Friday 13th (Sept 2013)

slayer9019

I drew up a #13 in a spade on CAD, really perfect proportions. Gave it away to an apprentice that worked in the shop I use. He says cool... and proceeds to draw it up free-hand to use on his Friday-13 flash sheet, wonky free-hand lines and all.

I hope he never slapped it on anyone. I'm going to have it put on top of my foot eventually.

Rob

Would love to know the origin of that flash. It's one of those iconic 13 tattoos that I've always liked for it's goofiness/awesomeness.

You hit the nail on the head Sean! Goofy but awesome that's why I love it to!

I don't know the origin of it, but it probaly has to do with that Felix is a black cat?

Plus one of the episodes in the cartoon is called ''Friday the 13th''. That's with what I can come

up with.

Noticed a lot of Friday the 13th backlash this time around, maybe just because of instagram. I see both sides of it, I'm just a little amazed that so many shops have started doing this now, and even more so, that the general public has come to expect it. "What do you mean you're not doing $13 tattoos today? ..I don't understand.."

I'm always excited when I see a really good sheet of "13" flash. Conversely, I'm always a little disappointed when it's a sheet of just normal flash with some 13s thrown here and there.

What are some good ones people saw this time around?

Any I've seen were tasks given to apprentices as drawing lessons. For the most part, what more can you expect for your $13?

Rob

Any I've seen were tasks given to apprentices as drawing lessons. For the most part, what more can you expect for your $13?

Rob

Most of the time I've seen it recently was for shop minimum, and I'm not saying I want a whole backpiece for shop minimum, just that I think it should be more "13-oriented" flash, and not just flash with a 13 stuck onto it, y'know?

Most of the time I've seen it recently was for shop minimum, and I'm not saying I want a whole backpiece for shop minimum, just that I think it should be more "13-oriented" flash, and not just flash with a 13 stuck onto it, y'know?

The one shop I deal with had the apprentice make up the whole flash sheet and nothing was very big or involved. He worked for nothing and the $13 went to the shop and probably didn't cover the supplies expended. But it got people into the shop and the kid got to lay some ink on people.

Rob

Just saw this posted on Facebook... talked my dad into a little hand poked heart on his forearm at the end of the night. Don't have any good finished photos, though. I'll try to get one sometime that's in focus and such.

598560_10152262972493849_2144410278_n.jpg

His last hand poked tattoo was in the military in the late '70s or early '80s... it was one you had to earn through some sort of actions, of which he's only ever told me part of the story. And even that bit was pretty rough, so I'm unsure if he'll ever tell me the rest.

... His last hand poked tattoo was in the military in the late '70s or early '80s... it was one you had to earn through some sort of actions, of which he's only ever told me part of the story. And even that bit was pretty rough, so I'm unsure if he'll ever tell me the rest.

Best off not knowing.. prolly involves heads-on-a-stake or something as equally gnarly...

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
eP8HGzKZLp here's mine sorry for the poor photo quality, 13 dollars plus a 7 dollar good luck tip! at Broken Dagger Tattoo in Las Vegas, NV I went right after work (8pm) and didn't end up getting tattooed till 1am! I didn't mind, just hung out and talked with everyone at the shop which is part of the fun.

Best off not knowing.. prolly involves heads-on-a-stake or something as equally gnarly...

Rob

Not quite that gnarly... he was in during the Cold War, and missed combat. However, I have been told that all three events could have gotten several people discharged, court martialed, and/or jail sentences for select people involved.