Kumoku

Phantom pains?

So I got my shoulder/arm tattooed about one year ago. It's a small-medium size tattoo, and it healed no problem. However, sometimes I notice I get "phantom pains" right where the tattoo (all over the tattoo, not localized to any specific part of the tattoo) is. Like, it feels like a bunch of tiny needles are sticking in my arm where my tattoo is. I read online that 10-35% of people who have tattoos will get these kinds of phantom pains. 

Anyone else get these with specific tattoos? How do you deal with it? I've noticed if I put moisturizer over it, it heelps soothe it, but doesn't make it entirely go away.  The attachment is a photo of my tattoo for those curious. 

Screenshot 2018-09-02 at 1.56.20 PM.png

Edited by Kumoku

I get this sensation over a scarred portion of a Friday the 13th tattoo I got a couple years ago. I actually haven't gotten it in a few months so maybe I don't anymore but it felt similar (needle poking sensation and would last 10-15 seconds max).

Unrelated but I've been thinking about adding to the tattoo (it is one of the aliens from Toy Story) but I am undecided because I'm kind of attached to the scarring. I ended up growing to like the warn out, beat up look it gave the little alien.

My leg piece feels sensitive to the touch/irritated pretty much all the time. It healed fine. I think I just have sensitive skin. God help me when this back piece is finished....

Btw, if it's pain it ain't phantom.

Did you find out why you have this symptoms? I have the same on my 1 year old tattoo, + some soft sunburn feelings sometimes, but I don''t have anything like red skin around the tattoo.

Yes I feel the same, I got a tattoo ten months ago and It still hurts and It is swollen sometimes. It occurs randomly and the truth is I don't know what to do.