opinion on this artist?

spyro

Why do you guys think that tim is better than rice eyes?

(honest question.. I want to learn and see why you guys believe so.)

I mean like, specifically, is there line work or shading you can point out or something?

Why do you guys think that tim is better than rice eyes?

(honest question.. I want to learn and see why you guys believe so.)

I mean like, specifically, is there line work or shading you can point out or something?

I don't think anyone expressed that opinion, really. What people were saying is that Tim, Rice Eyes, India, etc. were all better choices than that first link you shared - who you should NOT get tattooed by.

Tim and Rice Eyes have different styles, so it's not really a matter of "better" but more "what you prefer" (and I do mean what you prefer!). Rice eyes seems to do more realistic work, while Tim does more traditional and japanese. I really think you could go to either and get a very good tattoo.

I don't think anyone expressed that opinion, really. What people were saying is that Tim, Rice Eyes, India, etc. were all better choices than that first link you shared - who you should NOT get tattooed by.

Tim and Rice Eyes have different styles, so it's not really a matter of "better" but more "what you prefer" (and I do mean what you prefer!). Rice eyes seems to do more realistic work, while Tim does more traditional and japanese. I really think you could go to either and get a very good tattoo.

maybe it was on another forum where the consensus was that eugene was just "OK"

and this was exactly what I was thinking. I think I'm more interested in a more realistic style tattoo (though, i don't know how that'll work with a dragon)

but i also don't think there is a "wrong choice" here. Either way i think I'll come out looking good

@spyro I don't think that you should be getting tattooed right now and I'd like to basically reiterate what @MsRad said earlier about it really seeming like you're rushing into this. I think it's great that you're looking for a good artist and want a good tattoo, but it's absurd that you need this much help. What are you going to do in the consult? What about when your artist shows you the line drawing? You have your entire life to get tattooed so there's really no rush to so it. I would suggest to hold off for a while and wait until at least the Toronto tattoo convention in June. Go to it, see what people in your city, across the country, and internationally are doing, see the tattoos in real life, and find out what you like and what you respond to best in person and figure out who YOU want to be tattooed by. In the meantime, lurk here, look at the design threads, look at the latest tattoo lowdown thread, learn about how to look at a tattoo in terms of design, linework, shading, coloring, and learn about different tattoo styles. Go to the library and look for reference. I know that my local library has Ed Hardy's Dragons book, maybe your has the same. It will certainly have books on medieval art where you can look at how European dragons have traditionally been drawn. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that if anything is worth putting effort into, it's tattoos.

What Graeme said.

Instead of taking an artist a vague idea of "what kind" of dragon you want, you should be able to track down a pic of one that is durn near exactly what you want. When I get work done that is "custom", I make sure I have pix of all the major elements so there is no confusion about how I want it to look.

Shop around. The tattoo convention advice is excellent! Go, look, absorb.......AND GET TATTOOED LATER! Don't go there for the specific purpose of getting work done-it's too easy to get caught-up in the moment and end up with something that isn't exactly what you wanted.

Far as "lubing", if you're a college kidliving in a dorm and can't get someone to put some lotion on yer arm, well, I can't help you! I will say, tho', that tattooing was around long, long before modern skin lotion was. That means that for many years, people actually got tattoos and let them heal, all on their own. Not the most comfortable, but certainly old-school.

Yeah I get what you are all saying. I'm not planning on rushing in and running into a needle. i mean, even my consults aren't for a month. I'm sure by then I'll find references simular to what I want. The consults are just consults. If we don't both get to the same place, I just won't book the tattoo yet, you know?

I think I already found an almost perfect dragon, at least, the anatomy I like. The drawing might not be perfect, but its the exact idea of the dragon I like. Medieval Dragon by ~victoraa95 on deviantART

finding a wolf will be much more challenging, but I have lots of time

...On second thought, maybe you should just let Tim pick out your dragon.

lol. why? People need to understand that I don't know art. Yeah it looks like the tail is coming out of his wang. I don't want a tattoo of that sketch. I just want the dragon to have 4 legs, scales, wings, and face and anatomy like the sketch.

If you don't understand art, fucking learn to. Jesus fucking Christ. No one was born with this skill. Look at good art, well painted or drawn works that respect scale and color, not some chick's deviant art. The entirety of the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art is available to view, for free, online. There are all of the Tattoo Age videos you can watch to see great tattoos and tattooers. If you won't learn to fucking understand art, we're not going to teach it to you. This isn't high school, we're not being paid. If you want to get a big boy tattoo take some goddamn responsibilities.

You have repeatedly asked the same questions, and seemingly just thrown out anything you see at us. We are not your filter. We cannot and will not hold your hand.

There is a time to ask questions, and there is a time to reflect, and read, and research. To try for yourself to understand something. You need to do what Graeme said and lurk more, read old threads here. There is so much information on here that if you are thorough there will be no need for you to ask any of these kinds of questions.

Please listen to me. Don't continue to badger this already haggard community. Take this into your own hands.

If you don't understand art, fucking learn to. Jesus fucking Christ. No one was born with this skill. Look at good art, well painted or drawn works that respect scale and color, not some chick's deviant art. The entirety of the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art is available to view, for free, online. There are all of the Tattoo Age videos you can watch to see great tattoos and tattooers. If you won't learn to fucking understand art, we're not going to teach it to you. This isn't high school, we're not being paid. If you want to get a big boy tattoo take some goddamn responsibilities.

You have repeatedly asked the same questions, and seemingly just thrown out anything you see at us. We are not your filter. We cannot and will not hold your hand.

There is a time to ask questions, and there is a time to reflect, and read, and research. To try for yourself to understand something. You need to do what Graeme said and lurk more, read old threads here. There is so much information on here that if you are thorough there will be no need for you to ask any of these kinds of questions.

Please listen to me. Don't continue to badger this already haggard community. Take this into your own hands.

And a time to be a douche, apparently. I'm not forcing anyone to give feedback here, Pal. I've done everything that has been suggested. Or, started doing it.

Don't want to filter? Don't. Don't want to help me? Don't. Think I'm helpless, and not want to waste your time on me? Don't. Fucking simple.

It's one thread on a forum, not a dog scratching at your door. It hurts nobody. So again; think I'm a helpless moron? Cool. Don't bother with me then. Life is better when you act nice towards people though.

@spyro Have you checked out the Dragons thread on this forum? There's a dragon sleeve I posted by Grant Cobb done in the style you are looking for , or check out the art of Boris Vallejo and select something of his you like and take that to your artist . Conversely if you mention Frank Frazetta or Greg Irons in your consultation Tim will know what you mean ,

this is the stuff you should look at and also something the tattooer will be into . I'll post some of Vallejo's stuff but I'll let you do the rest to save my haggard hands .

I feel like this is the best advice @spyro can get at this point. Please man, listen to him.

I think I already found an almost perfect dragon, at least, the anatomy I like. The drawing might not be perfect, but its the exact idea of the dragon I like. Medieval Dragon by ~victoraa95 on deviantART

finding a wolf will be much more challenging, but I have lots of time

Keep looking, that Dragon is jacked. The tail is coming out of its crotch, the right wing is coming out of its ass, can't tell where the left wing is coming from. ieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

- - - Updated - - -

And a time to be a douche, apparently.

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you!

@spyro Have you checked out the Dragons thread on this forum? There's a dragon sleeve I posted by Grant Cobb done in the style you are looking for , or check out the art of Boris Vallejo and select something of his you like and take that to your artist . Conversely if you mention Frank Frazetta or Greg Irons in your consultation Tim will know what you mean ,

this is the stuff you should look at and also something the tattooer will be into . I'll post some of Vallejo's stuff but I'll let you do the rest to save my haggard hands .

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. :)

i got a consult with these 2 artists, in te near future

https://www.facebook.com/RiceEyesTattoo/photos_albums

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103051969747333.1220.100001275911562&type=3

been compiling some references and learning what i can. Still not sure about artists though. Doesn't seem to be much better than this in my area, and i think I'm leaning towards rice eyes, because of his style. It's hard for me to inspect massive sleeves too, because it is easy to mask flaws in tattoos that big, and i think tim is more into traditional and japanese, while Eugene is more, well, whatever style he does. Think it suits my tattoo idea.

Thank you all for the help though; it has been a big help

no, i'm not making fun of you. i just think eagles are great looking tattoos and everyone should have one!

everytime someone is wondering about artists or images or whatever for a tattoo i'll always answer: get an eagle. or a black panther! or...yeah i like the classics...

but anyhow, hope you'll get the tattoo you wan't!