"Tattoo Collector" ?????

else

kinda got this idea recently that I want to get tattooed in as many states as possible - I guess meeting Chad during his 50 state tour sparked something in me - anyway - I'll be hitting state #4 next week when I go to philly and as far as I can tell - I could hit 11 (counting DC) pretty easily just by car - getting tattooed by tattooers that I like in shops that I want to visit - will I carry through on this? i dont know maybe - I mean part of me says I could just get covered in Rob Ryan tattoos and be completely happy - but I also like a little bit the adventure of traveling and meeting new tattooers and seeing new shops - to be continued i guess

• 2 weeks later...

I've been called many things that are worse than 'tattoo collector' over the years; often deservedly so I will admit. I think I just crossed over this line recently myself. I now have 7 tattoos by 5 different artists. Really, in my mind, I'm just now to the point of qualifying as a tattooed person yet someone at work referred to me as having a lot of tattoos the other day. I wanted to say something like 'I know heavily tattooed people and I am not heavily tattooed' but I just let it go.  

I have other interests outside of tattooing. Motorcycles, knives, guns, and too a very small extent, watches (I say small extent because I cannot afford to be a watch collector, but I do like to look at them)

I belong to a few enthusiast forums and this type of post has never come up. If you buy a lot of knives, or even a few select ones you are collecting knives...same goes for guns, and watches. I guess motorcycles don't apply since most folks that ride have one. I bet it would be fun to be a motorcycle collector though.  I am more of a motorcycle enthusiast as I have one motorcycle, though would love a garage full of them  

Nothing wrong with collecting stuff. A lot of us here are pre-wired to do so. That's why we're here. To talk about the new tattoos we got or are getting, new prints or paintings we've picked up, conventions, guess spots, styles, etc.... If you do these things chances are you are a tattoo collector.  

Never heard it be used in a derogatory way by any tattooer.  Most tattooers could be considered collectors as well I guess. 

Rob

I've amassed a lot of stuff during various bursts of enthusiasm (stereo equipment! impractical shoes!) but I think of "collector" as implying that the person has a very particular taste and is discerning.  In a way, it also implies, to me, that there's an audience for the collecting. Like a record collector is different from a person who just has a lot of records, because the former might seek out specific pressings. I've had the good fortune of getting nice tattoos thanks to this place, but I don't have anything like the knowledge or refinement to think of myself as a collector.  Mostly I want to spraypaint this old jalopy so that it looks better.

Edited by polliwog

54 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I've amassed a lot of stuff during various bursts of enthusiasm (stereo equipment! impractical shoes!) but I think of "collector" as implying that the person has a very particular taste and is discerning.  In a way, it also implies, to me, that there's an audience for the collecting. Like a record collector is different from a person who just has a lot of records, because the former might seek out specific pressings. I've had the good fortune of getting nice tattoos thanks to this place, but I don't have anything like the knowledge or refinement to think of myself as a collector.  Mostly I want to spraypaint this old jalopy so that it looks better.

You said this better than I could have. I think the reason I'm reluctant to call myself a collector is because I don't have some kind of specific goal in mind. I like to get tattoos. It's fun to travel an get tattoos but I also have a local shop I really like. I prefer good tattoos and have some opinions on what that means but that's about it. A hardcore collector would always be looking to upgrade. Frankly that's not possible with tattoos, right? Same thing for me and the records I buy. I love vinyl record but only buy ones I will listen too. I don't care how vintage some random record is_ if I know I won't listen too it I won't buy it. The term tattoo collector seems awkward to me- although I suppose I have come to meet the definition. 

I walked into a shop the other day to scratch that itch and when the tattooer saw my legs he said, "Oh - you're a collector." We then spent 30 minutes talking about the various tattoos and where I got them. It was supposed to be a quick in-and-out, but I ended up sticking around and talking for a while. I've been busy with other things over the last year, so it was nice to get back into it all again. Yup. Collector.

to me a "tattoo collector" is one like me,

I consider myself a collector,

IMO a "tattoo collector"  is one who collects several different styles from several different artists.small and large pieces.

I have some tattoos from very well known artists,and some from not so well known artists,

I have some amazing tattoos and I have some not so amazing tattoos LOL,but they are mine and I like all my tattoos.

most of my tattoos do not really "go together" or stay with a particular theme,

I have full arm sleeves,but they consist of many different pieces and styles,some pretty small some large,some very old some new,the same goes for my legs,

I have a mix of  color tattoos and  B&G,I have some fineline and some bold line pieces,

I get a idea of the next piece and artist by how I feel at that moment,although I do now have a plan since I am running out of room,

my collection started in the early 80's and has been done by artists from texas & california & Hawaii.I like traveling  to get work done,I like getting convention tattoos also.

so that's my take on what a "tattoo collector" is.  :14_relaxed:

Edited by Dan

On 6/11/2016 at 11:25 AM, Rob I said:

too a very small extent, watches (I say small extent because I cannot afford to be a watch collector, but I do like to look at them)

Seriously.

I have one nice watch, a Citizen first generation Eco Drive, and only cost a fraction of what some of the watches I've looked at run. I do love some nice watches but, damn, that can be an expensive hobby. 

To me, what separates a whatever non-collector from a collector is their interest in the history and culture of whatever art form. Just owning artwork doesn't make you a collector, there needs to be a deeper interest.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, AverageJer said:

I think the reason I'm reluctant to call myself a collector is because I don't have some kind of specific goal in mind. A hardcore collector would always be looking to upgrade.  

I think we might have a different definition of collecting. I don't think collecting has to be a competitive event, even within yourself. "Upgrading" insinuates 1 piece of art might be better than another - whereas I "collect" what I like, regardless of whether or not it's local or distant, 1 style or another, big name or novice.

1 hour ago, SStu said:

I think we might have a different definition of collecting. I don't think collecting has to be a competitive event, even within yourself. "Upgrading" insinuates 1 piece of art might be better than another - whereas I "collect" what I like, regardless of whether or not it's local or distant, 1 style or another, big name or novice.

Yeah, I think you are right.