Moon tattoos

This seems to be a current thing I have been seeing in a lot of tattoos recently, my most recent tattoo included. Lots of lady heads with moons, or animals and moons, etc.

Is it just me or is this popular right now? I didnt even really notice it until I got my moon lady on my leg, then while browsing online saw quite a bit of moons recently.

Also, as a side note, if you can find any good examples of it, post to this thread. I'll start with mine

696474bab08c11e2ad5622000a1f98e5_7_zps0e5fe2bf.jpg

Here is my bleeding moon. I posted this a long time ago. Matt Brotka in Richmond, Virginia, but that fine gentleman is now at Left Hand Black in sunny San Diego.

leg.jpg

Whoa dude! Normally I feel like tattoos like this (traditional-looking combo of stuff) don't work out but this kills! I follow one Heather Bailey of Spider Murphy's work and, along with some fun darker images, she incorporates a lot of mooooonz. One day I will get to that shop.. Until then, check it:

HEATHER BAILEY

- - - Updated - - -

@hogg have you been tattooed by her or just Paul?

I feel like it's a lot of witchy witchy stuff. I don't know. I love seeing these though.

This is my Mucha's The Moon done by Kyle Proia.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9627[/ATTACH]

I just realized that most of the color in her face and hair has disappeared over the years. That's a bummer. But her starry garment is still lovely.

Re: "Witchy witchy tattoos" - As a practitioner of witchcraft - and not a tumblr The Craft enthusiast - I gotta say that the "witchy" internet tattoo trend of recent has been most vexing and very "cultural appropriation", although not nearly as much as "white girl wearing a war bonnet" tattoo people seem so fond of.

Regardless of my e-opinion, you have a splendid tattoo. How old is it?

edit - in re-reading of my post, I was in no way trying to attack you or say you were perpetrating that in any way; your comment just reminded me of my feelings.

She's 6 years old last May. You'd think I'm talking about a baby hahaha.

And not taken as an attack at all. I really say "witchy witchy" because I'm aware of actual practitioners of witchcraft but I feel like you can be really bombarded by the internet version. Being in school the last few years, I saw a lot of face painting, nature symbols and performance art rituals and I just kept wondering why it was a trend like that. I think the hobo symbols trend throws me the most, especially because these kids really became committed to their psuedo-hobo lifestyle while attending a high priced private art school.

I think there's been some great work to come out of the visual exposure, but still a lot of it throws me. Sometimes I'm not sure people understand where it comes from.

Re: "Witchy witchy tattoos" - As a practitioner of witchcraft - and not a tumblr The Craft enthusiast - I gotta say that the "witchy" internet tattoo trend of recent has been most vexing and very "cultural appropriation", although not nearly as much as "white girl wearing a war bonnet" tattoo people seem so fond of.

Regardless of my e-opinion, you have a splendid tattoo. How old is it?

edit - in re-reading of my post, I was in no way trying to attack you or say you were perpetrating that in any way; your comment just reminded me of my feelings.

She's 6 years old last May. You'd think I'm talking about a baby hahaha.

And not taken as an attack at all. I really say "witchy witchy" because I'm aware of actual practitioners of witchcraft but I feel like you can be really bombarded by the internet version. Being in school the last few years, I saw a lot of face painting, nature symbols and performance art rituals and I just kept wondering why it was a trend like that. I think the hobo symbols trend throws me the most, especially because these kids really became committed to their psuedo-hobo lifestyle while attending a high priced private art school.

I think there's been some great work to come out of the visual exposure, but still a lot of it throws me. Sometimes I'm not sure people understand where it comes from.

- - - Updated - - -

It's very pretty. You could probably get her touched up, look good as new.

I've thought about it. He's gotten so popular which is great for him, not so great for me booking for a touchup.

don't tell me moons are a trend now too? fark!!! my owl is going to have a full moon with it. you have no idea how close I am to scrapping my left thigh idea!!! with owls popping up E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E...... and now moons. all I need is to add "let it be" and a fucking infinity symbol...

im going to go now and cry in a corner....

it's ok, awesome trends are timeless. I personally incorporated a moon because I've been attracted to the moon and stars ever since I was a child.

I mean, moons are one of the most timeless tattoos, after all, the real moon that is in our sky has seen everything that has ever happened on planet earth.

- - - Updated - - -

be081274424511e3bc6522000ae91414_8.jpg

My girlfriend and I got 'honeymoon phase' tattoos from Nic Lynds in Austin while we were on vacation. This one is hers. Mine is the same just harder to shoot.

awesome, and yeah totally quoted you for the moon thread, just because I enjoyed your tattoo so much