The Definitive American Tradtitional Tattoo Thread

otisc

so how about these four to start us off

the first two classics were done by Shannon Pagliarini at Crown and Anchor in Pt. Pleasant NJ. Great tattooer and super cool person.

Pharoah's Horses was done by Sheila Marcello at Electric Tattoo in Asbury Park NJ. Sheila is an amazing tattooer and also a real nice person too.

Rock of Ages is my most recent tattoo (until Friday hahaha). Anyway this was done by Robert Ryan at Electric as well. Rob is the man - it's not lost on me how awesome it is that Electric is so close to me. I'm lucky. Anyway - lets see what y'all got.

large.gallery_51036_30_1461690223_18252.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690241_18509.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690248_18632.jpglarge.image.jpeg

I haven't been getting tattooed much lately because I've been focused on one big piece for the past several months. I expect more traditional one shots in my near future! But here's what I've got so far when it comes to traditional style tattoos, and a little background on each:

Eagle and rose by Brian Via at Golden Ages in Lancaster, PA. I wanted something to represent my parents (still alive, not a memorial!). Brian is super laid back and the whole shop is really talented.
n56369.jpg

Also done by Brian, picked off his wall of things he wanted to tattoo. My first skull and not the last.
25i2iq9.jpg

Butterfly done by Antonio Roque in Frederick, MD. Really cool guy especially considering he's kind of "Instagram famous" with over 50k followers...easy to book with, charged me actually way less than he should have (and got a big tip as a result), and no ego at all.
2rh36ug.jpg

Panther and rose by Chad Koeplinger when he came through DC. He's one of my artistic idols and I was kind of star struck to meet him. Fun guy to talk to and I was amazed at his speed (this took less than 2 hours, including all the time we spent talking about movies). But wow does he hurt like no one's business! I wanted him to do this spot (inner bicep) to get it over with as quick as possible, but he's pretty brutal! Anyway, I asked him for a panther and rose and said he could do whatever he wanted with those subjects, so I got my whole inner arm blasted with this.
2lwlobb.jpg

44 minutes ago, marley mission said:

so how about these four to start us off

the first two classics were done by Shannon Pagliarini at Crown and Anchor in Pt. Pleasant NJ. Great tattooer and super cool person.

Pharoah's Horses was done by Sheila Marcello at Electric Tattoo in Asbury Park NJ. Sheila is an amazing tattooer and also a real nice person too.

Rock of Ages is my most recent tattoo (until Friday hahaha). Anyway this was done by Robert Ryan at Electric as well. Rob is the man - it's not lost on me how awesome it is that Electric is so close to me. I'm lucky. Anyway - lets see what y'all got.

large.gallery_51036_30_1461690223_18252.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690241_18509.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690248_18632.jpglarge.image.jpeg

Love that Octopus!

Lets go with a few more what the heck:

Becca Gene Bacon at The End is Near in Brooklyn with the fish rose morph. Becca is really nice and hit homeruns daily.

Rob Ryan with the Hand of Glory and Mandala Big Cat at Electric in Asbury NJ. Rob is a super fast and as nice as they come.

Steve Boltz with a flying fish at Smith St. in Brooklyn. What a great shop and Steve was filled with great conversation. I thought it was the coolest thing sitting down and having lunch with Steve after the tattoo. Gotta get back to Smith.

Sheila Marcello with this flying lady head on my collarbone. Sheila rocks. Electric in Asbury.

Rob Ryan again at Electric with some fish mandala knee magic.

Lastly I traveled to Maryland to the Wheaton Tattoo Paradise shop to get this fiery eyed lady from Chad Koeplinger on his 50 state tour. Got to meet a lovely LST member as well. A blast of a day (though way too much of it was spent in a car lol).

Anyway - love these picture heavy threads with cool tattoos so...lets keep going.

large.gallery_51036_30_1461690250_18706.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690274_19162.jpeglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690264_18972.jpeglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690263_18949.jpeglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690255_18800.jpglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690281_19326.jpeglarge.gallery_51036_30_1461690285_19388.jpeg

Edited by marley mission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I've only been getting tattooed since 2014, I think everybody has seen most of these recently, so it feels a little bit weird to submit them again so soon, haha. But I do have some pieces taken from very classic flash! I'm not sure that I ever posted all of them, anyway. All but the last one were done by Greg Whitehead, but I'm looking forward to getting more one-offs like this soon from other people!

The shoulder-area bird was my first tattoo, and it's a Percy Waters design. The snake in a flower pot is based on Dietzel flash, the diving girl is a Jensen piece and was actually sort of a filler, the elbow butterfly/rose is...uhh, actually, I'm not 100% sure. Someone said it was Jensen, but I don't remember if that's true. I remember Greg saying that it came from a whole lot of flash from the early 1900s that used to be attributed to a mystery artist, but was later identified as belonging to someone specific...I just can't for the life of me remember who it was. The lady with a snake is a Cap Coleman design, and I love her to bits.

The last one was Christopher Ayalin at Liberty, and I got it when I went on a fun tattoo day trip with @beez. A lot of people do flower/snake/dagger stuff, so I dunno...Jensen-ish? I guess? Aside from the color I guess it's still pretty classic traditional subject matter.

And now you have seen like half of my tattoos all at once!

watersbird.jpg

dietzsnake.jpg

Jensengirl.jpg

mysterybow(jensen).JPG

capcolemansnek.jpg

ayalindagger.JPG