• 2 months later...

I have found a new appreciation for large scale Japanese work. I never thought I would want any of this style work done, but I have recently brewed a strong desire for a Japanese sleeve or back piece.

Welcome to my world. I looked at all these before I even got my first tattoo and they blew my mind. I thought "Tattoos can look like that?! I want one."

I hate categories .
I'd have to say real traditional Japanese you would have to look at Kiku. Doesn't matter if they are Japanese or not, tebori or a machine.

Ssssigh, I ask a question and I never noticed the responses. Apologies. Probably the best attitudes and answers to have. Just get what you like, right? Doesn't really matter what others think, if you appreciate it.

It's interesting though. I had asked because over time I've actually heard in daily life, online, and even in tattoo magazine interviews the gamut written in my original post. People either criticizing or applauding artists who coincide with the descriptions.

Welcome to my world. I looked at all these before I even got my first tattoo and they blew my mind. I thought "Tattoos can look like that?! I want one."

Exactly! Try growing up as a little kid seeing this imagery. Then having to wait/spend 15 years to locate artists in the US capable of doing this kind of stuff (pre-Internet). Then wait another 8 years before you established yourself and made enough money to travel and get tattooed over multiple sessions. Agonizing :-)

To me, unless you are from Japan, and a member of a Japanese "business" family, the Japanese suit is out of place. The more you learn about the culture and the history of Japanese tattooing, the "mystery " and fantasy of the work dissolves. What's left is a very rigid culture that is out of synch with western ways. The work is no doubt beautiful when done properly. But think of this, those suits are earned within their culture. When Americans, and other westerners coop the style, the core intent of the suit in Japanese culture, has been stripped away, and we are left with surface decoration mostly derived from Chinese art and literature. I like it when westerners add their own flavor. If a westerner is making what they consider traditional Japanese work, they are posing. Even if some of your relatives lived in Japan generations ago. You are living in Japan making tattoos in that system, or, you are offering imitation Japanese traditional work. With that in Mind, there are some awesome, inspiring tattoos made by Traditional Japanese artists. And on occasion, I do some poser Japanese work myself. As a westerner, the idea of middle age men having "masters" just does not work for me. The Japanese philosopher, DT Suzuki said something to the effect..... If you want to understand Japan, you must start with India. On that note see you in a couple of weeks, time for another digital cleanse.

Yup....I agree even tho i have a westernized Japanese sleeve started. I think its got "flavor" but its a part of my "American" body suit of a mash up of tattooing styles. I dont want to be from japan and not posing as anything...im just an american who loves tattooing. That said the images do mean something to me. I do think tho the FULL BODY Japanese suit is special and I dont care how many of us americans get them you CANT water that down. Thats just too strong.

Imagery is imagery, and if you dig it, you can wear it. That even goes for shit-ass-loser-neo-nazi's. There truly is no exception. You are allowed to get just about any tattoo you want. Albeit, I reserve the right to make fun of you if you have no idea who the hell Fudo-Myoo is, even though you're wearing a sleeve from Rubendall.

Imagery is imagery, and if you dig it, you can wear it. That even goes for shit-ass-loser-neo-nazi's. There truly is no exception. You are allowed to get just about any tattoo you want. Albeit, I reserve the right to make fun of you if you have no idea who the hell Fudo-Myoo is, even though you're wearing a sleeve from Rubendall.

I don't know what a Fudo Myoo is, but I like the way it looks, so I am getting Chad K to do one for me next week!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Western culture is a culture derived from the collection and seizing of just about every culture. I think it would be best if tattooers simply respect the fundamental value and origins of all tattoo culture. especially when inevitably recreating, paying homage or simply enjoying it.