Tattooer forgot about me?

slayer9019

I got a strange call today. My appointment is in two days and my artist called me and asked me what I was getting again. He had no recollection of anything we talked about and apparently had lost all of my references. After he asked me if I was getting a custom tattoo or flash (i am getting the majority of my leg done) he hung up...

Is it normal to be completely forgot about, especially on a relatively large custom piece? I am a bit nervous now since I feel he is completely unprepared for me to come in, and will have no idea until I show up. Should I be worried?

I've never had an artist forget about anything I was getting, and all of my work is custom. And fairly decently sized. Granted, I have had Amber call because she A) got sick and couldn't make it bc she was in the hospital or B) well i've not gotten a b yet.

She has all my artwork for both my arms in a folder with my name on it, i'd be a little worried about that, kinda shows no professionalism

Granted he is kinda busy (new york city) but seriously? I do not know what to expect since I am scheduled late in the day (6pm) and am getting a bit nervous. I have been waiting a month and have 1500 waiting. I have come to the decision if I show up and he is completely unprepared I will flip a shit and ask for my deposit back. For a large custom piece at 200 an hour I feel at least a little bit entitled to some respect. I can take my business elsewhere. I know and respect a lot of artists out there but if you do not respect me enough to remember ANYTHING, I am not letting you near me. I would rather pay 500 an hour for a honest professional than 5 an hour for a half respecting artist. I am already asking Toxyc at Last Rites to do my next piece and I might bail on my current artist. I would say this current artist is good but not "gifted" in the craft.

I've shown up to appointments when an artist hasn't drawn anything yet and yes I had to wait longer but I still ended up with some killer tattoos. Think about how many people/tattoos he/she has to deal with on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. I'm sure one or two clients are bound to slip through the cracks. If he forgets again on the day of just pretend you're a walk in- in which case you'd have to wait for him to draw it up anyways.

I would be more concerned with your seeming lack of confidence in your artist's skill level more than his forgetting what you wanted tattooed.... The majority of your leg is a big chunk to give to someone you don't really trust is going to deliver you something you'll be happy with.

I go with Jake on this... if he/she has a reputation to uphold then you can be sure you will get decent work whatever the history, but a whole leg is a lot of flesh to give to someone you are unsure about, and in that case it matters little what he/she does with your design.

If unsure cancel and give them plenty of notice.

In defense of your tattooer I have done the same, many times.

I take notes during my consultation with my customer--- but because I find that the closer to the appt time we get the more likely the client is to change their design. I do my final drawing just a day or so before the appt.

At the start of each week though I start calling clients in my appt book to confirm their appt and a lot of times what they're getting isn't indicated in my appt book. So I might ask what they're getting or need a reminder

i'm a bit scatter brained and do forget details sometimes, usually if i've had a consult months before the appt. but i take notes every time to help me jog my memory. there has been times ive had to call someone and double check what were doing, because ive forgotten what we spoke about or to clarify since they have the same name as another client of mine.

i dont think ive forgotten completely what i was ever gonna tattoo on someone but id hold off till the day of the appt and see what happens and trust your tattooer. i only draw up designs a couple of days ahead max, and sometimes even on the day itself (on paper, or on drawn up on the skin with marker pens)

Like Deb I've done this a load of times.

I'm usually pretty organised and take notes but sometimes I don't feel like I need notes. Usually because the design is pretty self explanatory or a large chunk of it will be drawn on the skin or at least figured out on the day an pieced together from smaller stencils.

A sleeve of carp and peonies for instance, doesn't need to be pre-thought out with sketches. I draw the individual elements and fit them together on the skin. I wouldn't take notes and make sketches for something like that.

Two days is plenty of time to draw a subject that you're familiar with.

I wouldn't take it too personally, to be honest. Tattooing's a 24/7 job sometimes, and the guy may have just had a ridiculously busy week or something. It's pretty likely you're just someone who's slipped through the net of an otherwise tightly run studio.

At the same time, I'll echo what Ursula and Jake are saying- if you're unsure, or if the drawing sucks, you don't have to get it tattooed on you.

I have forgot about a client or session before(not tattooing), maybe he was away from appt book or working on it elsewhere and it slipped his mind. I would suspect that he would feel compelled to put his best foot forward after a slip up, but as others said if you see the drawing and its apparant he blew it off then address it.

this has totally happened to me more than once, its not really a big deal to me; I don't expect or demand much "customer service" from what are essentially wizards plying an ancient craft... I am sure it will be fine and you will get a great tattoo just stay chill about it

And as a client I like to think that my tattooer is so committed to my project that they carry it around in a special brief case hand cuffed to their wrist till my tattoo appt------ but as a tattooer I find it interesting that clients assume that as soon as they make their appointment- i'll be working on their tattoo non stop - till they're in my chair-

This isn't directed at anyone who posted--- just a side note.

He phoned so he didn't forget you. I'm sure the tattooer will have plently of time to draw up your design. Hes not being asked to do a re-design for the Sistine Chapel ceiling in 2 days. Speaking from personal experience I wouldn't worry too much. Its probobly just how this guy works. Some are super efficient with the admin side of things others are a bit more laid back. All that really matters is the tattoo. The last thing you want is to turn up at your appointment all stressed out.

And as a client I like to think that my tattooer is so committed to my project that they carry it around in a special brief case hand cuffed to their wrist till my tattoo appt------ but as a tattooer I find it interesting that clients assume that as soon as they make their appointment- i'll be working on their tattoo non stop - till they're in my chair-

This isn't directed at anyone who posted--- just a side note.

I know what your talking about, in my job I deal with a lot of clients that always assume that THEY are the number one priority in my life, which is not the case almost all the time. At the same time I personally would feel like a idiot if I completely forgot everything altogether. I have been trying to be understanding about the situation it is just a bit scary especially since it is my first tattoo and I do not understand the norms of the process. I still feel that at the end of the day it is a business and if I am not going to be even partially satisfied I will take my money and go. I have gotten a much better response from the other shop I stopped by while talking about the other piece I am getting done at the end of the summer.

depends on who youre dealing with really... personally I draw EVERY tattoo the night before or the morning of the tattoo or sometimes i draw it on the client with markers when they get there as do a vast number of top notch tattooers that i know do as well. I've been drawing for 30 years and drawing for tattoos 5-7 days a week for 15+ years. so when it seems like i drew your tattoo in 15 minutes, really i drew it in 30 years and 15 minutes as Bob Ross would say. There are tattooers who can work on a simple design everyday for a week and have it suck and there are tattooers that can draw the most complex and large designs in 5 minutes and create an amazing tattoo. its all relative. like i said it really depends on who your working with. everyone works differently.

I suppose though, its not to much to ask, that you are made to feel just that little bit special, that the artist cares about you just a tad...after all, you are giving him a large chunk of skin, to do what he wants on, and its sort or, well, permanent.

Feeling that the artist appreciates you giving him a large wad of cash at the end of the process, when you could have chosen hundreds of other artists, is , I assume, another story.

To be honest, I think this is more about you being worried since it's your first tattoo, more than anything. I think you'll relax a lot more once you've seen his drawing, and you'll find it's all fine. And if not, well just go to the other guy, haha.

no one has ever given me a large chunk of skin to "do whatever i want" on. ever. I appreciate all of my clients business and i verbally thank every one of them for getting tattooed by me. i am polite and do my best to give everyone a tattoo they'll love for as long as they have it. I draw every thing at the last minute because i can and because thats i like to work. when i'm drawing i make tons of mental notes about how im going to render thet final product(the tattoo). if i draw a tattoo a week in advance then by the time i sit down to do that tattoo all those mental notes are gone. I feel like it brings more creative energy to the tattoo.

i like to think that when people get tattooed by me it is because they liked my work and are confident that i am going to give them a good tattoo and not because they are doing me a favor. and that they are paying me for a job well done and again not because they are doing me a favor. just like when i choose a hair stylist, dentist, doctor, mechanic, plumber or etc., etc. i pick them because they have the ability to to the job i want and i dont feel like im doing them a favor.