First Tattoo - Anxiety

Wolves

Hey everyone, thought I’d join the forum for some insight. Everyone here seems really nice and helpful. So I went big with my first tattoo, a half sleeve on my forearm. I’ve been planning and saving for a long time, and did my research on artists. The artist I chose is very well respected. However, I feel the artist could have communicated with me more as I didn’t really ask for all the black. It turned out way darker than i thought it would and my maple leaves are getting comments here and there that they look like weed leaves. I got this session done Thursday, it’s now Tuesday and the past two days have been driving me insane. I’m having anxiety and even have been searching up tattoo removal options. I understand post tattoo anxiety is normal but I guess I would like some insight. The sight of it being so dark and different to how I looked before and what others will now think of me is something I never thought I’d feel during all the planning. Also sorry if you guys have had to explain this 1000 times already!

42952330-9437-462F-B0CC-EB9A7CF3E2DA.jpeg

D8D980E3-D874-41A3-97D2-366CDD110CEC.jpeg

I’m experiencing similar problems I think the issue with tattoos is the lighting is always going to play a big effect on your tattoo as well as my own when it’s dark but you have a room with a light on it will look dark but when your outside and it’s cloudy it will also look dark only time you can really feel like it’s part of your skin is when the suns on it or it settles in after a few months. I’m also going through a rough time with tattoo remorse it’s been 3 weeks now 

4 hours ago, Curasy said:

I’m experiencing similar problems I think the issue with tattoos is the lighting is always going to play a big effect on your tattoo as well as my own when it’s dark but you have a room with a light on it will look dark but when your outside and it’s cloudy it will also look dark only time you can really feel like it’s part of your skin is when the suns on it or it settles in after a few months. I’m also going through a rough time with tattoo remorse it’s been 3 weeks now 

Yeah I’m hoping it’s just an adjustment phase for me, the thought of laser removal or hating it forever is not fun

Also the advice I can give from my own point of view is when you make your mind up on something there’s not much that will change that like part of my sleeve I really don’t like everyone says it’s nice and I’d adjust to it but to be honest with you I haven’t adjusted to it and it’s been 3 weeks so other than beating myself up over it I gotta shake myself off get some lasering and start again on that part. 

2 hours ago, Hogrider said:

have a drink, a toke, an edible and calm the F*** down!

you start monkeying with it, you’ll likely make it WORSE, not better. It’s not even healed yet.

and FYI, two laser sessions won’t make that ready to cover up. That’s a complete fantasy.

A thousand times THIS.

8 hours ago, Curasy said:

a Lot of people have experienced it. It’s not about not wanting to be tattooed it’s just not liking one part of a tattoo 

Do you understand that we aren't newbies here? We are telling you, from experience, that trying to laser it twice (hilarious) and blast something over it is going to make it WORSE, not better. Please listen.

I've really tried to reassure you. You've even emailed photos of it to me. It's a nice tattoo. Let it heal. If you still hate it down the road, get it lasered extensively and then find a great coverup artist. There isn't a quick fix for it.

Speaking for myself, I am well aware of the extensive lasering that would be needed. I also know it is too early to even seriously think about that. Everyone says it looks good. I think it’s just the big difference of how i look now to how i look before that is really throwing me off. Then I start to get in my head and put myself in different situations where having a tattoo will affect me or have me judged. something I never did while in the preparation process. Guess I just came on here to be reassured this is normal and that I need to relax and let myself get used to it 🙂

You’re blowing my mind here. You really never gave any thought to how people would view you before you basically got your lower arm covered????? Wow!! A little late to be thinking about that. No amount of lasering will make that disappear completely. 

I never had the tattoo anxiety thing so I can’t relate, but just keep reminding yourself that there is nothing you can do at this point. Even if you wanted to make changes or laser it, you need to wait until it completely heals.

not to beat you up specifically because it happens a lot, but I’m constantly amazed by how little though people put into getting something permanent inked onto their skin.

3 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

You’re blowing my mind here. You really never gave any thought to how people would view you before you basically got your lower arm covered????? Wow!! A little late to be thinking about that. No amount of lasering will make that disappear completely. 

I never had the tattoo anxiety thing so I can’t relate, but just keep reminding yourself that there is nothing you can do at this point. Even if you wanted to make changes or laser it, you need to wait until it completely heals.

not to beat you up specifically because it happens a lot, but I’m constantly amazed by how little though people put into getting something permanent inked onto their skin.

I know it sounds crazy. I thought I put enough thought into it. Now that it became real I guess it hit me harder.

That’s where you are wrong no matter how much lasering you have it won’t disappear your right it won’t if you use the cheap machines.  Mate the picosure removes tattoos where your left with scaring or a ghost image or complete removal it’s definitely removes it so what are you on about ya muppet black and grey is the easiest as well. 

As everyone mentioned, all that dark black that's freaking you out right now will get lighter in time. If it is any consolation, that's the absolute darkest it will ever get.

Furthermore, it's early days yet and you won't really know what the end product is like until all the healing is done and dusted. Plus, it takes our minds some time to get used to any major changes to our bodies, including large tattoos (especially on highly visible areas).

If you look around the forums, you will find that this is quite common. A little advice: don't make any hasty decisions, don't panic, and breathe.

There will always be haters and everyone has their own opinion. With or without tattoos, you will be judged. It is inevitable. End of the day, it's your body, it's your tattoo and the only one who gets any say at all would be you.

A tattoo, visible or otherwise, does not change who you are. And honestly, if someone is gonna judge you differently due to a kick-ass tattoo has some, imo, serious issues and biases. But that's on them, not you.

Cheers!

13 hours ago, cgrave said:

As everyone mentioned, all that dark black that's freaking you out right now will get lighter in time. If it is any consolation, that's the absolute darkest it will ever get.

Furthermore, it's early days yet and you won't really know what the end product is like until all the healing is done and dusted. Plus, it takes our minds some time to get used to any major changes to our bodies, including large tattoos (especially on highly visible areas).

If you look around the forums, you will find that this is quite common. A little advice: don't make any hasty decisions, don't panic, and breathe.

There will always be haters and everyone has their own opinion. With or without tattoos, you will be judged. It is inevitable. End of the day, it's your body, it's your tattoo and the only one who gets any say at all would be you.

A tattoo, visible or otherwise, does not change who you are. And honestly, if someone is gonna judge you differently due to a kick-ass tattoo has some, imo, serious issues and biases. But that's on them, not you.

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words. That’s really what I came on here to hear. I’m calming down more, but I still freak out here and there. Guess I just gotta wait for the end result and trust that I’ll get used to it. I also have to learn to be confident in it and not worry what others think.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, Wolves said:

Thanks for the kind words. That’s really what I came on here to hear. I’m calming down more, but I still freak out here and there. Guess I just gotta wait for the end result and trust that I’ll get used to it. I also have to learn to be confident in it and not worry what others think.

Mate, that tattoo looks cool as! It is a little shocking at the start as it appears so much darker while healing up, I’m sure you will love it once it’s settled as it is a nice looking tat mate. Also definitely don’t worry about what others think, it’s a tattoo for YOU nobody else.

Don't listen to the “vets” on here, they are proper bell ends who just bitch rather than offering help, advice or kind worlds of reassurance.

1 hour ago, Tinny448 said:

Don't listen to the “vets” on here, they are proper bell ends who just bitch rather than offering help, advice or kind worlds of reassurance.

Seems to me that you should be here a little longer before you begin laying down judgement on others that have literally spent hundreds if not thousands of hours responding to people's questions and trying to help them through their experiences.

2 hours ago, JAC1961 said:

Seems to me that you should be here a little longer before you begin laying down judgement on others that have literally spent hundreds if not thousands of hours responding to people's questions and trying to help them through their experiences.

You would think so! I only signed up a couple days ago! I have read only a few threads but find it clear to see the same 2-3 hostile people on every single one. 

A real shame really as some threads do contain so solid info but, some newer members like myself get instant attitude and avoidance to actually answer questions asked.

5 hours ago, Tinny448 said:

Mate, that tattoo looks cool as! It is a little shocking at the start as it appears so much darker while healing up, I’m sure you will love it once it’s settled as it is a nice looking tat mate. Also definitely don’t worry about what others think, it’s a tattoo for YOU nobody else.

Thanks man, I’m slowly growing more and more into it. I take it more as brutal honesty which is sometimes needed.