7 year old tattoo artist-in-training?!

tammy

I know some of the artists on here started early, but wow.

7-year-old tattoo artist-in-training follows in daddy’s footsteps

Alicia Gutierrez of Abilene, Texas, has moved on from coloring books to skin, demonstrating skill at an early age. Father Patrick Gutierrez began when he was 14 and has full faith daddy’s little girl will be ready for the world before then.

Read more: 7-year-old tattoo artist-in-training follows in daddy

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't have an issue with passing down a craft or trade, I worked for my folks at that age but nothing too major.. That said, anyone who sits in the chair and knows a 7 year old is about to tattoo them gets what they deserve..

If there's no labor laws being broken and clients are cool with it, who gives a rats ass, lots of generational tradesman and craftsmen start this early..

I guess if you're a tattooer that had to work their ass of to get an apprenticeship it could/would be frustrating, but we're all dealt the hands we are dealt, this kids hand happens to be with a tattooer in the deck.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't affect anyone but the people who let a kid tattoo them. I find it ridiculous that we have let price and explanation of price become a taboo and dare not discuss it but we are all up in arms about someone teaching their child to tattoo..

Didn't Filip Leu start tattooing at some ridiculously young age' date=' 11 or something? If she did the "Daddy's Little Girl" tattoo in the article, fucking power to her, that thing looks better than most of the tattoos I did during my first two years.[/quote']

It does look good for a 7 year old, and pops is right there over her shoulder too!

Filip Leu also had a huge head start with who he was learning to tattoo from. I am definitely not saying that everyone has to learn from a Leu family of great tattooers, because obviously we've had some great tattooers start in some shitty places. As long as she isn't getting paid, I guess it's cool.

I think the people getting tattooed know she is 7 years old and looks to be doing a tattoo that most apprentices would be doing! So they know what tattoo they are getting....it's an apprentice tattoo....and without people willing to let apprentices tattoo them then none of the artist any of us go too would be where they are now!

There are a lot of tattoo artists that started very young who came from tattooing families and as was said.....if no laws are being broken then there is no real harm!

Filip Leu.....Frank Lee....and I am sure there are others who started younger in this same manner!

It doesn't matter if her dad is a Leu or of some other famous tattooing name.....as long as he is teaching her proper technique and is bringing her along properly like any apprentice!

My first tattoo was on "Tattoo" George Benjamin at Hobo's in NH.....I had never picked up a machine to tattoo before and at his insistence that we "trade" tattoos I tattooed him!

I bet her tattoos are better than the little flower I did on George! LMFAO

There is nothing wrong with this as long as it is within the law!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
At the end of the day, it really doesn't affect anyone but the people who let a kid tattoo them. I find it ridiculous that we have let price and explanation of price become a taboo and dare not discuss it but we are all up in arms about someone teaching their child to tattoo..

Right?!?! As a 47yr old newbie I can't discuss things like price and it's very frustrating. An article online of top 10 highest paid artists says #9-Bob Tyrrell – $150 per hour yet other articles say that's the "average" you should expect to pay. Are we getting taken advantage of by not allowing anyone to discuss it?

As for the dad teaching his little girl a trade? If he was teaching her to work on cars would anyone mind? Or teaching her to cook? Whatever! Good job dad, give your kids something to fall back on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There are laws in place in certain areas (I don't think there's any federal statues/regulations) where minors can't get tattooed without parental permission (or can't, period, depending on the area). Personally, I think you shouldn't go near a tattoo machine until you're closer to your teen years (12-14) due to the incredible amount of patience you need to be a tattoo artist (young kids aren't exactly known to sit still for long periods of time, even if they're playing a game they like). Like others have said, I'd say keep her to drawing and observing other artists and when she gets a little bit older, let her start practicing with an actual machine.