First tattoo, freaking out...

tjb

Hi lovely people,

I've been reading some of the posts and feeling a tiny bit better about the two tattoos I got yesterday so thought I'd join up and post. I'm 44 and I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for seven years (!) and after months of planning I finally went and did it. I got one on my upper leg to represent my daughter and one on my inner upper arm to represent my son. They are beautiful and perfect and the tattoo artist did an amazing job.

BUT it's 3am where I am and I have been lying awake feeling like I've just made the dumbest mistake ever. It hit me a few hours after getting them done and this is now my second night of lying awake big time stressing. 

My husband thinks they are great and says I am overthinking as usual and I know he is right but that doesn't stop the freaking out feeling!

i am worried that : people will disapprove, people will laugh at me, I have damaged my body (even though I practically did a PhD in tattoo safety and ink ingredients before getting them done), I won't be able to wear half my clothes now, the arm one is much bigger than i should have got it, I will suddenly become a different person in other people's eyes, my kids might think they are embarrassing when they are older, people at work will disapprove, they will get infected, um gosh I think that probably covers it. Bit of a 3am brain dump there.

If you've read this far, thank you. I feel better even just writing this down. 

I'll keep reading the posts and hopefully go back to bed soon...

TJB

Hey @tjb...welcome to the forum. On the flip side, you are now part of a great community that's generally incredibly compassionate, open minded, and less judgmental than most people. The freakout will pass and you'll be planning your next one soon. :)

Edited by Gingerninja

23 hours ago, tjb said:

i am worried that : people will disapprove, people will laugh at me ... I will suddenly become a different person in other people's eyes ... people at work will disapprove

the main reason we get tattoo is for OURSELVES.

we don't get them for other people and we don't care what other people think. the bad vibes some of the mainstream people carry towards tattooing is their problem.

the difference between tattooed peoples and the non-tattooed (plainskins) is that tattoo people don't care that others are plainskin !

your first tattoos so I hope that in time they bring you as much happiness and confidence that tattoos gave me and many of the people on this forum. tattoo has made my life experience that much richer. cheers

Been reading all the healing posts and I've learnt that things are different for different people! 

So far my arm one has felt like my normal skin and the leg one felt like very mild sunburn the next day and now nothing. It's Saturday and I got them done Wednesday. Neither of them look red or swollen or flakey and nothing like a scab yet. This is still to come, yeh? I'm doing as the lovely artist suggested and washing twice a day in the shower, and putting a thin layer of bepanthen 3-4x day.

Just wondering what I could expect in the next week or so?

The ink feels raised (does it always feel like this? Have to say I have never touched anyone else's tattoo!!).

TJB

8 hours ago, tjb said:

and putting a thin layer of bepanthen 3-4x day.

Just wondering what I could expect in the next week or so?

TJB

'Ello- you are pretty much doing what I do (including the Bepanthen - some don't like it - suits me just fine) - I have never had proper scabbing using Bepanthen - just some minor flaky stuff that kind of wipes down when putting on the cream.  Had my last bits and pieces on my arm 2 weeks ago and now pretty much healed - used Bepanthen for a week and a half.  Raised bits are normal in my experience and should settle down - takes a while for the whole thing to bed in after healing - couple of months-ish for me... your mileage may vary :-).

Edited by AtomicMagpye

Welcome! I'm late to the party here so I won't repeat the good advice you already have received. It sounds to me that you might be over-using the Benpanthen - that's what is causing the raised areas. Your skin needs air to breath and heal. Lighten up on the ointment - you should barely be able to see it when you're done applying. 

i am worried that :

• people will disapprove - definitely, but who cares 
  • people will laugh at me - see above 
  • I have damaged my body - you changed your body
  • I won't be able to wear half my clothes now - why? if you don't want anyone to see the tattoo, get new clothes that cover it.
  •  the arm one is much bigger than i should have got it - go big or go home (see my avatar)
  • I will suddenly become a different person in other people's eye - you will, but once again, who cares
  • my kids might think they are embarrassing when they are older - good, payback for all the times they embarrassed you
  • people at work will disapprove - good way to figure out who your real friends are
  • they will get infected - very unlikely if you do proper aftercare.

If you think of anything else, let me know. :-)

Ok, yes my tattoos are TINY compared to your amazing looking one! Thanks for the perspective there. :-)

I showed my really close friends - a couple of them were a bit shocked, but you know what, they may not love my tattoos but they still love me. So yeh, it is a good way to figure out who my real friends are.

Thanks. :-)

Hey JazzyMac, Oh I totally freaked out BEFORE. Seven years of trying to get my head around it. Didn't sleep the night before but then woke up super excited. I had booked in three times and cancelled. So yeh, I had before AND after remorse. I am slowly getting over it and while I keep getting that feeling like someone is whacking me in the stomach I am now catching myself and going "um, why exactly?".

• 2 weeks later...

So it's now been almost two weeks since I got my first tattoos ... and I am now starting to love them. :-)

Nobody at work yet even knows I have them. But today I was at my desk and reached up and I caught a glimpse of my arm one and I thought "COOL". I love that I have these two gorgeous images (that represent my gorgeous kids) and they are my little secret. Some people will know and some people will never know. But they make me really happy!

Thanks for reassuring me. :-)

1 hour ago, SStu said:

so are the pictures in some other thread?

I'd love to see some! I've been getting tattooed for so long now I don't even notice them, tho a French speaking girl kept looking at my arm earlier but she didn't speak . . at least she didn't see my French quote xd

I've not found anyone to make any comments or ask me anything but do they hurt, so you might not even have anyone bother you. I love the reply about if they embarrass the kids . . plus chances are the kids may be trying to get their own when old enough!

I hope you will feel ok wearing your normal clothes, I almost always have my forearms bare so had them tattooed so I get to look at them lots, they usually just attract tattoo fans, never negativity . . fingers crossed they'll soon feel a part of you!