r/tattoos

Cork

With the prevalence of the internet and its use across all generations, reddit is becoming a huge community.... for better or worse.

Anyhow for those redditors out there, I figure you are at least aware of /r/tattoos. I am really curious to see what your thoughts are on it. Is it a good finger on the pulse of tattooing? Does it only catch fad or popular trending styles of tattoos? Do you think /r/tattoo holds any value in the tattoo community or is it too watered down with public opinion?

I'm subscribed to it, but it just bums me out more than anything. Not to sound holier-than-thou or like I'm some sort of authority on tattooing, but it further reinforces the sentiment that most people don't know anything about tattoos. Some good stuff definitely does pop up from time to time, though. I've actually posted a couple of my tattoos on there.

I'm subscribed to it, but it just bums me out more than anything. Not to sound holier-than-thou or like I'm some sort of authority on tattooing, but it further reinforces the sentiment that most people don't know anything about tattoos. Some good stuff definitely does pop up from time to time, though. I've actually posted a couple of my tattoos on there.

Precisely...most of the good stuff is from LSTers anyways (like you). Regardless, I beg everyone to not mention LST on there!

I browse /r/tattoos often but I'm not a fan of most of the work posted there....Some of it seems very cliche and sloppy, and as much as I love my cliche traditional I just don't get the same vibe from the thousands of exploding feather into birds tattoos I see...........But for anyone else interested in traditional there is also /r/traditionaltattoos which I find much more appealing. It's not very active but maybe with some more tattoos posted it could become a bigger subreddit.

@Cork did you check out the new shop Dave Fox is working at?

True Hand

Yeah I saw it, though I don't know what kind of importance that holds. He broke my tattoo hymen, but I haven't really kept in touch with him. I do want to get back with him in the future once my back is done.

I browse /r/tattoos often but I'm not a fan of most of the work posted there....Some of it seems very cliche and sloppy, and as much as I love my cliche traditional I just don't get the same vibe from the thousands of exploding feather into birds tattoos I see...........But for anyone else interested in traditional there is also /r/traditionaltattoos which I find much more appealing. It's not very active but maybe with some more tattoos posted it could become a bigger subreddit.

I figured there would probably be some better subreddits, thanks, I'll go check this one out.

I'd hate to see what has to be deleted by moderators there. There are some really good tattoos now and then and I find it nice to see some different styles other than just traditional. Not everyone goes to the big names in tattoos either and sometimes it is nice to see some good work come out of some places you wouldn't expect it. But most of the time the tattoos are pretty bad, especially if you look at them with the "New" button rather than the "Hot" button. Oh, and sometimes the criticism within /r/tattoos is that the reason why some stuff gets a lot of upvotes is because people like the story behind it, not because the tattoo was any good.

My tattoos aren't very good and there's not that much in the way of stories behind them (assuming anybody would care) leaving me with very little karma for my tattoos in either community.