Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Full body suit people?

Images

Full body suit people?

So I have a couple questions for the folks that are completely covered. Were you happy to be totally tattooed and have a completed suit or a little bummed out cause you couldn't get any more tattoos? I've seen quite a few people just start slappin new ones on top of old ones for a 2nd coat...thoughts?

Images

Re: Full body suit people?

i just got tattooed 3 times back to back last week on my thighs because i'm trying to get it over with so i never have to get tattooed again. i personally will be happy when i'm done and can get no more.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

There's a guy in SF named Maron Hasegawa. He had full sleeves from Colin Stevens, then decided he wanted a full suit. He flew to Japan and, in one year, got fully suited by Horiyoshi III:

It's not shown in those pics, but it goes down to his ankles. Donburi style, as they say in Japan. I think he got tattooed every other day for a year. Just think about that for a minute.

I had the pleasure of meeting Maron at Diamond Club a few years back, and I asked him a similar question: does it feel weird to be [/i]done[/i]? He seemed to imply that it was. He said he asked Horiyoshi about tattooing his head, to which the master replied, "Nah...you're done."

There's also a guy in one of Horitaka's books who has a full 9-dragon body suit that Horiyoshi did in a year and a half. It's everything but the strip down the center of his chest ("river style"), and the whole thing--neck to ankles, full sleeves--is black and gray. I think about that guy from time to time, because it's insane to me to think that someone went 30+ years without a drop of ink, then made the huge decision to get fully suited. I just can't get my head around it.

As I alluded to in the Collecting Different Styles thread, I'm really happy with what I've got, but it's all over the place. The thought of having a full cohesive body suit is absolutely foreign to me.

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries

That Horiyoshi III suit is insane. Makes me wish I had money to buy Juan's book.

Blog Entries
    Images

Chris Trevino aka HORIMANA

The 9 dragon bodysuit is legendary for sure ,theres a guy named Edward Burd who has one also tattooed by Chris Trevino .Its in a few books but theres also some great shots on his web-site.
    Likes nico, Jack liked this.

Images

one day i hope to have a near full coverage. just working on it one tattoo at a time. im only 22 so ive got plenty of time.
    Likes WGDRMZwylie liked this.

had to bump this, i literally got lost in the back piece of that body suit on trevino's site

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    had to bump this, i literally got lost in the back piece of that body suit on trevino's site
    I was around a lot while Ed was getting that bodysuit. He had no tattoos and decided at 50 (or close to it) years old that he wanted a nine dragon bodysuit. It took almost two years of him flying to Austin for a week at a time. I am pretty sure that he told me the backpiece took five straight days.
    Likes gougetheeyes, hogg, Kev liked this.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bump again.

Was reading the Nick Rodin interview in the last TAM where he was talking about hurrying to get a ton of tattoos when he was just starting out.. and I remembered Oliver Peck saying a similar thing, how he always wanted full coverage and how they had to hurry up and knock it out (and then TAM graced us with funny n00dz of the two).. but it got me wondering about how other LSTers are faring -- are people on track? Does anyone else have a timeline? Does anyone else give a shit? Tougher if you're not a tattooer, it seems.

I'm coming up on the big 3-0 and not nearly as "done" as I'd like to be. Always said I wanted my back started by 30 but it's comin down to the wire and I got bills and all the bullshit I didn't have when I was 18, 21. Need to knock out some big stuff this year to keep on track! Get my priorities in order!

Images

I eventually want a full body suit. But I like getting one piece at a time. Can't get a back piece until I start dating someone full-time. Who else is gonna apply lotion for me?

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast