Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Advice for someone who is terrified of needles

Advice for someone who is terrified of needles

Yeap, you are reading right..... This is it; we belong to a biker club, and most of us love tattoos. The more the better, and we have fun talking about the whole process and what we will have done next. But my friend ( huge football playr guy) has none. So he asked me to go with him to see my artist; cool. Helped him pick a nice skull football theme ; cool. He lasted 20 mtes in the chair; not cool. We are at visit 3 , and the outline of the damn thing is not finished. At first i thought well, i am helping a friend. Plus i had hours of sitting in that chair and did not feel much. But i am getting mad as hell; how can i calm him down? He says it hurts too much (forearm). But he wants ( and needs now ) to get it done or he'll never hear the end of it. You know how bikers are sensitive about teasing... Lol
    What do you recommend????

Images

Re: Advice for someone who is terrified of needles

I have heard of numbing topical creams some artists use, ask about that. If this is also an anxiety thing, does he have a prescription for something to take right before? I personally pop 2 percocets on the way to the appt if I'm gonna be in the chair for 2-3 hours.

CG
    There is more way to skin a cat, but most will make you puke...

Images
    Tell him to man up. Haha. Assuming he isn't overly sensitive to pain (assuming nother since he plays contact sports) I would say it anxiety. Some people freak out at the idea of getting stabbed repetitively for hours on end (weirdos). If it's anxiety he has to be able to calm down himself and I do t know much you can do to help. If it's pain then there are creams than can dull the pain pretty good.
    JAllen and Kev like this.
    "The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg
    If your new here, READ THIS!
    Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ
    If you have questions please PM a moderator.

Images

Never underestimate shame as a motivator. Seriously though, if it's just a forearm tattoo, one application of Dr. Numb (or whatever magic soap your artist prefers) should be enough to finish it. Xanax or something like that can be really helpful too (from what I'm told)...it doesn't ease the pain, but makes it easier to deal with. And like CG said, if it's an anxiety thing that might help with that.

Regular Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Funny you mention this guy is a huge football player. I've heard tattoo artists say that they're always the ones who can't handle the pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Colored Guy View Post
    I have heard of numbing topical creams some artists use, ask about that. If this is also an anxiety thing, does he have a prescription for something to take right before? I personally pop 2 percocets on the way to the appt if I'm gonna be in the chair fior 2-3 hours.

CG
    I'm surprised this works as a prophylactic. Just seems logical to me that a painkiller would only work on existing pain?

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    Funny you mention this guy is a huge football player. I've heard tattoo artists say that they're always the ones who can't handle the pain!
    Don't believe the hype , the last person I heard regurgitate a similar story was Bubbleberry !

We tried the gel, i gave him tylenol before, we put headphones on him with music, we had music blaring in the shop to psyc hum up. His freaking whining is driving me crazy. After 3 kids, i swear this guy is driving me crazy. But he is a friend....but the noises he makes! First i had a few laugh and told his girlfriend he must be a noisy one... Lol . Now i get why she does not want to be at the shop. He does not take pills if any kind, except tylenols. So choices are scarce. My next option is a baseball bat on the side of the head; his or mine.

Images

I wouldn't listen to his whining. Tell him to either suck it up or shut the fuck up and deal with having a half finished tattoo. Shit hurts, but not THAT bad. If he can't deal with it even with numbing gel, he doesn't deserve to have the tattoo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Natveggie45 View Post
    We tried the gel, i gave him tylenol before, we put headphones on him with music, we had music blaring in the shop to psyc hum up. His freaking whining is driving me crazy. After 3 kids, i swear this guy is driving me crazy. But he is a friend....but the noises he makes! First i had a few laugh and told his girlfriend he must be a noisy one... Lol . Now i get why she does not want to be at the shop. He does not take pills if any kind, except tylenols. So choices are scarce. My next option is a baseball bat on the side of the head; his or mine.
    I understand that getting tattooed is far from comfortable but seriously... I have felt FAR worse pain and never complained. The only time I could understand tapping out is long hours on uncomfortable areas (ribs, armpit, asscrack, ditch, etc).

I would say this guy must have something wrong going on in his head. I know some big sissies that can at least sit for an hour in the chair without whining. If it's a serious anxiety problem well I can feel for that from personal experience but if that's the case meds would probably be the only option.
    "The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg
    If your new here, READ THIS!
    Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ
    If you have questions please PM a moderator.

I will make him read all these posts; there is no anxiety there that i can see. He wants to be like the rest of the gang, and cant handle discomfort. On the football field, he is one of the biggest so people leave him alone. He always has to have the biggest bike, the loudest voice, the cutest girl ( she us dumb though....); he is a chilhood friend, and i love him that way. But hubby cant stand him... Wonder why!!!!!! Maybe reading some of these might shame him enough..... I just want him to finish the skull at least. It looks like a penis at this point.. It is empty and the base is not done! So i call him dickhead now.. Afraid i am a little nasty.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast