In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

So he said my back wasn't big enough for the ship's mast I wanted (a Japanese wreck mast I photographed a couple times in Truk Lagoon) so he made it look like a regular mast. Which people have mistaken for a cross. Now, I've never said a THING about anything he designed so far, but I had to ask he make some adjustments on this. It took 3 marker studies before we could agree, but he updated it last Friday.

For some reason, that section with the mast is so scabbed over and itchy - the rest of the work he did on Friday is mostly peeled but the mast is a chunky mess. Are the tattoo gods expressing anger at my questioning my tattoo artist? LOL :rolleyes:

Just started using Tatwax as a trial run to see how it works.

Anyone ever use this stuff?

There is a lot of tattoo aftercare information in other threads that might be helpful. I haven't heard of this one. Most people here fall into the Aquafor/lotion category, the Saniderm category, or the leave-it-alone-and-dry-heal-it category. And there are some brave souls who rebel and admit to using other products (I am one of them) but for the most part, we are viewed as suckers who spend too much money on marketing. ::shrugs::

The artist that did my two (so far) uses a product that she concocts with beeswax, aloe, several other things. She wants the bandage removed about two hours after the session, then after washing and air drying just a very light application of her "ointment" a couple times a day. She provides it in lip balm tubes, about half filled and mine lasted for a month on my first tattoo - ~3X4". She said that was just right. I healed with no scabbing and just the lightest peeling - not even as much as a mild sunburn. I never had any pain and the only itching was no worse than untattooed areas. I don't know if her product is like Tatwax or not, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in week 2 of healing my very first lower body (thigh) tattoo. It is about 95% done with its first peel and it looks like it is about to start on its second peel very shortly. But, I have heard that lower body tattoos take longer to heal/peel.

And OMG the itch!!! The double whammy of the peeling tattoo and my leg hair growing back is killing me! Definitely worse than the tattoo itself, aagggghhhh. Can't wait for this to be over.

Yeah, I find that leg tattoos seem to itch more. For me usually 3days in week2, I have the "I WANT TO SCRATCH MY LEG UNTIL IT BLEEDS" stage. And, yes that was meant to be in caps. But after that am fine. Takes 2weeks for mine to heal. You're getting there. Nearly over now... until the next time ;)

HURTS LIKE FUCK!!! Remind me again why we do this to ourselves? :rolleyes:

Don't want to put people off getting tattooed where I got done, but I did bleed a lot getting tattooed and it was heavy work. But it will be worth it, just a little (ahem) discomfort then a lifetime of a beautiful image on my body. So yeah to answer my question, because like the L'Oréal ad, "i'm worth it"

Yea the itch has died down a bit. But, like you were saying - for a few days there it was intense.

I think it's interesting finding those little pockets of pain as you are getting tattooed. When I was getting my shoulders capped and finished off I figured it would be a cakewalk because, well, it's the shoulder. Until that needle went over and started hitting my collar bone. Holy hell, I dunno how it is for anyone else, but the collar bone, for me, was really bad.

@Dominiccjs eat nourishing foods, stay away from booze, and bring loose, comfortable clothes to sleep and travel in. It's very important to take care of your body when you're putting it under that much stress - long distance travel, the tattooing, etc. Planes are very dry and dehydrating, so do make sure to drink LOTS of water!

I got tattooed 3 times in 3 days recently: not doing it again anytime soon. It was just a lot to take, and I'm pretty tough.

Good luck!

@beez Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to the swelling. I've had 8 hour rib sessions with almost no trouble, got a 6 hour forearm session and it damn near killed me. Does icing / taking anti-inflammatory's help before and inbetween sessions? Thanks for the advice btw.

I load up on ibuprofen and take it every 6 hours while i'm getting tattooed and after for a day or two. Icing I think would feel really good and probably help quite a bit! I also read somewhere on the forum about taking benadryl or another antihistamine after long sessions; firstly to help get a good night's sleep, and second to stave off inflammation and any possible allergic reaction to the ink.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Also go to the newbie thread and introduce yourself, since you're new here! Let's see those ribs and forearm!

Woke up after sleeping on fresh tattoo, fuck it hurt! Up a few hours now and the pain is only starting to ease. No way to avoid it, as sleep on side but at least clean jammies that are taped down help. And continuing with the paracetamol before bed. It's really helping keeping the swelling down.