Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Nice, saw that sucker on instagram! I visited Electric for the first time a few weeks ago and I, too, have a feeling I'll be making some trips down there. Seriously incredible shop.

Electric is like Jersey's version of Smith Street,but the prices are much more reasonable.

@Duffa - Yep, it's been wrapped for the entire time since the tattoo was finished. Except of course when changing the cling-wrap or having a shower. I've washed it about 3 times today and let it dry for about half an hour after each wash. Then put on a tiny amount of bepanthen and re-wrap. I'll let you know how it turns out, but so far there's no noticeable difference than my usual method of only wrapping for the first night.

i've healed a few of tattoos this way. it seems to work better but is also a hassle. especially if its in a weird spot

That is a fantastic tattoo. So much good mojo put into that thing!

Thanks everyone. I keep trying to make up excuses to head all the way back to New Jersey; I'd say I was going to the beach if I weren't healing tattoos until August (kind of screwed myself over this year in terms of summer fun). I suppose there's August... I love that shop.

Electric is like Jersey's version of Smith Street,but the prices are much more reasonable.

Ive never been to either shop but that's an interesting quote. Being in CT, I'm closer to Smith Street than Electric but I've always admired the tattoos that Electric puts out. Smith St. obviously has such a solid reputation I'd love to get tattooed there but NY prices (generally speaking) make me cringe. I have no idea what the rates at Smith St. are.

I haven't made an addition to this thread since page 30 something. My time has finally come!

Richard Stell, guest spotting at Smith Street Tattoo in NYC. It was an awesome experience. Richard is hilarious. He had my abs cramping up at one point from laughing to much... or it was the hypoglycemia setting in. Regardless it was a lot of fun.

if it was like my experience

the cramping was a little of both

stell is an awesome dude, nice, good stories...also in tune with how much pain he was causing me

at one point he said "alright, don't hate me now. atleast you're not bruised and bloody..."

and atleast it was over in a little under 2.5 hrs.

So, this is a painting by Ralph Johnstone, done for Tatts Thomas way back when they were working on south State Street in Chicago. Nick Colella is putting it on my ribs tomorrow, (without the lettering) that should be fun. I'll post up the finished work as soon as possible.

I can't wait to see this.

Ive never been to either shop but that's an interesting quote. Being in CT, I'm closer to Smith Street than Electric but I've always admired the tattoos that Electric puts out. Smith St. obviously has such a solid reputation I'd love to get tattooed there but NY prices (generally speaking) make me cringe. I have no idea what the rates at Smith St. are.

What i meant was their both traditional shop's with a lot of the flash being painted by the tattooers in house.I know Mike,Tom,& Robert,worked with each other for years at another shop until opening Electric.I believe the guy's at Smith Street were all friends,and maybe worked with one another until opening the shop.Both shop's have a great vibe,and have some flash from some of the old time greats.Both shop's have some real good guest artists.I think having a shop in the city your going to have more notoriety than if you were in a small beach town in Jersey.As far as prices,all of the shops in the city usually have the same hourly wage.I've talked to people visiting the city from Australia,& England,that got tattooed at some of the shop's in the city,and i couldn't believe the prices they paid for a small tattoo off the wall.

Thanks guys. Honestly, at first all I could do was critique it against the Dave Fox piece on my chest. But it's not even fair to do that, it's like comparing apples to oranges. They both have such a different style. I love it. And at first I thought it was just inflammation in the skin, but he actually put little shades of red ink mixed all over to make the baku look mottled. I'll get a better pic and stick in the Best Tattoo of June thread, once it heals fully.

I had told Stell I was thinking about maybe getting a wind bar swirl or something over the knee cap, he says "I don't do knee caps anymore if I can help it, unless I have a personal vendetta against the person." He is quite aware of the pain he is causing, ha.

Also one of Stell's buddies stopped by, he had a wicked Lehi tiger on his neck. Not to mention sick stuff on his calves and arms, but that neck tiger was beautiful.

Thanks guys. Honestly, at first all I could do was critique it against the Dave Fox piece on my chest. But it's not even fair to do that, it's like comparing apples to oranges. They both have such a different style. I love it. And at first I thought it was just inflammation in the skin, but he actually put little shades of red ink mixed all over to make the baku look mottled. I'll get a better pic and stick in the Best Tattoo of June thread, once it heals fully.

I had told Stell I was thinking about maybe getting a wind bar swirl or something over the knee cap, he says "I don't do knee caps anymore if I can help it, unless I have a personal vendetta against the person." He is quite aware of the pain he is causing, ha.

Also one of Stell's buddies stopped by, he had a wicked Lehi tiger on his neck. Not to mention sick stuff on his calves and arms, but that neck tiger was beautiful.

wow its not even close to me no disrespect to dave fox. I just like this style alot better and it looks like a tattoo. I like tattoos

wow its not even close to me no disrespect to dave fox. I just like this style alot better and it looks like a tattoo. I like tattoos