Anisya

Tattoos in films

I know many of you are film lovers but there doesn't seem to be a thread about tattoos in films....I decided to start with my favourite from 'Eastern Promises'627c934b2f476a18668d7c754614dcde3e36a762_m.jpg

(this picture doesn't include stars on each knee that he had in the film, as far as I remember)

I don't think people realize that most tattoos you see in the cinema are the work of theatrical make-up artists....I think they've made a good job on Viggo and those tattoos are also very important to the film plot as we realize that we are dealing with real Russian mafia, not some plain criminal...and that there is some tragic history behind each of those marks....

Anyone has a favourite tattoo from a film?

Or maybe an opinion on how tattoos are represented by the movie industry? And why is there so much TRIBAL?? In the era of HD TV and digital cameras the excuse that some tattoos don't film well and it's best to use bold black designs is no longer enough to justify all those designs!

Here is the bone tattoo Russell Crowe had in Romper Stomper.

romper.jpg

Don't like this one. Not one bit. And it looks fake...didn't do a good job there....

I have no picture, but the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is the immediate one that comes to mind. I liked the suspense of the movie, but imo the tattoo wasn't the greatest.

I have no picture, but the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is the immediate one that comes to mind. I liked the suspense of the movie, but imo the tattoo wasn't the greatest.

Yeah, it was even worse in the original film. it is much better in the book ;)

George Clooney has the much replicated tribal flame sleeve in From Dusk Til' Dawn.

That's actually a tattoo I don't get! It doesn't do anything for the film, just distracts throughout and when we finally see it, in the last act, is quite disappointing...I know they've made it to show the character is such a 'bad ass' but we already know he is!

dusk5.jpg

1323368232992_1273072161778_3500_0115_mif_640_320_2x1_Overlay_590_295.jpg

"They're not tattoos, they're skin illustrations! Don't you ever call them tattoos! "

Is this 'The Illustrated Man'? I haven't seen it...any good?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• Hahahah @SteelByDesign I love it! I live in Pittsburgh. 🙂
    • I'm actually born and raised in Cincinnati! My dad is from near Pittsburgh, and I still have a lot of family there but was raised as a fan from the beginning.  My artist was a Bengals fan and grumbled throughout but did a great job!
    • Well, it's been almost a year so now I'm excited to have booked my next piece while on vacation in Austin a month from now! I'm in with Jon Sproul at Moon Tattoo and he's going to be filling in the last remaining spot on my leg, so (once reasonably healed) I'll be posting in both the Latest Tattoo Lowdown and the Squidpants threads. 
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics

• Similar Content

• By ByeBye
      I wanna get lasered on this tattoo but I wonder if it will be worth it? Its super dark. Would it even go away completely or at all? Should I just fade for a cover up? 

• By truejew
      Now Casting Spike TV's Ink Master Season 2 in NYC!
      Here it is guys! Our chance to become an INK MASTER!
      I am not surprised seeing this advertised on Craigslist. Those producers probably don't even know what type of real talent exists.
    • By rosskjones
      www.rosskjones.com
      Howdy, i recently moved to los angeles and am now working at art and soul tattoos. www.artandsoultattoos.com
      2600 south robertson blvd. los angeles ca. 90034
      310-202-7203
      rosskjones@hotmail.com
      Come and check out my stuff and get tattooed. I also tattoo out of a private studio in san francisco once a month.
    • By BugsyPageau
      My name is Bugsy Pageau, Im from Arizona and im into doing tattoos, looking at pictures of tattoos, painting, looking at paintings. I think im in the right place.
    • By abees
      Hadn't seen a thread for this?.. saw the page yesterday on facebook, can't wait to see it - https://www.facebook.com/TattooNationMovie
      "New Feature Documentary Film, Coming October 2012
      Tattoos used to be a sign of rebellion. A middle finger salute to the rest of the world. Outlaw bikers got tattoos. Sailors on leave in Singapore got tattoos. Lifers in the joint got tattoos.
      Now, your mother’s got a butterfly on her ankle and your kid’s sporting a tramp stamp. What happened? How did tattoos go from the renegade, readymade, carney cartoons inked as fast as possible to the art form they’ve become today?
      That transformation is the subject of the new documentary film, TATTOO NATION.
      TATTOO NATION tells how a few incarcerated but very talented Chicano artists changed the world of ink forever. It follows three tattoo pioneers, Charlie Cartwright, Jack Rudy and Freddy Negrete, and shows how a new, fine line style using detail and shading to achieve a remarkable realism revolutionized the world of ink.
      In 1975, Cartwright and Rudy boldly opened the first tattoo parlor in the heart of East LA’s Chicano community. They hired a recently paroled teenager who, while in jail, unknowingly established iconic images that spoke to an entire generation of Chicanos.
      Freddy Negrete became the first professional Chicano artist employed by a mainstream tattoo parlor - a tattoo parlor that was embraced as a new vehicle for self-expression by the Chicano community in East Los Angeles.
      For the first time, these legendary figures tell their stories in a feature-length documentary film. Included are other important figures such as David Oropeza and “Chuco” Caballero, winners of many prestigious tattoo competitions.
      Their victories brought international recognition to the uniquely American approach known as “Black & Grey”. The world of tattoo, and the way we regard tattoo, was forever changed."