Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Chicano Tattoo Style

Ex-Lurker Contest Winner Tim Hendricks's Avatar
    Images

Re: Chicano Tattoo Style

I started with 'homemade machines' and sharpening my needles on matchbooks. All I knew at the time was single needle and black ink, I was totally clueless to anything else. When I met real tattooers and learned to make real needles I was instantly hooked, there was no turning back. I rarely use single needle these days, I want my tattoos to last as long the person I make them on, but I am very proud to know how to wield a single needle when need be. I believe Chicano style comes purely from where you came from as a tattooer and how you learned. Some try and copy it, some actually do an amazing job at creating it as well, but in my opinion the only people who can tattoo that true Chicano style are the people who lived it.

ps - Ben Grillo tattooed my foot yesterday, he busted out the single needle, ouch.

Blog Entries
    Images

because I worked for GTC in Modesto for yrs it is part of my lexicon, and I do feel like I ''get it ''having grew up with many Chicans in the suburbs of the East Bay ,Nor Cal,So I feel like It being strictly So Cal is not true. Charlie left ELA in 85'. To quote Tim...''that fish has been fileted''.Do to the internet and media everyone ,now, can pretend to be part of it. Even in south Alabama they like my ''California style'' lettering. Not because I imitate, But because its part of who I am. although BJ's books are beautiful and helpful to the masses, that's not where'' I'' got It....heck I did Scott S's belly rocker 20yrs ago...''Loco Amor'' .Scott and them at American Graffiti used to ask me how and what spanish words were spelt and meant...hehehe...another Huero..Soy Como Soy.

Blog Entries
    Images

I do like this thread ,but Freddy ? Im not sure he belongs in here.Ive known Freddy for a long time ,I never really thought of him as a ''Chicano'' style tattooer. I havent seen Jack in yrs,does he still use singles? I havent in yrs. these factory 3s are plenty tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by klauskosmas View Post
    I'd like to start a chicano style tattoo threat. The style is a favorite of mine. It also translates well into traditional style tattooing.
    I'd like to know which tattooers are highly influenced by this style, as I'd like to get more work done.

Some of my favorite chicano style tattooers are:

Jack Rudy
    Freddy Corbin
    Eli Quinters
    Jason McAfee
    Tim Hendricks
    Daniel Albrigo
    Fernando Lions
    Chuco Moreno
    UZI

Here are some of my tattoos. Based off of Teen Angels Magazines.

By Eli Quinters.
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG]
    [/IMG]
    Jack likes this.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hendricks View Post
    ps - Ben Grillo tattooed my foot yesterday, he busted out the single needle, ouch.
    I saw pics of Ben tattooing your foot--came out great! I have 4 little tattoos from him; 3 were all single needle and the other was mostly single. All 4 are awesome, and I'm sure Ben was stoked to get to put something on you.

Ex-Lurker

That's great Tim! Words of wisdom! Great advice. It would be an honor to get tattooed by you someday!

Contributor Contest Winner
    Blog Entries

Daaaayum I'm glad somebody brought up dick warsaki. My old boss has a huuuge front thigh piece by him. Huuuge buffalo head. If you get close enough you can see a tiny Indians head he tattooed in the animals eye. It's fucking amazing!!! Tattooed Dicks nephew a handful of times. He bugged out when we told him all about his uncle and how famous he is to us guys haha

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Avila View Post
    Daaaayum I'm glad somebody brought up dick warsaki. My old boss has a huuuge front thigh piece by him. Huuuge buffalo head. If you get close enough you can see a tiny Indians head he tattooed in the animals eye. It's fucking amazing!!! Tattooed Dicks nephew a handful of times. He bugged out when we told him all about his uncle and how famous he is to us guys haha
    One of the most slept on of the single needle old guarde, and among my favorite tattooers. Did I mention tony olivas? Him too.

Blog Entries
    Images

I missed it...somebody said somethin about Worsocki? Charlie used to talk about him. Lets hear some....
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio Avila View Post

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Here are a few pics from Dick Warsocki's Facebook page:

Blog Entries
    Images

hell yeah.....lets see more ol school shit. thx Hogg.Its funny, my grlfrnd said when she saw this ''wow, nice photorealism'' and I said '' Chicano style is where it came from'',right or wrong?If you work in a shop regularly tattooing chicans and blacks, you will do portraits,like it or not.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast

Support LST!