Jump to content
Bigboy67

Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have a problem with saniderm and can't find any responses about this anywhere! So I got my tattoo yesterday, and changed out of the original saniderm today (after washing it with soap and patting dry with paper towel). I applied the new sheets of saniderm, but what happened is that my artist gave me 2 sheets to cover my tattoo since he didn't have a piece big enough to send me home with. They looked like they had been cut down previously. 

I think that there are 2 tiny white pieces of paper stuck under my new sheets of saniderm - from the white backing of the sheet. They just came off and got stuck under the saniderm. Is this an issue? I don't have any more sheets left, so if I take it off, I can't replace it. Will these tiny white pieces of paper be a problem for me? Is it better to take the saniderm off at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pootypie said:

Hi, I have a problem with saniderm and can't find any responses about this anywhere! So I got my tattoo yesterday, and changed out of the original saniderm today (after washing it with soap and patting dry with paper towel). I applied the new sheets of saniderm, but what happened is that my artist gave me 2 sheets to cover my tattoo since he didn't have a piece big enough to send me home with. They looked like they had been cut down previously. 

I think that there are 2 tiny white pieces of paper stuck under my new sheets of saniderm - from the white backing of the sheet. They just came off and got stuck under the saniderm. Is this an issue? I don't have any more sheets left, so if I take it off, I can't replace it. Will these tiny white pieces of paper be a problem for me? Is it better to take the saniderm off at this point?

if they are small and your hands were clean, IMO it shouldn't be an issue, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SStu said:

Yeah, as long as those pieces of paper had NO bacteria on them (?) then you should be fine. 

 

6 hours ago, Dan said:

if they are small and your hands were clean, IMO it shouldn't be an issue, 

Thanks for the reassurance! My hands were clean, and the saniderm sheets had just been sitting in a plastic bag (with nothing else in it, given to me by my tattoo artist) before I put them on. So I'm hoping it's fine! If anything bad happens I'll update to warn anyone with a similar question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar experience where the two sheets of saniderm were overlapping on a large thigh tattoo. Air got in through a gap and brewed a MRSA infection. I was in hospital for 3 weeks and was told I could have lost my leg. I only use antibacterial soap and water now.

If you stick with the saniderm watch out for increased pain and redness, serous fluids, and an offensive smell. It set in for me within 48hrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zillah said:

I had a similar experience where the two sheets of saniderm were overlapping on a large thigh tattoo. Air got in through a gap and brewed a MRSA infection. I was in hospital for 3 weeks and was told I could have lost my leg. I only use antibacterial soap and water now.

If you stick with the saniderm watch out for increased pain and redness, serous fluids, and an offensive smell. It set in for me within 48hrs.

Were your symptoms physically visible after 48 hrs? Any spots/blisters or anything like that, or just the redness and fluids? I'm just asking so I can have some idea of what to watch out for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When overlapping Saniderm, do not overlap more than 1 inch so it can breathe properly. If I had any foreign objects under my Saniderm I would remove and replace. I always keep mine on for 24 hours, then change to 2nd piece(s) and change again before 40 hours as a 3rd final clean set or  (piece) and Leave on for 4 days. I personally don't use Saniderm brand as it irritates me so now I use H2Ocean D-Lize Pro or Recovery Derm shield. Call a local Tattoo shop to purchase some new sheets if you can. But if leaving these current ones on, like they said pay attention to what's it doing. I keep 48 Yard rolls on me at all times. I am just a collector. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pootypie said:

Were your symptoms physically visible after 48 hrs? Any spots/blisters or anything like that, or just the redness and fluids? I'm just asking so I can have some idea of what to watch out for.

It was wet and gross. A little green tinged, really red and hot, and super sore. I didn't expect it to go so badly so quickly, I'm a nurse and I was still surprised. It smelled bad, I should have clicked earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, necrosuit said:

When overlapping Saniderm, do not overlap more than 1 inch so it can breathe properly. If I had any foreign objects under my Saniderm I would remove and replace. I always keep mine on for 24 hours, then change to 2nd piece(s) and change again before 40 hours as a 3rd final clean set or  (piece) and Leave on for 4 days. I personally don't use Saniderm brand as it irritates me so now I use H2Ocean D-Lize Pro or Recovery Derm shield. Call a local Tattoo shop to purchase some new sheets if you can. But if leaving these current ones on, like they said pay attention to what's it doing. I keep 48 Yard rolls on me at all times. I am just a collector. 

You can also buy it on Amazon. 
i personally use tegaderm and I think I paid $25 for 50 yards or something. It’s always good to have on hand if you plan on getting more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zillah said:

I had a similar experience where the two sheets of saniderm were overlapping on a large thigh tattoo. Air got in through a gap and brewed a MRSA infection. I was in hospital for 3 weeks and was told I could have lost my leg. I only use antibacterial soap and water now.

If you stick with the saniderm watch out for increased pain and redness, serous fluids, and an offensive smell. It set in for me within 48hrs.

MRSA isn’t spread through air, it’s physical contact with an open wound so either 1. The tattoo shop wasn’t hygienic or 2. The bacteria was on a surface you touched before changing the dressing. I’d say it was more than likely picked up from the tattoo shop and I hope you reported to it to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zillah said:

I had a similar experience where the two sheets of saniderm were overlapping on a large thigh tattoo. Air got in through a gap and brewed a MRSA infection. I was in hospital for 3 weeks and was told I could have lost my leg. I only use antibacterial soap and water now.

If you stick with the saniderm watch out for increased pain and redness, serous fluids, and an offensive smell. It set in for me within 48hrs.

MRSA isn’t spread through air, it’s physical contact with an open wound so either 1. The tattoo shop wasn’t hygienic or 2. The bacteria was on a surface you touched before changing the dressing. I’d say it was more than likely picked up from the tattoo shop and I hope you reported to it to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I got a tattoo on/under my collarbones on Sunday. The artist put second skin on but told me to take it off if it irritated me. It was pulling and rubbing, so I took the second skin off Sunday night. 

Now things are looking pretty red and irritated.

My question is, does this look like a skin irritation from the second skin (as the straight angles and shape of the red bits would suggest), or more along the lines of an ink allergy or infection?

 

5FAA12B4-E0E3-4916-B8BE-8C39FD3D09C5.jpeg

4168923D-F397-4206-ABCA-9585CD7E1350.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks to me (nurse) that you might be allergic to adhesive tape/second skin

I would be gently washing 2-3x per day with warm water and a scent free/antibacterial soap for sensitive skin, and using a tattoo cream/bepanthen

If it starts to blister or the redness begins spreading I would go back to the tattooist or to a GP nurse to check it out for you, particularly if it smells or weeps as you may need antibiotics. It looks okay at the moment though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 2:46 AM, Hollie said:

MRSA isn’t spread through air, it’s physical contact with an open wound so either 1. The tattoo shop wasn’t hygienic or 2. The bacteria was on a surface you touched before changing the dressing. I’d say it was more than likely picked up from the tattoo shop and I hope you reported to it to them. 

I was nursing in a busy inpatient ward at the time, so it's likely I picked it up from my workplace 🙂

edited to add: Sorry, I didn't mean the MRSA travelled through air, I meant the air and fluids mixed to create the best environment for MRSA to thrive

Edited by Zillah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zillah said:

It looks to me (nurse) that you might be allergic to adhesive tape/second skin

I would be gently washing 2-3x per day with warm water and a scent free/antibacterial soap for sensitive skin, and using a tattoo cream/bepanthen

If it starts to blister or the redness begins spreading I would go back to the tattooist or to a GP nurse to check it out for you, particularly if it smells or weeps as you may need antibiotics. It looks okay at the moment though!

Thank you! 

I’ve had redness / rashiness reactions to second skin before (and to adhesives in general), so you’d think I’d know better by now. 🥴

I’ve been washing with a gentle goat’s milk soap and using Bepanthen three times a day since, although by day 4 (which is tomorrow), I usually switch over to a gentle scent-free lotion like Aveeno twice a day. Would you continue with Bepanthen for longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cheesecakecatastrophe said:

Thank you! 

I’ve had redness / rashiness reactions to second skin before (and to adhesives in general), so you’d think I’d know better by now. 🥴

I’ve been washing with a gentle goat’s milk soap and using Bepanthen three times a day since, although by day 4 (which is tomorrow), I usually switch over to a gentle scent-free lotion like Aveeno twice a day. Would you continue with Bepanthen for longer?

I would probably take it up to 7 days just to be super safety sure, but if the redness completely vanishes before then you should be okay 🙂

Also try to avoid adhesives where you can help it, second skin may not be for you!

Edited by Zillah
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cheesecakecatastrophe said:

Thank you! 

I’ve had redness / rashiness reactions to second skin before (and to adhesives in general), so you’d think I’d know better by now. 🥴

I’ve been washing with a gentle goat’s milk soap and using Bepanthen three times a day since, although by day 4 (which is tomorrow), I usually switch over to a gentle scent-free lotion like Aveeno twice a day. Would you continue with Bepanthen for longer?

Provided you don’t suffocate it with Bepanthen, given it’s a petrolatum based product, it can take longer to heal because tattoos do need air. I used aquaphor for 4-5 days because I had irritation and splitting in the inside crease of my elbow then I used hustle butter because it’s super moisturising and has natural ingredients, I swear by it. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cheesecakecatastrophe said:

Thank you! 

I’ve had redness / rashiness reactions to second skin before (and to adhesives in general), so you’d think I’d know better by now. 🥴

I’ve been washing with a gentle goat’s milk soap and using Bepanthen three times a day since, although by day 4 (which is tomorrow), I usually switch over to a gentle scent-free lotion like Aveeno twice a day. Would you continue with Bepanthen for longer?

Another thing to note; without trying to sound bias as I’m not a fan of using Bepanthen on tattoos.. 

If you have sensitive skin, Bepanthens ingredients can cause contact dermatitis.. and if your skin is already irritated, I would be very careful it doesn’t make it worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hollie said:

Another thing to note; without trying to sound bias as I’m not a fan of using Bepanthen on tattoos.. 

If you have sensitive skin, Bepanthens ingredients can cause contact dermatitis.. and if your skin is already irritated, I would be very careful it doesn’t make it worse. 

Yeah, that’s a good point. Because my skin is sensitive and a bit reactive, I do sometimes find Bepanthen irritating and dermatitis-triggering. Given that the area is looking way better and less red today, I’m tempted to switch over to coconut oil or a gentle lotion. I’ve wanted to try Hustle Butter for ages, but the tattoo artists I’ve been going to tend not to stock it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hollie said:

Another thing to note; without trying to sound bias as I’m not a fan of using Bepanthen on tattoos.. 

If you have sensitive skin, Bepanthens ingredients can cause contact dermatitis.. and if your skin is already irritated, I would be very careful it doesn’t make it worse. 

Yeah, that’s a good point. Because my skin is sensitive and a bit reactive, I do sometimes find Bepanthen irritating and dermatitis-triggering. Given that the area is looking way better and less red today, I’m tempted to switch over to coconut oil or a gentle lotion. I’ve wanted to try Hustle Butter for ages, but the tattoo artists I’ve been going to tend not to stock it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheesecakecatastrophe said:

Yeah, that’s a good point. Because my skin is sensitive and a bit reactive, I do sometimes find Bepanthen irritating and dermatitis-triggering. Given that the area is looking way better and less red today, I’m tempted to switch over to coconut oil or a gentle lotion. I’ve wanted to try Hustle Butter for ages, but the tattoo artists I’ve been going to tend not to stock it. 

Try amazon. That’s where I got mine. Or you can purchase it directly from their website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hii

So I got a tattoo done on Saturday its Tuesday here as of now so I had a normal covering for first few hours then  I washed it with water and mild soap yesterday evening I was asked to come back to the shop to put on the dermalize film it was all fine but since today evening it's been itching like the area near the outside ends of the film is itchy and the inner parts were itching my i just tapped it once or twice it was fine but the outside area of the film is itchy is it the adhesive or is it something serious? I scratched the out side a little which made a small red mark I'm ignoring the itching tendency also a little bit of the film came peeled out a little from edge which I trimmed a little I hope it okay? My piece is on the right side of my ribs so lots of movement cause of work It's a like bit sore in some areas but other than that it's better than yesterday the soreness 

Also there is build up of some fluid... Is all these fine or something serious 

I need help please or is it fine I'm freaking out 

Edited by Lini
Spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lini said:

Hii

So I got a tattoo done on Saturday its Tuesday here as of now so I had a normal covering for first few hours then  I washed it with water and mild soap yesterday evening I was asked to come back to the shop to put on the dermalize film it was all fine but since today evening it's been itching like the area near the outside ends of the film is itchy and the inner parts were itching my i just tapped it once or twice it was fine but the outside area of the film is itchy is it the adhesive or is it something serious? I scratched the out side a little which made a small red mark I'm ignoring the itching tendency also a little bit of the film came peeled out a little from edge which I trimmed a little I hope it okay? My piece is on the right side of my ribs so lots of movement cause of work It's a like bit sore in some areas but other than that it's better than yesterday the soreness 

Also there is build up of some fluid... Is all these fine or something serious 

I need help please or is it fine I'm freaking out 

It looks ok to me but if you have any doubts at all just toss the dermalize and take care of it the old fashioned way with scent free soap, warm water, and a tattoo cream :)

 

edited to add: This is Zillah (nurse)- my browser logged me in with an old account :/

Edited by Karliah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





×
×
  • Create New...