Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding Tattoo

Regular

Bleeding Tattoo

I got tattooed today, pretty heavy solid black and I currently have my tattoo wrapped up.
    I've re-wrapped it a couple of times already, the second time I noticed part of my wrist has become wrinkled like after a bath and it's still bleeding under the wrap even though it's been 5-6 hours since the session ended.
    Is this a scab that's forming or something like that?
    Is it normal at all? It's never happened to me before but I've never had such solid black either.
    Sorry if there's a thread on this topic, I couldn't find one so I thought I'd ask about it.

Regular Contest Winner missStark's Avatar
    Images

Re: Bleeding Tattoo

I don't ever re-wrap my tattoos and I don't typically recommend doing that. If your skin is wrinkly like after a bath then it is definitely too moist. I personally would unwrap it, wash it and then just let it air out. If it seems kinda of goopy and wet then I wouldn't put any type of ointment or lotion on it yet either. Let it dry out a little and see if that helps. I've had some tattoos that have been very heavily packed with black and they get a little goopy like ink is coming out if I pat it with a paper towel. I have always jet let them dry out for a few days (regular cleaning but no lotion) and they have healed fine.
    Likes Duffa, Idahoink liked this.

Regular

I always wrap my tattoos for two days after the session, maybe not as long if it's hot.
    It's always worked for me, I think the wrap prevents not only from infection but scabbing as well by keeping the cream on the skin and not letting it rub off in your clothes etc.
    I'm more concerned about the bleeding to be honest but maybe it's just because my skin has been bruised pretty bad by the huge needles or something.

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

My understanding was that you need a scab to occur? You have an open wound and the natural healing process is for it to scab? I dry heal for about two days just having a shower morning and night and then start applying a little Bepanthen around the two day mark. Everyone is different, but it seems to work for me maybe a tattooer could jump in and offer some advice?

Whoops! @missStark - you tattoo if memory serves correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    Duffa to tattooer: Man, you smell like a wallaby just cracked a fat; can you make my tribal more tribal?

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

@aleksksks What did your tattooer tell you about aftercare?

Did he/she tell you to leave the wrapping on overnight or remove the wrapping when you get home and wash the tattoo etc?
    Likes ian liked this.

Regular

The tattooer didn't say anything actually so I assumed I should do the same thing I normally do.
    Anyway, it's not such a big deal, I think the bleeding is gonna stop overnight, it doesn't look that bad or anything, I was just wondering if it's common.

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

Bleeding isn't uncommon for the first day, especially if you've had a good bit of black packed in.

Once upon a time, the standard was to leave the original dressing on for 24 hours, minumum, and then reemove it and shower, keep the work moist with a light lotion. Now, more tattooists seem to recommend leaving the original dressing on for about 4 hours, and then cleaning the work and keeping it lighttly moistened.

If you've had it by now for what, almost a day? Gently wash it, let it dry completely. If you're oozing serum after washing it and letting it dry, pat it with a paper towel until the serum ooze stops.
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

Regular

Thanks for the advice, I've only had it for about 5-6 hours, I've had bleeding before but not on such a large scale, I guess I'm making it sound worse than it is.
    The tattoo looks awesome though.

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I'm sure it will. I kept the wrapping on overnight on a lower leg tattoo with a lot of solid colour.

Even with the wrapping I ended up with blood and ink all over the sheets. Gave it a thorough wash in the morning. Got all the gunk and crap off and it healed just fine.

As far as re-wrapping a tattoo, personally I wouldn't risk it. Having said that, tattoos can be healed this way but it is a laborious process and the procedure for washing, drying and re-wrapping has to be meticulous (I believe burns are healed this way).

Champion

i usually keep the wrap on for a few hours, remove it and wash it with anti-bacterial soap, let it air dry for two days and then use cocoa butter on that bitch. seems to work for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Support LST!