it sort of focuses the eye. Very pretty!

That being said, the wrapping idea sounds nice.

Alternatively, since you seem to be inclined to get more tattoos, maybe you could move to another part of your body for your next piece, and let this one sit for a while as you ponder ideas for your leg. As @Hogrider said, think about where you want to go with your leg. Do you want an integrated large piece, or a collection of pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oboogie said:

I've added a couple since this photo, but this will do. I have both of my lower legs covered now essentially, front and back. Just adding little tattoos I like now and then to fill up the small spaces that I have left. Will probably add some stars and stuff at some point.

 

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 3.58.45 PM.png

Old/Trad never got me, but I really liked these pieces!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say "wrapping" are you referring to my idea of an "ankle bracelet" made of color matching leaves, stem, and thorns?

I'd love more tattoos but I'll never do a sleeve or anything huge. I also won't ever be able to do many pieces on one body part for several reasons.

This rose is it for legs for me (with possible ankle done and possible black abstract styling on the sides). I'd move to a medium sized piece on each arm (or shoulder) and one behind my ear. That's about it.

You've given me more to think about regarding the rose on my leg. I appreciate that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, Charmed said:

Oh beautiful... Just lovely. I especially love the bird on your left thigh. They all look like you take good care of them. I know it can't be but they all look new to me.

This must have taken quite a while. When did you get your first leg tattoo done? What's on the top of your left foot? Can't quite tell.

Thanks! I've been doing my lower legs over the last five or six years. The very first one was the one on my left ankle, which was a cover up from a shit tattoo when I was 26 (Covered it at 40). That was in 2011. In the years since, I've added all of the others. My right arm is totally sleeved, and I have a half sleeve on my left arm. Intend to make it full eventually. My lower legs are mostly covered, and I have one tattoo on my left thigh of my rescue doggie, Jasper.

I do take good care of my skin. My tattoos never see the sun, and I moisturize with the fantastic Kiehl's Creme De Corps Soy Milk and Honey Whipped Body Butter. https://www.kiehls.com/body/creme-de-corps/creme-de-corps-soy-milk-and-honey-whipped-body-butter/915.html

My feet have two different designs that are sort of in the same family. Done a couple of months apart. Right foot is fresh below (on the left in this photo).

 

IMG_8966.thumb.JPG.86afcc1baf587cac449b525f0296248c.JPG

Edited by oboogie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Charmed said:

When you say "wrapping" are you referring to my idea of an "ankle bracelet" made of color matching leaves, stem, and thorns? 

@CharmedBy “wrapping,” I was envisioning something large wrapping or spiraling around your whole lower leg, incorporating your rose. But I understand that you don’t want to go with anything big, and that’s cool. 

The more I look at it, IMHO, I’d leave it alone. Move to your arms. Your rose is a really striking tattoo. When I first saw the picture I just said “Wow!” It wasn’t just the tattoo, which is very pretty – it was also the whole composition: Simple, nicely executed rose, perfectly placed on your shin, dramatic contrast between tattoo and plain skin, just very striking. Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn’t add a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please excuse me for "going missing" for a few days. Life happens and it's not always good stuff.

Anyway, oboogie, your tats are outstanding. The two on your feet took my breath away.

You've all given me a lot to think about and it's great appteciated. Inked people and those who ink rock. I'm starting a different topic now to see what you pros think.

My thanks again to each of you who replied. I read your replies carefully. ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Posts

    • Thank you, im adding now, i want to complete this somehow up to my shoulder creating kind of a sleeve. I want to fill the gap between the raven and the wolf, and find something to complete the upper part. I always thought if it would be nice to add clouds , sky and maybe stars on top of it. What would be your suggestions. Will be much appreciated.
    • Welcome to LST! You might want to post a pic of your existing tattoo if you're looking for input/advice. You'll get lots of good, honest advice here.
    • You should be fine...don't re-wrap it. Keep it as clean and dry as possible (keep nasty sweat from other people off it). If you CAN wear loose, longer sleeves that would be ideal. 🙂
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

  • Instagram #LastSparrow

  • Recent Topics