Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

Hey everybody, been doing plenty of searching on this. I tend to heal a little on th erougher side sometimes when i get tattooed. I stumbled upon Tegaderm while searching some other aftercare stuff... I see a spattering of shops, artists, tattoo collectors, mention of Tegaderm sprinkled around the internet, etc. but nothing real definitive on it.

Can any of you with actual first-hand experience with one of the -derm products share your experience, tattoo pics, your specific aftercare process, etc. ? I am hoping to see pros and cons from people who have actual used the products. I know, i know, some guys are gonna say dry is better, using curel, using aquaphor.... i know, there are plenty of schools of thought on this. Not looking for a X is better than Y conversation, just personal experiences, especially if you are an artist who uses this method exclusively for your clients.

Since I have tried dry healing, aquaphor, curel type lotions, etc. and had mixed results, I am thinking this may be next on the schedule (unless my artist objects)

Haha Thanks @ironchef!

Tegaderm was introduced to me by Tim Hendricks when I got tattooed by him on my ribs. I've tried all the different aftercare techniques ...

After getting tattooed I wait until I get home and clean my tattoo. I rewrap until the next morning and then I put on the tegaderm. The reason is if you put it on right after you get tattooed there will be too much plasma and parts of the tegaderm will not stick.

This may sound crazy but... keep it on for 3 days. The product is crazy because you can take a shower and get it wet also it's made from a breathable material.

From my experience what happens is the tegaderm slows down your initial healing which may sound negative but... It's good because when you heal slower there are fewer chances of getting scabs. The peelings are a lot softer too. Reminds me of when you peel from a sunburn.

So basically it heals your tattoo slower but heals smoother with no scabs. Negatives?? I really can't think of any..

Garver used it too on his last tattoo he got and he also said how awesome it was. The best place to buy it is on ebay !!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I will post a pic on my instagram account @Killercook76 . I got my tattoo 11 days ago and it's almost healed... If you have any other questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer you from my experiences.

Hey killercook76, that's gonna be a savage tattoo collection when you are done! In gonna try and catch up with you though... Your experience seems To be the norm, matter if fact I haven't yet heard a single story of a tattoo healing poorly using the methodology you put above

Hey killercook76, that's gonna be a savage tattoo collection when you are done! In gonna try and catch up with you though... Your experience seems To be the norm, matter if fact I haven't yet heard a single story of a tattoo healing poorly using the methodology you put above

Yeah give a try!! Like I said get it from Ebay. It's a lot cheaper then the 3M website. I like the 4x4 size.

Haha take your time!! I need to slow down a bit...

Hey everybody, been doing plenty of searching on this. I tend to heal a little on th erougher side sometimes when i get tattooed. I stumbled upon Tegaderm while searching some other aftercare stuff... I see a spattering of shops, artists, tattoo collectors, mention of Tegaderm sprinkled around the internet, etc. but nothing real definitive on it.

Can any of you with actual first-hand experience with one of the -derm products share your experience, tattoo pics, your specific aftercare process, etc. ? I am hoping to see pros and cons from people who have actual used the products. I know, i know, some guys are gonna say dry is better, using curel, using aquaphor.... i know, there are plenty of schools of thought on this. Not looking for a X is better than Y conversation, just personal experiences, especially if you are an artist who uses this method exclusively for your clients.

Since I have tried dry healing, aquaphor, curel type lotions, etc. and had mixed results, I am thinking this may be next on the schedule (unless my artist objects)

I have had experience with Saniderm on 3 tattoos in the last few months,2 medium & one large,

I have the artist clean the tattoo right when it's done and apply it then ,with nothing on the tattoo except the saniderm,

& like was said I keep it on for at least 3 days,on my knee it was on for 4 days,the shit works great,I remove the film and use aquafor for a few days,then go to fragrance free lubriderm,

a day or 2 after I remove the film it's already doing the main peel,

I buy it directly from Saniderm | Keep it Clean. Keep it Simple. ,I get the 10" by 2 yards roll,it's $16.95 + $7 shipping for me(central cal),that way it covers large or whatever size pieces,I love the stuff !

Thanks for that info stinkybutt... If you have it in a large role, don't you lose out ion having an actually sterile bandage? Since it's not individually wrapped? Or is that just being to particular?

I picked up some Bronners peppermint soap and a couple sheets of Tegaderm and will use them to heal a small piece first, then we will see about doing a large piece this way

Haha Thanks @ironchef!

Tegaderm was introduced to me by Tim Hendricks when I got tattooed by him on my ribs. I've tried all the different aftercare techniques ...

After getting tattooed I wait until I get home and clean my tattoo. I rewrap until the next morning and then I put on the tegaderm. The reason is if you put it on right after you get tattooed there will be too much plasma and parts of the tegaderm will not stick.

This may sound crazy but... keep it on for 3 days. The product is crazy because you can take a shower and get it wet also it's made from a breathable material.

From my experience what happens is the tegaderm slows down your initial healing which may sound negative but... It's good because when you heal slower there are fewer chances of getting scabs. The peelings are a lot softer too. Reminds me of when you peel from a sunburn.

So basically it heals your tattoo slower but heals smoother with no scabs. Negatives?? I really can't think of any..

Garver used it too on his last tattoo he got and he also said how awesome it was. The best place to buy it is on ebay !!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I will post a pic on my instagram account @Killercook76 . I got my tattoo 11 days ago and it's almost healed... If you have any other questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer you from my experiences.

After my last terrible experience getting insane scabbing on my knee, I'm going to look into this.

Thanks for that info stinkybutt... If you have it in a large role, don't you lose out ion having an actually sterile bandage? Since it's not individually wrapped? Or is that just being to particular?

I picked up some Bronners peppermint soap and a couple sheets of Tegaderm and will use them to heal a small piece first, then we will see about doing a large piece this way

both sides of the saniderm have a sanitary peel off sheet,one side peels off and is sticky to apply to the skin,and once it's applied then you peel off the outer sanitary backing sheet.

and then you barely know it's there, How to care for a new Tattoo using Saniderm - YouTube ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

How To Use Saniderm | | SanidermSaniderm

this is my right knee,

996834_4793879824180_1722645693_n.jpg

F.A.Q. | | SanidermSaniderm

"How does Saniderm work?

In layman’s terms, Saniderm locks in the body’s natural moisture and healing enzymes, allowing the body to heal itself in the most efficient manner possible.

After tissue has been injured the body goes through autolytic debridement – a big word for the body’s natural process of removing dead and dying tissue. During this process moisture and enzymes are produced to help break down dead tissue and, in normal circumstances, they dry up and evaporative which reduces their effectiveness. When this happens, longer healing times are required and scabbing and scarring may occur.

Saniderm locks in these healing enzymes, called autolysins, and allows the skin to continue to function as normal because the bandage is permeable to oxygen and water vapor (breathable). In addition, Saniderm protects against dirt and germs while eliminating friction and other irritations that might further interfere with the healing process.

How will it affect my ink?

Saniderm’s adhesive will not attach to the weeping area of a tattoo, therefore it can never damage or pull out ink. In fact, customers report that the colors of their tattoo remain more vibrant after using Saniderm, compared to tattoos that have healed by other aftercare products."

and it was used on both my knee pieces and they healed perfectly,and even on a tough to heal body joint like the knee.

ship3.jpg

I also used it on this large piece

tigertatt6.jpg

and it was so easy and healed so well and so fast I couldn't believe it,non of these 3 ever scabbed at all !

tigerf1.jpg

both sides of the saniderm have a sanitary peel off sheet,one side peels off and is sticky to apply to the skin,and once it's applied then you peel off the outer sanitary backing sheet.

and then you barely know it's there, manner possible.

Ah I gotcha. So it's never really exposed on either side. If you wanted to be super cautious you could also cut the leading inch of material before using the product I suppose

BTW Stinky... You have a great collection going.

Ah I gotcha. So it's never really exposed on either side. If you wanted to be super cautious you could also cut the leading inch of material before using the product I suppose

well yes,I cut it so it is a couple inches bigger on the surrounding edge away from the tattoo so it seals up really good,and it also helps to round off the corners of the film with scissors so it does'nt peel up at all.

also on my knees,it helped me to use strips about 3 " X 10" wide and overlap the pieces,it was easier to apply on the knee.

It seems so strange that if 1) it has already been done by others with unanimous success and 2) it's backed by science in how your body heals... That it's not done more in tattooing. Is it just a situation of people are used to doing their old school process and are scared to try something else?

It seems so strange that if 1) it has already been done by others with unanimous success and 2) it's backed by science in how your body heals... That it's not done more in tattooing. Is it just a situation of people are used to doing their old school process and are scared to try something else?

it's relatively new to the tattoo world,most people still haven't heard of it yet.

Yeah I tried it out Saniderm healing for the first time two months ago - I have nothing but good things to say about it, it was used on me by Jess Yen - he says he uses it on all his clients nowadays, I was a bit worried about leaving it on for 48 hours, but it was actually really convenient and ended up healing really well, after I took it off I washed it down as normal, got all the gunk off, used bacitracin as normal after that, didnt re-wrap it, and it healed quickly and with no problems! I am debating getting some to use on tattoos by other artists in the future.

@Dan does this do anything along the lines of easy the craptastic feeling of jeans sliding on fresh tattos? Now that I am getting all types of awkward areas done, it seems my pants can sometimes "rub out" areas of ink. (Think hip, knee cap, etc).

If this stuff is as good as it sounds, I am going to get very excited!

Yeah I tried it out Saniderm healing for the first time two months ago - I have nothing but good things to say about it, it was used on me by Jess Yen - he says he uses it on all his clients nowadays, .

that's who first introduced it & used on me for the first time this august.

@Dan does this do anything along the lines of easy the craptastic feeling of jeans sliding on fresh tattos? Now that I am getting all types of awkward areas done, it seems my pants can sometimes "rub out" areas of ink. (Think hip, knee cap, etc).

If this stuff is as good as it sounds, I am going to get very excited!

it is as good as it sounds,and yes it does help a bit with clothing rubbing on the area IMO,also it was great to sleep in any position and without worrying about staining the bedding !

COLOR="#EE82EE"]it is as good as it sounds,and yes it does help a bit with clothing rubbing on the area IMO,also it was great to sleep in any position and without worrying about staining the bedding ![/color]

/\ that is the biggest complaint my wife has about me getting tattooed. Dead bodies all over my tattoos? Fine. But ink/blood/plasma on those Egyptian cotton sheets? No fuckin' way pal...

Doing more research currently on it... One observation though is that everyone who has used it once uses it for all future tattoos, which to me is a pretty big indicator

I went ahead and did a test run with a 6" x 8" sheet of Tegaderm.... Did a shave in my thigh, Bronners soap to clean, etc. left it on a few days, just because some guys had mentioned that they had some rash/irritation on the non-tattooed skin under the sheet. I didn't have any issues with the adhesive reacting on my skin, so I guess I'll move to stage two and use it for an actual tattoo.

I'll post up my experience when I do it, with progress, etc. thanks again for the comments by people with experience , it's been real helpful

Just got some work done, cleared the healing process with my local tattooer, so when he fixed up an old tattoo today and added a couple tiny things to my "family" leg I decided to Tegaderm this time around... (Please don't judge him on the Big Boy, it was an existing very poorly done scratch job from about 14 years ago, my current guy just gave him a new lease on life)

post-17122-146168861151_thumb.jpg

post-17122-146168861156_thumb.jpg

I'm just gonna document my process and experience in case it helps anyone else.

1. Left original wrap on about an hour until I got home, then a nice hot wash with Bronners magic soap.

2. Air dried 10 minutes (used hair dryer on cool as well)

3. Covered again with wrap and went to sleep.

4. Exactly 10 hours after getting tattooed, I got up and took off wrap, rewashed, and air dried for 10 minutes

5. Grabbed my box of 6" x 8" Tegaderm film. I'd recommend smaller ones like the 4 x 4 instead just because it allows you to use smaller pieces making it easier to work with. I have he big ones because I'm getting some very large pieces over the next few months.

6. Glove up

7. Placed one sheet up top on the tattoos them overlapped another sheet (overlapped by 2 inches) on the bottom, making sure I cover the entire tattoo and have a inch of Tegaderm around the tattoo in overlap.

post-17122-146168861162_thumb.jpg

post-17122-146168861167_thumb.jpg

Now I'm going back to sleep. I'll keep updating on my progress. Will leave Tegaderm on for 3 full 24 hour periods and will remove it 6am Tuesday morning.

I bought 10 sheets for 28.80 with free shipping on Amazon . I used 2 sheets to be safe on coverage, so my healing process cost 5.76 USD AND cuts out all the nervous washing and aquaphor'ing I would be doing . The sheet also gives you a pretty good barrier , I'm not sweating it if something rubs or bumps up against me, doesn't hurt or scratch at all

Tegaderm Transparent Dressing 6" X 8" (Box of 10)

http://amzn.com/B0009Q01AO

I hear eBay is the best place to buy it though. And Tegaderm comes on rolls too just like Saniderm, though you'll have to check which one is cheaper in that mode.

This stuff sticks likes crazy. It's one reason I didn't do a roll and try to do one big sheet, it's much easier to work with in smaller pieces... You could do the same with the roll though and cut out a bunch of smaller strips