Butterfly Flash

I promise I combed through the forum to make sure I'm not repeating anyone. I know we have the gallery album for Butterfly tattoos, but those galleries are lacking *sorry*. I have a hankering to get a traditional-esque butterfly on a whim from some good flash. It would be nice if it was "historical" (SJ, Zeis, Wicks, etc.), if that makes sense.

Otherwise, feel free to share your favorite butterfly tattoos. Shoddy swirls and stars need not apply.

I do love a good butterfly tattoo. I was talking to a guy who is planning to write a book on the history of tattooing and we got into a discussion on butterflies and masculinity. He laughed and told me that he thought a guy getting a butterfly tattoo in this day and age was almost asking to get beaten up. He is not particularly dialed into the scene. I rolled up my sleeve for him to reveal my SJ butterfly that I picked from a book of Jerry flash at my local shop. I love it and it has never for a moment posed a threat to my masculinity (however it is that I may wish to define it.) Edit: This was done by Glennie at The Pearl in Toronto. She has a much nicer pic on her instagram feed, if you were to scroll back the better part of a year.

I do love a good butterfly tattoo. I was talking to a guy who is planning to write a book on the history of tattooing and we got into a discussion on butterflies and masculinity. He laughed and told me that he thought a guy getting a butterfly tattoo in this day and age was almost asking to get beaten up. He is not particularly dialed into the scene. I rolled up my sleeve for him to reveal my SJ butterfly that I picked from a book of Jerry flash at my local shop. I love it and it has never for a moment posed a threat to my masculinity (however it is that I may wish to define it.) Edit: This was done by Glennie at The Pearl in Toronto. She has a much nicer pic on her instagram feed, if you were to scroll back the better part of a year.

While acknowledging what you hint at about the complex issue of masculinity, I'm going to say that I think that butterfly tattoos are actually pretty tough.

While acknowledging what you hint at about the complex issue of masculinity, I'm going to say that I think that butterfly tattoos are actually pretty tough.

I have to agree. It's always interesting to me to see how people react to tattoos that challenge their preconceptions of gendered norms. I've got a hot air balloon on my leg that a friend of mine is certain no man should have. He has a collection of hyper realistic wolves howling at moons, etc. so his choices are not my bag either.

I have to agree. It's always interesting to me to see how people react to tattoos that challenge their preconceptions of gendered norms. I've got a hot air balloon on my leg that a friend of mine is certain no man should have. He has a collection of hyper realistic wolves howling at moons, etc. so his choices are not my bag either.

Does this friend also think that rose tattoos aren't manly? Because there is no tattoo more manly than a rose, and that's a fact.

@Graeme I think he'd be suspicious of a rose tattoo. He was one of the first of my friends to get into tattooing back in the mid-80s. That said, we never agreed on what makes a good tattoo. We've drifted apart over the years. I ran into him this summer and all he could do was crap on my tattoos. He had just come from getting his baby's hand prints tattood on his chest. So, yeah. Chacun a son gout, I guess.

Came to post this Sailor Jerry sheet:

SJ+Butterflies.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is that on the inside of your elbow? If so we are twins, and my friend got one at the same time (Mine from Mario Desa and his from Nick Colella) in pretty much the exact same location.

Also notice the rose tattoo on the elbow and the cutesy folk bird near the armpit, I'm clearly concerned about my masculinity and being tough. Sorry about the terrible photo: SJbutterfly_zpsc7ee4cbd.jpg

Came to post this Sailor Jerry sheet:

SJ+Butterflies.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is that on the inside of your elbow? If so we are twins, and my friend got one at the same time (Mine from Mario Desa and his from Nick Colella) in pretty much the exact same location.

Also notice the rose tattoo on the elbow and the cutesy folk bird near the armpit, I'm clearly concerned about my masculinity and being tough. Sorry about the terrible photo: SJbutterfly_zpsc7ee4cbd.jpg

Ha! Yup looks like just about the same spot. I love that little folk bird. Is that by Mario? Great tattoos! I've got a few roses too. Redefining masculinity ftw!

Ha! Yup looks like just about the same spot. I love that little folk bird. Is that by Mario? Great tattoos! I've got a few roses too. Redefining masculinity ftw!

Yeah, everything in that photo is from Mario except the rose on the elbow, which is from Josh Stephens. And thanks, your arm looks pretty killer as well, the difference is that your arm looks finished, and mine unfortunately has too much empty space.

Yeah, everything in that photo is from Mario except the rose on the elbow, which is from Josh Stephens. And thanks, your arm looks pretty killer as well, the difference is that your arm looks finished, and mine unfortunately has too much empty space.

I love the way my sleeves have taken shape, but I do wish I had a couple of extra arms to keep working on. This forum has a way of making me want more and more and more...

I'm hoping Mario is going to travel to Toronto again. I've got a couple of spots saved for future tattoos by him.

I love the way my sleeves have taken shape, but I do wish I had a couple of extra arms to keep working on. This forum has a way of making me want more and more and more...

I'm hoping Mario is going to travel to Toronto again. I've got a couple of spots saved for future tattoos by him.

It's both frustrating and really fortunate that I have tons of space left. Fortunate, because I want to keep getting more, but frustrating because I'm tired of not having more of my body tattooed.

• 1 month later...

Gonna use this Thread for this question. There is a Sheet of flash which are all butterflys and I want to know the Name of the artist who the sheet was done by. The artist Signed it PM and I believe its dedicated to Horiken (could be thinking of a different sheet by the same artist). Anywho there is one butterfly where the torso is a girl head and the design in the wings are a shipwreck and a sunset. Another one is a skull and the wing designs are like cross bones and what have you. The reason I ask is I want to get the "girl head butterfly" and I'm big on the name game so if people happen to ask I like to say "oh this is so and so's flash done by so and so..

• 2 weeks later...
I love how this thread is turning into a discussion on masculinity and no women have posted yet except myself. Excellent.

I just emailed Kings Ave to book with Kim-Anh Nguyen in May for a one-shot butterfly (woo!). I have a feeling she will have the design I desire :)

Did this happen? How'd I miss this? Funny enough, I just picked up that sheet o' flutter-bys from Perez, I'd love to get one or three.