Our Endless Days

books on tattoos and tattoo culture

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/713-tattoo-boooks.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/2118-traditional-american-tattooing-books.html

But as for what I've personally read, Bad Boys and Tough Tattoos by Phil Sparrow is fantastic ans a super fun read, but it doesn't have flash or anything in it, it's more of a memoir of his time tattooing in Chicago in the 50s and 60s.

Stoney Knows How.

stoney.jpg

This is a book about tattoo artist Stoney St Clair. The books full of great stories and some nice flash. He was probably one of the last links to the world of the travelling carnival tattooer. He also overcame a crippling disability that left him wheelchair bound for most of his life.

He's definitely on of my tattoo heroes

Here's a link to a short film (he's being interviewed by a young Ed Hardy)

FolkStreams » Stoney Knows How

Stoney Knows How.

stoney.jpg

This is a book about tattoo artist Stoney St Clair. The books full of great stories and some nice flash. He was probably one of the last links to the world of the travelling carnival tattooer. He also overcame a crippling disability that left him wheelchair bound for most of his life.

He's definitely on of my tattoo heroes

Here's a link to a short film (he's being interviewed by a young Ed Hardy)

FolkStreams » Stoney Knows How

thanks, dude.

i'm really bummed i couldn't afford to pre-order the milton zeis book :(

You and me both. I did just get a copy of Horitaka's newest book, I Love Tattoos. There's some really cool stuff in it, and it's on sale for $26 on Amazon right now. Definitely recommended.

Check out Hardy Marks publishing, the Rollo book, the NYC book. A great one (that I just now realized I lent to a friend) is Taki's Tattooing from Japan to the West, just a fun overview type interview book from a little while back, lots of cool stuff in there. And Underway is the Only Way if you can get it, can't remember if it's outta print or what, but that's a killer tome.

Just requested these books from my libraries inter-library loan:

1000 Tattoos

Stoney Knows How

Vintage Tattoos

Having access to a university library is pretty great.

vintage tattoo is really great. so many really cool pictures of old school flash. when i got tattooed by dan santoro back in april, a walk-in wanted to get tattooed by eli and i thought it was cool he had referenced the book to show the customer what he was thinking.

The Sailor Jerry Collins book is, IMHO, a must-have. So many think that he was all about the flash that is so often seen, buto to see the Chinese / Japanese inspired work that he did as his avocation is stunning, and to be able to read his correspondence with Don Hardy about the state of tattooing and the ways they were working on advancing it is well worth the price.

oh and Lemes book is a good read...a little gay, but a good read

and old Bowery stan's book, really historical and a little hard to follow but interesting

Just curious, what makes it "a little gay?"