Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

9 minutes ago, LadySparrow said:

I have been admitted to university, so after 10 years of working full time I'm now working and studying. I'm happy, but also scared I can tell you :)

Congratulations!!! Having worked in higher education for 12 years now and as a college president for 5 I can tell you, you are not alone. We get many students who come to us after spending time working, raising a family or who just decide to make a life change. I have found that those people, with few exceptions, fare much better than students who enter right after high school. They are more focused, more mature and more willing to expend the effort to understand the material - in short, the do better despite having misgivings and concerns. You'll do great!!

Back in August, when I wrecked my motorcycle, I was headed to the board meeting of a group from various independent Christian churches in our area. Our main focus has been the planting of new congregations in and around our area. In the 30 or so years that I've been on the board, we have partnered in over 10 successful plants. This week I attended my last board meeting, vacating a spot to be filled with someone younger with new ideas. It's been a wild ride, and a lot of fun! I've made friends with men from the area that I really look up to.

For you younger guys, my advice is to not fear ministers, and go out of your way to make friends with them. Believer or not, they will be some of the best friends you'll ever have.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Edited by pidjones

On 11/19/2016 at 10:33 AM, LadySparrow said:

I have been admitted to university, so after 10 years of working full time I'm now working and studying. I'm happy, but also scared I can tell you :)

That's fantastic. I started college when I was 32. I had been sober a little over a year, had 2 kids, and had to work almost full time while taking a full load of classes. I found that I was older than a lot of my Professors (and pretty much all of the instructors) but that was good and we had a lot of respect for each other. 

I was always expected to lead group projects though so watch out for that. 

Also, when you are done you will have your schooling AND that work experience which puts you farther ahead of the game when it comes to competing for jobs. 

Been away for a while, had issues with my account and had to open another one. We got a new kitten in May, his name is Ivan. He's a feral rescue at 5 weeks old. A bit of a handful, but everyone loves him.

I got my old Ford insured and registered in July, have about 1200 miles on it. Running well and still de-bugging it.

731-002.JPG

629-016.JPG

629-015.JPG

629-032.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far 2017 is rewarding me for the challenges of 2016...

- Finally driving the turbo race car I've been dreaming about

- Slayed another Dragon Dance with my kung fu group and took our routine to a new level.

- Won an engineering contract to develop a major high voltage distribution system

- Working on the succession plan for me and my partners to takeover our engineering firm this year

- Reconnected with my tattoo sensei with my idea for a 2nd layer tattoo this season.

- Still thinking my armpit tattoo idea is not a bad idea lol

- Got tickets to DRI in April

...and who said tattooed people won't amount to anything ? thats what I thought! f*ck the status-quo

GET TATTOO & BE AWESOME :cool:

Edited by bongsau

Returned last week from two weeks in South India. In one of the villages that I visited, a young man approached me with a photo. He said "My name is Paul - you named me." In the photo taken in 2002 I am praying for a baby. The mother had brought the baby to me and asked me to give her son a "Christian name". Pretty awesome to meet him 15 years later.
abfccfc5ef254485f5edb411de2547d7.jpg

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Lynn always makes Valentine's Day special for us. She cooks a great meal and we just spend the entire evening together. After dinner, we decided to watch the first night of The Westminster Dog Show that we'd recorded. Crawled under a blanket in the family room and by 8 I was already drifting off to sleep. All of the stress and emotions of losing my Mom just finally washed out, I think. We were in bed by 8:30 and I was asleep by 8:31. Best night's sleep I've had in a month.

On Friday, we head off on a trip to Disneyworld - taking my son, his wife and our 3 grandkids. It's going to be a blast!!

Testing for my 2nd permanent brown belt in TKD tomorrow. My kids are both done now w/the tests in our dojang under our instructor and will be testing in June for their temporary black belts w/Grand Master Jung. I will test for mine next February. We were able to attend our instructor's test this past December when she tested and achieved 6th Dan, and then a couple weeks ago we attended the temporary black belt test of one of our students, and he promoted Monday so that was exciting. His son will be testing with my kids in June. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, iowagirl said:

Testing for my 2nd permanent brown belt in TKD tomorrow. My kids are both done now w/the tests in our dojang under our instructor and will be testing in June for their temporary black belts w/Grand Master Jung. I will test for mine next February. We were able to attend our instructor's test this past December when she tested and achieved 6th Dan, and then a couple weeks ago we attended the temporary black belt test of one of our students, and he promoted Monday so that was exciting. His son will be testing with my kids in June. 

Can't wait to hear the results!!!

Been away for about a week - Lynn and I took our son and his family to Disney World as part of our membership in the SKI Club...Spend the Kids Inheritance. We'd rather do things with them now than die and leave them money. It was the first time there for our daughter-in-law and our twin 8 year old grand daughters. Our son and grand son have been there before with us on an earlier trip when he was going through the divorce from his first wife.

What a great time we had. 5 days, 4 parks pretty much non-stop. Although the girls had a few moments along the way from being tired they were amazing - and rode every roller coaster and fist ride we went on. Their reactions were generally..that was really scary...let's do it again.

Here are Lynn and me enjoying dinner at Disney Springs a few hours before the rest of the family arrived.

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.9143f874523fd57a857413b9aaa26b8c.JPG

Me with our twin grand daughters taking a break at Epcot.

IMG_0055.thumb.JPG.3ae8b984b05ec6fc23d527eb31b606c7.JPG

And the winning event of the trip for the girls was having dinner with the Disney Princesses at Cinderella's Castle. For the quality of the food and the experience, well worth the cost. Lynn and I had champagne with dinner and the girls loved meeting the princesses who came to each table and signed autographs, talked with the girls and took pictures with them. And, we were inside the dining room - on the upper floor of the castle - during the fireworks so you got a truly unique view of watching them from inside the castle. The smiles say it all.

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.0f9f774915a359bacc9a20597519f667.JPG

@Devious6 Thanks! We're having a blizzard now, that started a couple hours earlier than predicted so not sure if we'll still have test tonight or not. Haven't heard anything yet so hopefully it won't be rescheduled.

Disney rocks! My parents took the four of us last March over spring break and it was SO DAMN FUN!

6 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

Ah, one week to go until we leave for a week in San Francisco. I've been to SF a bunch for work and some fun but never a week of full-on tourist stuff. We are going to eat, drink and be very merry. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to here them.

that sounds fun.

Edited by Dan