228 posts in this topic

Not sure if this the right place to do this or not, but I wil do it anyhow. I was wondering if any of you had been tattooed by Higgs. That was one of my big regrets, I would love to have some of his work. I have a couple of friends who have, but there are not a lot of pictures on the internet of his work and I would love to see more of it. One of the shops I go to has a couple sheets of his flash and I think it is pretty awesome.

Kenny

Lochlan and Wilhell like this

Not sure if this the right place to do this or not, but I wil do it anyhow. I was wondering if any of you had been tattooed by Higgs. That was one of my big regrets, I would love to have some of his work. I have a couple of friends who have, but there are not a lot of pictures on the internet of his work and I would love to see more of it. One of the shops I go to has a couple sheets of his flash and I think it is pretty awesome.

Kenny

I think most people dont post his work online intentionally. Same with Roper. Some things need to be seen in person.

On that note, without really trying to derail the thread too much, I did ask & get to see an AMAZING backpiece by Roper on Ichibay's back when I saw him @ Montreal Convention. Holy shit.

Here is a link to a flickr account with an article and a few images of Mr. Higgs, beardless, and a few of his tattoos. After previewing my post I don' think that I have properly attached the link so here it is for you copy and pasting pleasure.

Dan Higgs Pictures

How odd. I just recently scanned that same article for a friend. Except I scanned it large to read without going blind hahaha.

19859185.png

In fact that whole issue is a gem in the rough. Very early interviews with Marcus, Rassier, Hoyer, Elio.. for a already-dated publication at that point, this issue has some knowledge jewels.

In the Higgs interview, one of the things I identify with the most is where he talks at length about his experience at Tux's; what he says can pretty much sum up word for word my experience as well with him as well, to almost every detail. His description of the shop, its unique atmosphere, the mood it set, etc.

beardless

I must've missed this pic.

farm5.static.flickr.co

I think this should do it.

I am having trouble getting this up. Sorry. If you go to the same flickr account it is there, but for some reason it is not in the Dan Higgs set. It is on the third page of photos. There are two different ones. It looks like they are from an interview or video of some kind.

I am having trouble getting this up. Sorry. If you go to the same flickr account it is there, but for some reason it is not in the Dan Higgs set. It is on the third page of photos. There are two different ones. It looks like they are from an interview or video of some kind.

Here's the link to the set of photos. Thanks.

Dan Higgs Tattoo Pictures

Gotcha. Found it.

I'm feeling generous today. I give you 2 photos not available on any internetz anywhere.

rep1.jpg

rep2n.jpg

Well, maybe you can find the single cover somewhere but I really doubt it.

These are from Dan's first band call Reptile House.

Thanks everyone. I have tried to track down Reptile House vinyl, not easy.

Extremely difficult.

Fortunately a little bit of interneting will get you the recent re-release of the 7"

Good luck on finding the purple album.

i have a couple tattoos from dan all of which come with a story of course and i have i think 5 paintings from him. i will try to post pictures of them up when i get a chance one of my favorite paintings is a three foot tall cross with a bunch of images painted on it. it sits in my entry way and am stoked on it everytime i see it. he just put out a new book and has prints for sale on odonel's blog.. super wierd style. we probably have 6 originals at the shop that are super fucking cool aswell. i dont think ill post those there not all mine. you know how that goes.

scott

The fellow I work for was at one time,, quite friendly with Dan and was gettin tattooed by him regularly at Realistic and Tattoo City in the late 80s /early 90s..got one of the BEST black Jesus' I ever seen...actually he 's gots lots of good stuff --VERY Outlaw Biker Tattoo Revue

man, i just saw that magazine on our bookshelf at the shop the other day.

i remember a few times stopping into read street in the morning and seeing some random line drawings he would leave on the copier from some late night covert tatting he had done the night before.

one was just a big ass bee hive, nothing else.

only met him a few times really quickly around town.....we did see him riding a bike down the side of the road before, though.

Hey people, new to the forum. Just found it trough gougetheeyes. But, anyone interested, a old blog post about Higgs

Pitch black 1891: DANIEL HIGGS

Mind you, I have never met him or anything like that and its my personal view, just would be curious to see what you guys think, because I know some also think that it even shouldnt be in the internet. Or maybe I am giving too much credit for my own self ;)

Hail Lucifer

Nice blog. Here's a Pupils set list I picked up after a show that Dan wrote out. I have a ton of live shots from the mid 90's and more current stuff I'll scan and post at some point.

higgs.jpg

Thanks guys. I bought the Outlaw Biker Revue mag before I wrote the blog post because Robert Ryan suggested I get it. Great interview. I also got Eye Tattooed America and Pierced Hearts and True Love was luckily in one library here in Finland, so I got that and copied all the pages with art work :cool:

I would have bought it but it was too expensive at that moment

Pierced Hearts and True Love, A Century of Drawings for Tattoos

Anyone who hasnt got it, get it! Or if there is a particular pic in there you want to see/have, I can post it here or send in email.

But, about Higgs. The Lungfish album Feral Hymns is like a blue print to tattoo desings. Particularry the song Wailing Like Dragons. I listened to that album non stop when I got back from Helsinki with my two new Sailor Andy tats.

Great little personal moments with that record :)

i have a couple tattoos from dan all of which come with a story of course and i have i think 5 paintings from him. i will try to post pictures of them up when i get a chance one of my favorite paintings is a three foot tall cross with a bunch of images painted on it. it sits in my entry way and am stoked on it everytime i see it.

scott

Would love to this/these.

Hehe, I just found in my computer a first edition of the Higgs blog. Its 8 months old and fuck me, its different than what I wrote! I'm contemplating that should I post it here or not... Do people actually care? Would it be even cool to post it? Meaning, would there be another chip out of the Daniel Higgs mystery tree...

I'm in the back wearing the hat. I think that was '83. I'm 19 but look 12!