Full Back Piece Experience Thread

gougetheeyes

Hey all,

Today I started my back piece with Scott Rusnak out of Lucky Strike Tattoo in Edmonton, Alberta. We are doing something a little out of the traditional notion of Japanese tattooing--a large octopus with some of his rad lightning laid over top. This is only my third tattoo (the other's being only palm sized jammers) and after my four-hour linework sit today, I am humbled. All of the spots feel like bad spots, but now a couple hours after things are feeling good and I'm looking forward to the next sit where we will finish the linework and start some shading, hopefully. We're planning on bringing it down to the knees with some rocks and heikegani crabs. The bare patch near my left shoulder will also probably be filled with some more water and another crab. Ultimately, this first experience was intense but totally manageable and very rewarding.

13521983_1059142960835658_1520439883029932322_n.jpg

@Matej Haviar ha that's you ! saw this on Scott's IG the other day. he didn't cut you any slack eh, that's some tight lines on the ass and kidney areas. you'll be relieved once you get on the shoulders. 

bad ass dude! props on taking on a back project as your third piece. congrats and good stuff on hooking it up with Cap'n Scott. He's tattooed me a couple times (most recently the snake in my avatar) and one of my fave tattoo dudes in Edmonton.

You going to the Lucky Strike party this weekend? Don't bother bringing a shirt, once it comes off Scott won't let you put it back on haha. cheers

Edited by bongsau

@bongsau Here's hoping! I get off work at midnight, and those guys start drinking before noon, so we will see. But the lining over the kidneys and lower back was pretty freakin intense, but the stoke pulled me through. Next session is in a couple weeks and I'll totally post up some updates.

Edited by Matej Haviar

• 4 weeks later...

Second session down! Did want to sit for longer but the heavy shading over the spine did me in for the day. 4 and a half hours here. Definitely feeling better now that the majority of lining is done (although more on the thighs later, but the shoulders are blocked out and it's starting to look more like a backpiece now. Knowing what to expect in what area as far as pain definitely helped make the sit easier and go by quicker.

13776031_1076905175726103_5161507623970575375_n.jpg

13769475_1076905185726102_4843193830962725108_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the back up with another session yesterday, and now I can thankfully say that all of the lining of this piece is done, save for some details while colouring. The rest of the background should fill in quite quickly, given that it took Scott three and a half hours to line my thighs and about twenty minutes to blast the massive wave over my ribs. He used a 15 mag, so probably the least sharp pain so far, although that whole area is feeling a little bruised. 12.5 hours total chair time here. We got another sit later this month. Hit it hard!

13920786_1085555151527772_3065165951711561740_n.jpg

13880362_1085555168194437_9140673253721226831_n.jpg

13892292_1085555178194436_1747123890185102133_n.jpg

I've had 2 consecutive days with Chris Crooks from White Dragon Tattoo in Belfast. First day he did all the line work (7 hours) and the second day he did background and some shading (6 hours). It was an amazing experience with a phenomenal artist and down to earth great guy. I'm blown away by the quality and speed of his work. ccfa9ac62a9e0eff35945eb526a429cf.jpg5e885ac42c9ec156865e5c0e3fbd9ce5.jpga01f4c69f9bb53ac2b535a7cd2c69f51.jpg

He put a video up on his instagram doing the piece more justice. I will be flying back to Belfast in December for the continuation of this piece.

1 hour ago, Acedia said:

I've had 2 consecutive days with Chris Crooks from White Dragon Tattoo in Belfast. First day he did all the line work (7 hours) and the second day he did background and some shading (6 hours). It was an amazing experience with a phenomenal artist and down to earth great guy. I'm blown away by the quality and speed of his work. 

He put a video up on his instagram doing the piece more justice. I will be flying back to Belfast in December for the continuation of this piece.

You're a trooper for sitting for 2 consecutive days like that! It allready looks absolutely amazing, can't wait to see how this will look once finished. Enjoy the ride man!

On August 4, 2016 at 2:58 PM, bongsau said:

@Matej Haviar dude you're taking it like a champ! mentally prepare yourself for the butt wave and the kidneys...the fun is just getting started haha

Solid black kidneys = only time I have ever puked after a tattoo session. +1 to mentally and physically prepare yourself. Be in a good place that day. 

Planning on getting my back done by Dave Cummings in a year. Im going to discuss it with him while he tattoos my arm at the convention. Im not sure what I want yet. Im thinking either Benten, some sort of giesha imagery, or just a dragon. Ill probably go with the latter. I always lived dragon back pieces, and I LOVE the one he did on Halter.

Im grateful that he's fairly close to New Brunswick, its only a 1 hour plane ride, although it would be nicer if I lived in Montreal.

I am nervous about the pain. Im a pretty good sitter, but when I got my chest done, the pain and discomfort was unbearable. 4 hour sit. One shot. Might have to do with the fact I have almost no muscle on my chest, the tattooer who did it is slow and heavy handed, and it was right on my sternum. I dont know. I guess Ill have to just suck it up. Recently I found that not listening to music and not being on my phone makes the experience much better. You kinda go into a meditative state when you dont destract yourself. I fell asleep during my last leg tattoo.

1 hour ago, a_beukeveld said:

Planning on getting my back done by Dave Cummings in a year. Im going to discuss it with him while he tattoos my arm at the convention. Im not sure what I want yet. Im thinking either Benten, some sort of giesha imagery, or just a dragon. Ill probably go with the latter. I always lived dragon back pieces, and I LOVE the one he did on Halter.

Im grateful that he's fairly close to New Brunswick, its only a 1 hour plane ride, although it would be nicer if I lived in Montreal.

I am nervous about the pain. Im a pretty good sitter, but when I got my chest done, the pain and discomfort was unbearable. 4 hour sit. One shot. Might have to do with the fact I have almost no muscle on my chest, the tattooer who did it is slow and heavy handed, and it was right on my sternum. I dont know. I guess Ill have to just suck it up. Recently I found that not listening to music and not being on my phone makes the experience much better. You kinda go into a meditative state when you dont destract yourself. I fell asleep during my last leg tattoo.

Dave did a pretty big tiger on my ribs last fall. He's pretty quick and fairly gentle, but most importantly, he's awesome! You'll get an epic tattoo from a tattooer's   tattooer.