Quit Smoking

slayer9019

I quit cold turkey about six or seven years ago...second attempt at it...after smoking about a pack a day for around the same. It was rough...I was crawling up walls waiting for the stores around me to close so I couldn't run out and buy smokes when I first quit. As hard as it was, it was totally worth it, I felt a lot better, I had a lot more money. Keep it up!

Man, do I ever need to quit. I get free smoking cessation stuff from work and just haven't done it yet.

I personally never really liked all the nicotine replacement crap. You still get super-edgy, but you are never really quit until you get the nicotine out of your system. Never really understood the use of that stuff.

I only smoked from 15-20, probably smoked half pack to a pack a day most of the time. I quit on my 20th birthday after getting really messed up and waking up hacking a lung. It mostly worked, I never really started again, but would smoke when drinking, and when I dated girls I the occasional became more frequent. But I can say for the last 5 years I haven't had one single cigarette. So it took me about 8 years to fully quit.

Good job on quitting, keep at it.

I've quit for about 2 and a half years now. Smokes a pack a day for about 15 years. I tried to quit numerous times. I even went 11 months one time. I know i'll never smoke again, period.

I always like talking about what finally clicked in order to make me quit. It was a book. Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. I highly recommend it to anyone who really wishes to quit. Its not a big book. Its so short and sweet that I could have easily read it in one day. It took me nearly 3 weeks to actually finish the book. It was very intimidating, because I was wondering how a book could actually make me quit. It doesn't lecture you much, it just goes thru all the scenarios smokers can relate to and it really breaks down why you smoke. I found it gave me the tools I needed. My dad and 3 friends have read the book and still remain smoke free. I highly recommend it.

I smoked for about ten years, what helped me quit was picking up chewing gum. pack comes with 20 sticks, gives me a little perspective shift, and helps occupy my subconscious or whatever. I buy it by the case. my brand is 'extra; polar ice'.

Hang in there - first 30 days are the toughest, it get's easier and before long you'll be annoyed by smokers hah.

Well done @slayer9019 and good luck. I gave up cold turkey in 2010 during an album release/campaign. Our publicist had just given up (3 days in) and I remember asking him "Your doing publicity for X amount of albums at the moment, and your giving up now? Shouldn't you wait for a better/less stressful time?" And he just said "There's never going to be a better time, If I use that excuse I'll always just put it off" and I knew he was right, so I just stopped too. I found it was usually the "3" mark that would make me falter - 3 days, 3 weeks and then strangely enough around the 3 month mark I had the craving.

I will admit though, that when I'm in Japan getting tattooed I do have the occasional cigarette during breaks. I'm not sure why, but I think it's more of a social thing and it gives me a chance to hang out with the guys and get to know them a little better. Get back home and it doesn't phase me, no wants or needs for a cigarette so I'm ok with that.

Either way, keep on keeping on my brother!

Over 35 yrs. of smoking, sometimes 2 packs a day. I quit on 9-19-2012 (International Talk Like a Pirate Day) with the help of auroculotherapy (ear zap). I haven't smoked since but I have gained about 20lbs.! I now view myself as a non-smoker not a quiter.

Edited by Jimbo
capital letter?!

[...] Our publicist had just given up (3 days in) and I remember asking him "Your doing publicity for X amount of albums at the moment, and your giving up now? Shouldn't you wait for a better/less stressful time?" And he just said "There's never going to be a better time, If I use that excuse I'll always just put it off" and I knew he was right, so I just stopped too..

This part really jumped out at me because my excuse has been "Not until later this spring, if I try to quit now I'm gonna fight somebody!". Maybe I should just stop making excuses. And hey, if the craziness of quitting makes me pick fights, maybe they're fights I needed to have! Lol.

Congrats on quitting, @slayer9019. I am super envious :b

Im 57, started smoking when I was 15, and I just cant seem to kick. Its the worst habit I have had in my life. Its strange though, Ive been locked up on more than one occasion, and you cant smoke in county jails, or prison anymore, but it didnt other me one bit. No craving, not even after meals. I would go 2-3 years without a cigarette. The entire time telling myself, "when i get out im not gonna start back up" But as soon as I would hit the street, thats one of the first thing I wanted. I guess when it wasnt an option, my mind set to the fact and blocked them out. But then when I got out, the option was there, and the mind said hey lets burn one. lol. I wish you luck.

Quit almost 20 years ago...smoked about a pack a day for 5 years, woke up one morning and grabbed a cigarette first thing like i normally did. Decided right then and there that I needed to stop. Threw away the rest of what I had and never picked it up again. It was rough going for awhile but knew I wanted to stick with it. I think the most important thing is that you have to want to quit.

I've smoked from 18-now 26, I tried that chantix combined with E-Cigarette, and was able to be smoke free for over five weeks until that one night at the local bar. alcohol combined with cigarettes has been proved to be my weakness for relapse. I plan on trying the method again soon, hopefully with more will when the occasional drink is poured.

Bravo to all of you who have quit! And to those who are still trying, keep at it! You can try again if you slip up :)

My mom had a stroke last June due to smoking (she was 54). And helping her get through that was rough. She never really fully recovered (and unfortunately due to other complications, she died in Sept.).

Watching her have to relearn how to walk, grasp and talk was brutal. And all the while she was begging me for a cigarette!

I guess I'm thankful that her excessive smoking made me sick when I was younger so I never really gave it a try other than once or twice when I was in my teens.