General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

I saw Haywire as well. The fight scenes were really well staged and not having a soundtrack to the fight scenes I appreciated. But agrees, Sod used the RED Camera set up which shoots RAW files, so thinks the look of the movie being muted is on purpose, since he technically could have pretty much made the movie look like anything he wanted. Plus, I didn't like how it ended, felt like a gimmick.

I agree about MI:GP. Beyond the Dubai act......kinda of a snooze fest. Disappointed by directors that make the jump from animation to live action. The only one of note is Tim Burton.

Has bought a bunch of movies at the MovieStop, watched the original "12 Angry Men" last night....pretty good flick....to say the least.

Gina Carano all the way... Even she's an even half-competent actress she could be a great female action hero.

Cris Santos probably speeded her move from MMA to the silver screen when she beat her so comprehensively. Interestingly Santos recently tested positive for steroids - kind of casts her 11 fight win streak (9 of them by K.O) in a different light.

CSAC: Strikeforce champ Cris 'Cyborg' Santos tests positive for anabolic steroid | MMAjunkie.com

I bought Vin Diesel's 'Pitch Black' on DVD. Probably still his best movie, IMO.

Drive took me a few screenings to really love. The movie is dedicated to my favorite director (Jodorowsky) and the scorpion on the Driver's jacket is in homage to another favorite (Anger) director. Wending Refn's direction is very tense; it took me a bit to really appreciate him as a director. (as well as Valhalla Rising, the film he did before Drive).

Recently watched Dive! on netflix, it was a cool documentary on eating trash.

Alternately i rewatched The Wind That Shakes The Barley, firstly because i have a non-Batman related Cillian Murphey boner and secondly because I like feeling awful at the end of a film.

Drive took me a few screenings to really love. The movie is dedicated to my favorite director (Jodorowsky) and the scorpion on the Driver's jacket is in homage to another favorite (Anger) director. Wending Refn's direction is very tense; it took me a bit to really appreciate him as a director. (as well as Valhalla Rising, the film he did before Drive).

i think his use of minimalism in those two films to be really impressive, especially since bronson was so intense and a bit more chaotic. i dig that he makes "films", his use of texture, color, pacing, and really utilizing music to build scenes. rarely do i finish a movie and instantly want to rewatch it but both of those films did that to me.

oh, i also recently watched "leaves of grass". a tim blake nelson movie in which ed norton plays twins. it was really good and funny...and had some depth to it. totally suprised i had not heard of it before.

Saw "50/50" the other day-really nice movie about friendship with some funny bits and some sad bits as well. Not really anything terribly deep about it, even though if deals death and dying, but that was kind of nice for a change.

50/50 was surprising affecting, particularly Angelica Huston as the mother, near the end of the film.

Fans of 'Drive' might want to check out 'Le Samourai.' Also if you are into chase scenes, 'Ronin' with Deniro is a pretty sweet movie, though one of the few movies that is the exception to the rule about Sean Bean characters.

Meow

It's been a while, but I don't remember posting this. My wife said I did a lot of things yesterday that I can't seem to recall. Good times brought to you by alcomohallll.

[edit] I also noticed a trend with my drunk posts. And I seem to follow D's posts quite a bit. So could be my international drinking buddy or I just stock him when I'm drunk.

watched this week:

fear x (an early refn film)

black death - movie about the plague and witchcraft

hesher-this was weird in a way i didn't expect but pretty good

the informers-adaptation of the bret easton ellis book. about l.a. in the early 80's, bleak and a lot closer reality to those times than a hughes movie

once fallen-this was an ok movie. ed harris and peter weller are great and the movie is pretty good but is a typical drug/prison/redemption type of film.