Tight-Lines

• 2 weeks later...

Making home-made baked beans again.

This is supposed to serve about 8.

1. Sliced onions (3) and smoked paprika (1 heaped tsp) in oil in a pan - soften 'em up.

2. Add cannelini beans (6 tins, but to be honest I've used less without a problem). On this occassion I used 2 tins of black beans and the rest as suggested. Juices from the tins too... Then 2 tins of chopped tomato. 3-4 bay leaves too.

3. If you've got dried chillis then you can add them now, having soaked 'em in boiled water to loosen them up. Failing that, I used a chipotle hot sauce. Also add salt and pepper.

4. Bring to a simmer and let it cook, having stirred it well, for 1.5 hours. Tricky to let it cook this long without mashing the shit out of the beans when you stir it from time to time. Some of 'em inevitably split on me too.

5. Meanwhile, phase two: 4 slices of bacon, 125g of cheese and about 200g of breadcrumbs in a blender... Whizz them up and then when you're done with the beans this breadcrumb/bacon/cheese mixture is spread on top.

6. Pop the whole lot in an oven until the top is golden brown and crispy and the bacon is cooked and that's it.

It's a modified Jamie Oliver recipe. He may cry a lot on T.V but his recipes are sound, IMO.

Made some chicken burgers. It's like McDonalds but without having to pretend you're not eating ground up gizzards and chicken lips and whatnot.

3 chicken breasts

1 shredded apple

sage

nutmeg

salt

pepper

25g butter

flour

You shred the apple into a bowl. Then blend the chicken and the sage - pulse it for like 20 seconds. You don't want it to be a mush but you obviously need it de-chunked. Then season well, shave in the nutmeg and coat your hands with flour before you knead it all together with the apple. After that form the chicken into burger sized portions, coating them in flour (flipping 'em etc whatever works).

Next melt the butter in a pan on medium to high heat. Chuck the chicken burgers on and cook until they're golden on the outside and cooked through inside.

The apple seems to keep them from drying out too much. Apple 'n chicken 'n sage = classic combo.

I was biking around and I stopped in a shop and just bought some plum wine on a whim. Pretty tasty!
i've never had plum wine but can imagine how good it would be...plum is such an underrated fruit. great floral notes. plum jam is one of my faves.

In keeping with the wine thing, I went to my cousin's confirmation and afterwards drank dandelion wine that he had received from a neighbor. Great.

I ate so good yesterday. Crockpot brats, the wine, lots of old fashioned, some delicious salad thing with sunflower seeds and Ramen noodles in it, great cheesy potatoes.

Now I have to go back to my house and eat crappy bachelor chow. Kinda bums me out a bit.

Heating up a griddle pan to cook some flat iron steaks... I believe they're a shoulder cut from the cow, and are relatively cheap but tasty cuts. A fair bit of marbling on them.

My steak method is derived from the Hawksmoor At Home cookbook.

1. Let the meat rest at room temp for at least an hour

2. Pat dry, you don't want it in a soupy juice

3. Season heavily with salt and pepper - almost forming a crust on the surface of the meat

4. Get a heavy cast-iron pan and get it so hot you can't put your hand near it even

5. Rather than using oil or anything else try and cut a piece of fat from a steak and rub that on the pan if you think it needs it

6. Personally I like to flip the steak every 60 seconds until it's cooked to taste, rather than letting it bed in on one side for longer than that. This method probably works better if you're *not* using a griddle type pan. If it's a heavy Le Creuset griddle or something then if, like me, you like the black char lines then you wait longer.

7. Remember to allow time to let the steak rest for a few minutes, and bear in mind that it'll keep cooking during this period

Om nom nom nom

I'm drinking Steel Reserve High Gravity with hot cheetos and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon while watching a PPV.

The first time that has ever been typed, by the way.

Despite the awkward foot we started out on...we could probably be new bffs.

Heavy duty food weekend.

Had cured monkfish and some of that sauternes-aged Glenmorangie on Saturday night. The whiskey was amazing... Really mild and almost sweet - quite different from the Islay offerings I normally drink.

Yesterday I took a weird notion and cooked for several hours, because I'm working 7 shifts of ten hours this week and won't have time to cook up anything much I reckon. So I made stuff in advance to try and (a) save money and (b) eat right.

So there's about 2kg of beef chilli all done-

1. Onions and minced garlic in a pan

2. Add 1 chopped good quality chorizo and either beef chunks or mince and brown the whole lot

3. Add 1-2 tins of chopped tomato depending on the amount of mince

4. Add pre-soaked dried chillis (20 minutes in boiled water beforehand), ideally chipotle, and season with salt and pepper

5. Bring to boil and then simmer for about an hour or so, adding 1-2 cans of black beans in the last ten minutes

Then a sheperd's pie (or a cottage pie, really, because I used beef mince)-

1. Onions and carrots, diced, in a pan until softened... Followed by mince, oregano and cumin, fresh thyme

2. Add in mince and brown the whole lot

3. Cumble in a stock cube and add 110ml or so of a good quality red ale or bitter and bring to the boil before simmering for an hour

4. Meanwhile quarter and boil in salted water the mashed potato and steam for 2-3 minutes before mashing with butter and salt

5. Add mushrooms and some cream to the mince mixture, and bring to boil again

6. When the consistency looks good - put the mince into a dish that's going to go in the oven, and grate cheddar over it before layering the mashed potato on top of that

7. Bang in the oven for 40 minutes or so or until golden

I'd take pictures but I was too lazy.

Put those aside for the week ahead and we ended up eating a 25oz cote de boef between two of us, with smoky baked beans and sage onion rings. Whisky sour on the side.