Tattoo Style Decision Tree to help decide in what Tattoo Style to proceed in...

Victor

These Tattoo Style Decision Trees, are to help decide in what Tattoo Style to proceed in for a new tattoo, this was posted in a different Tattoo forum, thought I would bridge the gap and see what you all thought about this concept.

Tattoo-Decision-Tree-Adept-Sacred-Temple-Utility-Machine-Halifax-Festival-Award-directory-artist-Nova-Scotia-shop-oldschool-tribal-script-ink-master-Halifax.gif

here are links to the main tree and the individual four Genres which further explain and break down the styles individually:

Tattoo Style Decision Trees - Five in Total -and related influence diagram

Yeah, no. I know everyone has a different way of deciding what tattoos to get, but following a diagram is a little weird. There are a few different ways I decide what tattoos I want, some have involved looking at flash, others have involved concepts that I have come up with and had an artist render it, others have involved looking at images on the Internet for inspiration. I would never follow a diagram to make a decision about the tattoo. It is informative about different techniques and styles, I will say that, but nothing more.

Being new to tattoos, I like this.

Not necessarily to help me decide what I want, but to see the different styles of tattoos and the understand the terms being used by people more experienced. Trash Polka for example. If I wanted something like that, I now know what that style is called and can research Trash Polka tattoos and artists that do that style.

Being new to tattoos, I like this.

Not necessarily to help me decide what I want, but to see the different styles of tattoos and the understand the terms being used by people more experienced. Trash Polka for example. If I wanted something like that, I now know what that style is called and can research Trash Polka tattoos and artists that do that style.

I'll leave it up to you to decide how credible or experienced I am when it comes to tattoos, but in my opinion, if you went into a shop and asked for a "black and grey, illustrative, painterly, realistic" tattoo I would expect that you'd be met with a blank stare. This chart is a joke.

I'm a newbie. I found the chart useful. I'm 48, got my 1st tattoo 5 months ago. Had no idea what was possible with tattoos. Had never heard of terms like bio mechanical, trash polka, realism, dot work, etc..

Am I now going to go around speaking the lingo like I know what I'm talking about ? No. But IMHO, the chart can give new people a start on understanding all the different styles.

This board is incredibly useful and full of people willing to share their knowledge. I'm thankful my silly questions get answered politely. If I had seen this chart at the beginning, it would have saved me a lot of time researching posts about terms and styles I did not understand.

Does trash polka mean 'tattoos that aren't tattoos'? or just 'tattoos that look like shit'?

If someone asked me for a trash polka tattoo that 'would get the wtf are you talking about' look. Please don't get something like that @scubaron and if you realllllly have to do it just bring in a reference to the shop, don't use that bizarre term.

That must be a euro thing.

Does trash polka mean 'tattoos that aren't tattoos'? or just 'tattoos that look like shit'?

If someone asked me for a trash polka tattoo that 'would get the wtf are you talking about' look. Please don't get something like that @scubaron and if you realllllly have to do it just bring in a reference to the shop, don't use that bizarre term.

That must be a euro thing.

No worries. I'm not into that style. Just using it as an example. Like you say, if I did like that style, I would research the term and print references to show the artist.

There is so much information available on the internet. I like to research, but it can get a little overwhelming. Some kind of beginners guideline like this might be helpful to those researching their 1st tattoo.

@Victor

Stop being a fucking clown. Is this the website for your shop? Why are you stealing, nearly word for word, the welcome statement on the LST website?

LST:

Welcome to Last Sparrow Tattoo

The mission of this website is to help preserve the craft of GOOD tattooing and to serve as an educational resource for those who want to learn the difference between good and bad tattoos. There are more bad than good tattoo artists out there, so it is more important than ever to do your research before getting tattooed.

The Halifax Tattoo Machine:

Our commissioning and or sponsorship of the Nova Scotia Tattoo Forum, / community discussion bulletin board has become necessary to help preserve the craft of GOOD tattooing and to serve as an educational resource for those who want to learn the difference between good and bad Tattooers. Because the Halifax Tattoo Machine – downtown studio – spends 95% of its time fixing or covering up bad tattoos, it has become clear that there are more bad than good tattoo artists out there, so it is more important than ever to assist tattoo enthusiasts and advocates alike to do your research before getting tattooed.

We want answers.

^WHOA plagerists!! Damn I want answers too now.

Halifax Master Tattoo Artist group, year 2012, established a Downtown Studio: some of us returning as international travelers, who have drawn inspiration from great artists such as Swiss surrealist painter, sculptor, H.R. Giger; the Filip Leu style of full body tattoo artwork, now then, please attempt to imagine combining all those qualities, with the added Tattoo realism style of Tom Renshaw in his wild life, landscape and portraits, consequently you must have arrived at our downtown Halifax Tattoo application Studio, furthermore, however, we happen to be pioneers of Biomechanical Tattoo design and application.

Is that an actual structured sentence? I mean I'm not an English major but it sounds a bit odd.

Furthermore, however, consequently, I am curious as to what makes these folks 'pioneers of biomech design and applicators'.

Edit; I just examined more of this site because it's very baffling and vague about who actually tattoos there. So I decided to click on various links under the 'menu' and found that they are posting Mosher's drawings from his books right there online as their 'traditional Japanese tattoo designs'. SUPER FUCKED UP AND NOT OK AT ALL. @Victor I would distance myself from these folks and not post anything else from that site. If you are involved with that shop than I would step back and see that this shop is doing one of the most taboo things to do.

The problem I see with this "tattoo style flow chart" is that it enables people to do all their research from the comfort of the home computer. A consultation tool? Whatever happened to walking INTO A TATTOO SHOP! Y'know, feeling like your going to shit your pants when the scary surly tattooer with a cig hanging out of his mouth comes to the counter to greet you with a smile, flash a gold tooth and says "what'll it be kid?". And you say in a shaky voice "uh um uh uh...i'd like a tattoo" and mr.tattooer says "relax kid and make yourself at home, we gots lots of flash on the walls, photo portfolios from our tattooers are on the table" and you say "uh thank you!" and then you sit back and flip through the books, get excited and see what type of fine work this shop is capable of. THAT is research.

maybe I'm being a snob. yes, most probably. but part of getting the tattoo is that experience. and I'll never forget the first few times I walked into tattoo shops. some of them i looked around for 30secs and walked right out. some I stuck around for an hour and half and waited to be able to chat with a tattooer who's work struck me. it made getting a tattoo a real thing.

so maybe you are thinking about your first tattoo. or second or third. or you're nearly filled up! whichever way I encourage people to get off tumblr and instagram (okay, stay here on LST though hehe) and go into that tattoo shop with the butterflies in your stomach to see what the tattooers within your reach are capable of. don't dissolve tattoos down to binary decision making -- make your tattoo an analog life experience. GO FOR IT!

/endrant!

It's stuff like this that is the reason it's difficult to Google information about tattoos. You Google something like "good realistic tattoos" or "tattoo styles" or "how to choose a tattoo"... stuff any normal person would want to know... and all that shows up is tons of lists and images of tattoos that aren't even good, on websites that give you no real information and are just designed to be click bait. Most of the time they don't even credit the artists so you can't readily find the other stuff in their portfolio on the off chance you find something you actually like. The descriptions of the images are just superficial uninteresting descriptions of what you're looking at, like "birds are pretty." Or it goes in depth about something pointless, like how this chart is careful to explain to you the difference between monochrome and color (?!).

I just now Googled "Japanese koi tattoo" so I could get an authentic example of stupidity, and this is a sample of the literature I found: "Of course, people may love fish tattoos for no reasons, just for cool." Not only is this sentence a worthless introduction to a page of 50 random fish tattoo images (without artist credit) but "just for cool" isn't even proper English. The only reason this sentence exists is to make the website more likely to show up when someone Googles the word "cool."

Oh yeah and there is the occasional article you stumble upon filled with cliches about how "tattoos are no longer for criminals and sailors any more" which doesn't tell you anything interesting.

I mean I know sometimes it takes more than 20 minutes of research to find something worthwhile, I'm just saying, stuff like this makes the entire internet worse. There is even more nonsense on the internet about tattoos than there is about most Googlable subjects. LST and a few blogs are the only decent sources of information I've encountered so far.

I thought it was pretty funny - remember diagramming sentences in English class? But also a little useful to learn the names of some basic styles. Turns out what I thought was "realistic" wasn't what my tattooer informed me "realistic" was. But I got lost in the chart trying to figure out exactly what I'm getting. -_-

Gee, I'm thinking about a Trash Polka now!

@Victor

Stop being a fucking clown. Is this the website for your shop? Why are you stealing, nearly word for word, the welcome statement on the LST website?

LST:

The Halifax Tattoo Machine:

We want answers.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/5198-hello-nova-scotia-canada.html#post86462

^His intro. I would say he has A LOT to do with this shit.

Jesus fucking christ. I'm looking into this guy, and as hard as this is to believe, it only gets much worse. He's a convicted violent criminal who has been running terrible internet scams for years. His current scam is basically a promise of a free hour of tattooing for anyone who writes a negative review of other tattoo shops in the area, and gives him their contact information without seeing a portfolio. Read this. I hope the police hear about this soon.